Upper Michigan offroading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Upper Michigan offroading

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Upper Michigan offroading

This summer I will be taking a trip to the Newberry MI area coming in from the Wisconsin side. I'd like to stay off of highways as much as possible. Are there logging roads that would take me that route? Also looking for places to go offroading in the Jeep from Newberry south to St Ignace. I've down searches on offroading in MI but most trails I've found say they are for ATV's not Jeeps.

Unread 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Last fall eleven of us spent over 200 miles in the wood of the U.P. without even seeing the same trail twice. Check out the Hiawatha National Forest. It's located in the central U.P. and there are many maps available. The best part is that you will be 100% legal and welcomed. (You must purchase an ORV Sticker for $16.25) I used a forest service map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5155621.pdf and just plotted a course with a highlighter. A word of warning...don't just wing it. There are so many trails that it is almost overwhelming. You can go from Rapid River to Munising using nothing but trails. Google some more maps as I am 100% certain you will be able to go from Rapid River right to Newberry with very little roads. Surfaces range from sand, gravel, fire roads and two tracks. If you have any questions after plotting a course let me know as I am somewhat familiar with the area as well as some cool places to see.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
bridger04
1980 CJ7 

PURE Michigan!! I love it, thats great advice/info Mud Machine. I've had good luck in the western UP as well. Welcome indeed, yoopers love to have flatlanders spend their money on their turf. Everyones friendly, laid back, easy come easy go......if only the rest of the world would take note. Michigans sticker program is a success, now if wisconsin could get their act together. If not already doing so, WE all need to stand behind WOHVA as they fight for our privelage to wheel and more importantly help acheive a sticker program similar to MI's,,,,,,,,,,,,ahhhhhhh, the weathers getting warmer, time to load up the jeep point it north, and get the hell out of dodge, your trip begins at puremichigan.org
bridger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i heard drummond island is nice to wheel at upper michigan.
4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
JeepXJMike20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the great info. I ordered the DeLorme gazetter map book today.
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What looks promising is FR 2231 from Rapid River to Moss Lake. On the FRS map I don't see 2231 past Moss Lake. On Google maps 2231 is called 28 rd.
It looks like I can take 28 to 29 and take that to Indian Lake. Any comments on that stretch?
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I took this route. It looks like you are going to Big Springs on Indian Lake to ride the open bottom raft. If not you absolutely need to. I can give you more details if you are not. I will try to get a chance to scan and send you my route. It is highlighted all the way there and then on North to Munising. #2231 goes almost all the way to Indian Lake (this is mainly gravel but a nice ride in the national forest) but you will eventually have to pick another road/trail. We went a little north and then back south just to try out a trail. It was worth it. These roads (at least in most areas) are all marked with forest service numbered signs. Damn, now you are making me want to do it again. In fact if you want, P.M. me the date you are coming through and if I am open I might be able to show you the way, at least to Munising. We also took an awesome trail from Munising back to Rapid River. This was the coolest section we took. Partially because it was a fall run and it was like being in a tunnel of leaves. (See Pic) If this fits into your plans for the ride back I can try to get you that highlighted route also. Fun times ahead my fellow Jeeper.

Quote:

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

Unread 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
This summer I will be taking a trip to the Newberry MI area coming in from the Wisconsin side. I'd like to stay off of highways as much as possible. Are there logging roads that would take me that route? Also looking for places to go offroading in the Jeep from Newberry south to St Ignace. I've down searches on offroading in MI but most trails I've found say they are for ATV's not Jeeps.
Hey, look. Whatever you did, I am sure it was for a reason. Just turn yourself in and I am sure the law will take it easy on you. Good luck.
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
tunnel of leaves. (See Pic)
Awesome pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul olllllllo View Post
Hey, look. Whatever you did, I am sure it was for a reason. Just turn yourself in and I am sure the law will take it easy on you. Good luck.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Last fall eleven of us spent over 200 miles in the wood of the U.P. without even seeing the same trail twice. Check out the Hiawatha National Forest. It's located in the central U.P. and there are many maps available. The best part is that you will be 100% legal and welcomed. (You must purchase an ORV Sticker for $16.25) I used a forest service map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5155621.pdf and just plotted a course with a highlighter. A word of warning...don't just wing it. There are so many trails that it is almost overwhelming. You can go from Rapid River to Munising using nothing but trails. Google some more maps as I am 100% certain you will be able to go from Rapid River right to Newberry with very little roads. Surfaces range from sand, gravel, fire roads and two tracks. If you have any questions after plotting a course let me know as I am somewhat familiar with the area as well as some cool places to see.
Great post and thanks for the map link. I am going to Pictured Rocks this summer and plan to do some easy trails with the family. Your link will make it much easier.
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind this is not the only map for the area. There is another map to get you from Indian Lake area to Munising and a map to get you between Sault Ste Marie and St. Ignace. I haven't seen the last one yet. You can also call them for hard copies. It's more like a small booklet with many pages. They sent them to me free of charge. Again, they welcome you.

Another link.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/hiawatha/maps-pubs/?cid=FSEM_033530

Quote:

Unread 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Keep in mind this is not the only map for the area. There is another map to get you from Indian Lake area to Munising and a map to get you between Sault Ste Marie and St. Ignace. I haven't seen the last one yet. You can also call them for hard copies. It's more like a small booklet with many pages. They sent them to me free of charge. Again, they welcome you.

Another link.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/hiawatha/maps-pubs/?cid=FSEM_033530

Who exactly do you call? how do you know what map/maps to order? Ha, can you tell I am a city boy?
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I talked to the people at the Rapid River Ranger District at (906)474-6442. It was actully the Escanaba Ranger District but I couldn't find the number. Either will help you. Ask them for any available maps for the U.P. I believe they are by county. You could also explain the areas you are interested in. These maps would only be for portions of the Hiawatha National Forest not the entire forest or U.P. They may know who to contact for the other areas I'm not sure. Once you get into private land things will really change.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.