UP camping - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > UP camping

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Reply
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
BobA
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cadiz,KY
Posts: 803
UP camping

I'll be driving the dirt roads from copper harbor to whitefish point in late june. Are permits needed to just camp where ever I find a good spot (dispersed/backcountry). Primarily along lake superior. Are there areas that allow this type camping? I know within the pictured rocks area you have to be in the designated campgrounds but need to know about the areas outside of there,thanks.

__________________
01 TJ Sahara
6cyl. 5spd, D30 Aussie/D44 LSD,4.56 gears, RC2.5" lift, RC1.25" body lift, 33's

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 6,452
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...1303--,00.html

I've not camped the UP yet, but plan on it soon. I believe it to be similar to the upper LP. There are small campsites scattered about the state land that I roam about. You technically need to have the form mentioned in the link above, but I think I've only ever seen one of these. Coming from out of state, I'd suggest obtaining them to ensure trouble free camping. You will have to stop by a DNR office to get them.

You'll need a rec pass to go to any of the state parks. State parks will have showers and other amenities.

You'll also want an ORV tag if you're on any of the trails. I don't think an ORV tag is needed just for the state land, but I'd rather have it than not.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
UPcruiser
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Marquette, Michigan
Posts: 36
You are supposed to have one of those cards but Ive never seen or heard of anyone around here every using them in my life. all the times i camped at the tip of the Peninsula I never had one.
UPcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
BobA
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cadiz,KY
Posts: 803
I called the DNR and From what they told me the card/permit for dispersed camping is free and available at their office or any state campground. Looks like as long as I'm on state park property dispersed camping is allowed. Now I just need to find a map that has all the state park boundaries on it (DNR doesn't offer this).
__________________
01 TJ Sahara
6cyl. 5spd, D30 Aussie/D44 LSD,4.56 gears, RC2.5" lift, RC1.25" body lift, 33's

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 6,452
Let me go look at my county atlas to see if the boundaries are in it. It's in the garage. I think they are, but not sure.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 6,452
I just peeked at it and the state land is marked clearly.

http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-County-Atlas-State-Series/dp/0762501081
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
BobA
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cadiz,KY
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I just peeked at it and the state land is marked clearly.

http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Count.../dp/0762501081
Thanks. After doing more research it looks like the delorme atlas's are good to. and show everything. Got 10% off and free shipping from maps.com
__________________
01 TJ Sahara
6cyl. 5spd, D30 Aussie/D44 LSD,4.56 gears, RC2.5" lift, RC1.25" body lift, 33's

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 6,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
Thanks. After doing more research it looks like the delorme atlas's are good to. and show everything. Got 10% off and free shipping from maps.com
Noticed those reviews on Amazon, but I didn't want to recommend Delmore because I've never used them.

Enjoy your trip. Beautiful up there.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
phittie1100
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Burton, MI
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
I called the DNR and From what they told me the card/permit for dispersed camping is free and available at their office or any state campground. Looks like as long as I'm on state park property dispersed camping is allowed. Now I just need to find a map that has all the state park boundaries on it (DNR doesn't offer this).
The dispersed camping permit is for the state forests, not the state parks.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...1303--,00.html
__________________
Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
KD8PAV
phittie1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
czechsky
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 88
That will surely be a good time. Noticed that you are in KY. Are you making that trek with a Jeep club or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
I'll be driving the dirt roads from copper harbor to whitefish point in late june. Are permits needed to just camp where ever I find a good spot (dispersed/backcountry). Primarily along lake superior. Are there areas that allow this type camping? I know within the pictured rocks area you have to be in the designated campgrounds but need to know about the areas outside of there,thanks.
czechsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
BobA
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cadiz,KY
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsky View Post
That will surely be a good time. Noticed that you are in KY. Are you making that trek with a Jeep club or something?
Just my 2 kids and me. will be doing the mall of america first then head north.
__________________
01 TJ Sahara
6cyl. 5spd, D30 Aussie/D44 LSD,4.56 gears, RC2.5" lift, RC1.25" body lift, 33's

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
BobA
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cadiz,KY
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
The dispersed camping permit is for the state forests, not the state parks.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...1303--,00.html
I figured the state parks were kinda the same as the forest areas.I did find a map on Wikipedia that shows "state forest" areas. Hopefully when my Delorme atlas comes in the mail it'll show these areas in relation to roads,lakes,etc...
__________________
01 TJ Sahara
6cyl. 5spd, D30 Aussie/D44 LSD,4.56 gears, RC2.5" lift, RC1.25" body lift, 33's

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
czechsky
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 88
That should make for some great memories. Have a super time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
Just my 2 kids and me. will be doing the mall of america first then head north.
czechsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
phittie1100
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Burton, MI
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
I figured the state parks were kinda the same as the forest areas.I did find a map on Wikipedia that shows "state forest" areas. Hopefully when my Delorme atlas comes in the mail it'll show these areas in relation to roads,lakes,etc...
The Delorme Atlas/Gazetteer is what I carry in my pack too
__________________
Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
KD8PAV
phittie1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.