Trails in U.P. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Trails in U.P.

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
ayosick
2002 KJ Liberty 

Trails in U.P.

Hey does anyone know of any trails tthat are in the area of Houghton, Michigan. I go to college at Michigan tech and we are looking for some wheeling trails that are in the area. I know of some trails up near cliff drive and some around whealkate. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any places that are good.

ayosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
eblack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The U.P. is an offroaders dream. So many trail, alot of public land and everything from snow to rocks. I am in Marquette and a member of the NMU TrailCats. I know that MTU has a club but, I have heard mixed feelings about them being as though everyone wants to be on 40's. Id contact the club and see what they have to say. BTW Spring Opener April 20 in Marquette, should be alot of fun and alot of people. PM me for more info if you want to come out.
eblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
jdizzle2004
2004 LJ Wrangler 

april 20 wheeling in UP

Is this during the weekday that yall go out or anything during the weekend?

Thanks
jdizzle2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
tofuzeppelin

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah i dont have my XJ up to marquette here but i still have found a good few trails with my buddys in his Dakota, best piece of advice is just to drive out on some back roads and check out the side trails out there, exploring a new area is alwoys one of the best parts of off roading and once in a while you end up on private property but they usually have it marked but round here there is soooo mutch public land you can alwoys find something good,

hey eblack if i threw down some gas money could i go out with you guys one trip, ill have my Cherokee up here next year but now..now so mutch

WTB TJ hard top, let me know what cha got
tofuzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
eblack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the typote guys its saturday april 17th.

First off the TrailCats wheel almost every saturday. An awesome group of guys, we have every tool you could need from welders to tube benders and knowledge is uncomparable. something like 20 people just love wheeling and good times. No gas money needed, PM me and ill give you the details of the meetings every thursday.

You and your buddy should come on out as we usually have anywhere from 6-15 trucks with us. I came up here not knowing how to do a damn oil change, now i can just about do everything I need on my jeep and anything I dont know another club memeber might. We all hangout almost everyday so shoot me a PM.

BTW in the U.P. although fun its never all that fun to wheel alone because its so vast that its really hard to find people when out in the woods and most of the time you have no cell signal. Almost always someone to wheel with on a daily basis expecially as spring nears. Let me know..

Gene
VP NMU of TrailCats

Last edited by eblack; 03-16-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
eblack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also anyone in the U.P. or close come on out for Spring Opener April 17th.

Bring whatever, Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Moster Trucks or whatever. Get in touch with me and ill give you the details. Everything from Mud, Rocks, stocker run cheater trails to insane built wheelers.

I ran open front and rear all last year with minimal lift and was fine. A stock jeep could make alot of the trails and if you cant just go around it as their is always a cheater trail. Plus if you break anything we can fix it.
Unread 03-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
jahlborn
2006 WK 

eblack, pm me on some info, im from houghton and will hopefully have my grand cherokee lifted by then.

ayosick- hey im from houghton and am definetly up for exploring some trails around here. I havent really done much offroading, but am hoping to this summer with my new jeep. Let me know if u ever want to go out and find some trails!
1988 Comanche-New Project
jahlborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
ayosick
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yeah feel free to hit me up anytime. I have not done much myself either. Mainly just just riding with my buddy in his XJ. Send me pm whenever you want to head out sometime. Maybe wait till a little more of the snow is gone.
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
jahlborn
2006 WK 

Sounds good! I just ordered a lift and skid plates for my 06 grand Cherokee...should be ready to go by late April.
Unread 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
ayosick
2002 KJ Liberty 

Nice. I want to do some **** to mine. Just need to get the money.
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah lot's of trails in and around Houghton - I was there for 5 years at tech, and a fellow alumni of the MTU wheelers. Yeah they have some big rigs, but I feel it's toned down some, when I was there, we had more fullsize rigs, now it's mainly jeepers. Just remember to stay off the snowmobil trails till spring - can't remember the exact date when the "snowmobil only rule applies" is lifted.

I'm lucky - I have 80 acres up there to play on - lots of rocks and woods. Going to start slowly making some trails on the land, and hopefully buy some more adjacent sections.
92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
jahlborn
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92XJT View Post
I'm lucky - I have 80 acres up there to play on - lots of rocks and woods. Going to start slowly making some trails on the land, and hopefully buy some more adjacent sections.
Let me know if you do! I would LOVE to help you with that! Having a offroad park up here is my ULTIMATE DREAM! Where is your land at? Like relative location, i promise i wont go lookin for it haha
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

lol - oh you can find it, but it's a shot on site law there, one perk to living in the boonies. It's in Michigamme - so from Houghton about 62miles. Getting the back 40 logged now, just pines / softwood, but that should open it up pretty good. Got some nice rock formations to play on, plus going to be making another driveway to the house that will be a nice rock crawl section. I'll have