TRaverse City - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > TRaverse City

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
HeavyArms
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsont
Definitely go to dog party in copemish. That's coming up real soon
Skip dogparty1 and goto the rest. The past few years its just been a bumper to bumper drunk fest. Last year i was almost hit 2-3 times. Summer dogparty was a blast thou. If there was all off 100 rigs id be surprised. Just avoid picker valley. If you pass a group of buggys coming out of a trail that kinda my red flag to go a different direction. The trails there arnt marked very well (red, blue, orange, and a few others).

So far my experience of wheeling up that way has been tainted. Theres a black xj with cut fenders, 33" bfg mall terrains and a rustys lift up that way, the kids a joke. Wheeling on illegal property isnt my thing i guess.

Different strokes for different fokes i guess

Unread 12-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
olsont
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So not many people at the other dog parties?
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
HeavyArms
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsont
So not many people at the other dog parties?
If bumper to bumper drunk fest is ur thing goto dogparty1. Dogparty2 isnt as bad. Summer dogparty this year was amazing. I think like 200 rigs showed up instead of almost 1000.

But me, i love going to the park on non-event weekends. Its actually a great place when not over run.
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #19
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know what you guys are talking about who say there's no good wheeling around TC. Sure there's nothing right in TC but a few miles toward kalkaska and Williamsburg there's tons of good hard wheeling. You just have to know where your going, I can jump on a two track off M72 and be on some good wheeling all day. It's mostly giant sandy hill climbs but there is some off camber and technical stuff too.

Try taking 72 up about half way between Kalkaska and Acme to the elk lake over look, there's a little trail off to the right of the parking lot, that trail will get you to some hard trails. You will be out there all day though if you don't turn around. There's tons of good trails out in Kalkaska to, if been wheeling around there my whole life so I know pretty much where all the good wheeling is at.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
sdault
2009 JK Wrangler 

CDW, could you give better details a GPS coordinates to the overlook? Plan on going up to TC this summer and this sounds like a fun area.
sdault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
bobjp

I'd like better directions as well. Are you sure it's legal? I've never found anything like you describe in Michigan.
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #22
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp
I'd like better directions as well. Are you sure it's legal? I've never found anything like you describe in Michigan.
Where at in MI do you live? You really need to just get out more and explore, there's hundreds of thousands of acres of state land, all legal. I can literally spend all day in the woods running trails in the TC and Kalkaska area and not see an other person. There is a bunch of trails that a stock jeep can handle and a ton which would need a locker and bigger tires...

Here's a video of some of the easier stuff around TC that I wheel. This was back when my jeep was not very built but I run a lot harder stuff now.
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #23
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post

Where at in MI do you live? You really need to just get out more and explore, there's hundreds of thousands of acres of state land, all legal. I can literally spend all day in the woods running trails in the TC and Kalkaska area and not see an other person. There is a bunch of trails that a stock jeep can handle and a ton which would need a locker and bigger tires...

Here's a video of some of the easier stuff around TC that I wheel. This was back when my jeep was not very built but I run a lot harder stuff now.
Video Link: http://youtu.be/FnjgaP9pZ_k
You need to be careful of that "harder stuff" you are referring to. On state land, a two track that is not part of the marked ORV system is only legal for your licensed vehicle if it can be traveled in a conventional 2wd vehicle. Grandma's Buick does not have lockers, if you need them on state land you run the risk of a ticket. "Creating an erosive condition" is the charge, and it is a misdemeanor, not a traffic ticket.
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #24
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post

http://youtu.be/FnjgaP9pZ_k
I've never explored the 2 state forests near Kalkaska so I'll have to check them out.

But it's like Phittie said, the harder stuff tends not to be legal. I've been all over the other state and national land in the LP and UP and never found anything legal that requires more than a stock Jeep in 2wd (with the exception of when there's snow).
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #25
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp

I've never explored the 2 state forests near Kalkaska so I'll have to check them out.

But it's like Phittie said, the harder stuff tends not to be legal. I've been all over the other state and national land in the LP and UP and never found anything legal that requires more than a stock Jeep in 2wd (with the exception of when there's snow).
None of that was in a state or national forest just state land. Yes, there's is stuff out there that is much harder on state land that is legal, I wheel it almost every weekend in the summer.

Unread 01-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #26
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100

You need to be careful of that "harder stuff" you are referring to. On state land, a two track that is not part of the marked ORV system is only legal for your licensed vehicle if it can be traveled in a conventional 2wd vehicle. Grandma's Buick does not have lockers, if you need them on state land you run the risk of a ticket. "Creating an erosive condition" is the charge, and it is a misdemeanor, not a traffic ticket.
I've never had a problem with it and I've been I that area my whole life along with many others I know an I've passed many DNR trucks. There's so many trails that you can't make in a two wheel drive vehicle I guess I'll have to remove my Tcase and replace my front axle with a solid beam just so I don't do any thing illegal.

Unread 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #27
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's some pics of a trail I run a lot. Think you can make that in 2wd I don think so, I couldn't even make it in 4wd with one locker aired down to 8psi.

Unread 01-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #28
bobjp

It looks like a nice area. I'll have to check it out.
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
sdault
2009 JK Wrangler 

CDW, can you explain where Eagle Lake Overlook is of 72. I'm not from the TC area, but may be up there this summer.

Just a little advice on what may be legal or not from your first picture. The trail in the center going up the hill and the one running along the bottom of the hill maybe considered legal. The one on the left going up the hill, plus the one your driving on may not be. I've talked to 2 different DNR officers at the Jeep Blessing the last 2 years and was given the same advice. If on state land to play it safe most DNR officers will not ticket you if the trail is well used, sand or stone driving area. If the trail is just a two track with growth (like the 3 in the left of the 3rd picture) in the two track area it could be illegal and a ticket given.

In the National Forest you must know what trails are opened since they now have MVUM map done. Even if the trail has a posted number sign it may not be open.

Most of the time the DNR/National Forest officers are easy to work with if you play it nice. They will ticket groups out tearing up the illegal/closed trails. Even flying through mud holes in the trail or bypassing them can be cause for a ticket.
sdault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdault
CDW, can you explain where Eagle Lake Overlook is of 72. I'm not from the TC area, but may be up there this summer.

Just a little advice on what may be legal or not from your first picture. The trail in the center going up the hill and the one running along the bottom of the hill maybe considered legal. The one on the left going up the hill, plus the one your driving on may not be. I've talked to 2 different DNR officers at the Jeep Blessing the last 2 years and was given the same advice. If on state land to play it safe most DNR officers will not ticket you if the trail is well used, sand or stone driving area. If the trail is just a two track with growth (like the 3 in the left of the 3rd picture) in the two track area it could be illegal and a ticket given.

In the National Forest you must know what trails are opened since they now have MVUM map done. Even if the trail has a posted number sign it may not be open.

Most of the time the DNR/National Forest officers are easy to work with if you play it nice. They will ticket groups out tearing up the illegal/closed trails. Even flying through mud holes in the trail or bypassing them can be cause for a ticket.
It's the Elk lake over look, it's about 10 miles west of Kalkaska, it's on the left if your going toward Acme. There's a nice paved half circle parking lot and then a vey steep foot trail that goes straight up about 1000 feet. The trail is off to the side of the parking lot you can't miss it. It's called Towerline Rd, you can GPS it. If you go make sure you have someone with you because if oh to town one hill into a valley you might not make it back up the other side or a winch. Make sure also have a GPS with my because there are so many trails that cross over each other it's really easy to get lost. Most the trails in that area will put you out on Supply Rd which is a good 30 miles in spots so just make sure you don't get lost or break if your alone.

The pic I posted that you are talking about is on my 40 acre property. I just posted it to show there is some challenging wheeling in the area but that is the type of terrain you will see on Towerline Rd it's just in the woods and really tight.

This video isn't mine but it someone wheeling Towerline Rd. They start right from M72 and the over look parking lot but they only run about a mile of it and turn around. At least it gives ya an idea if what's there.
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

jeep parts

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.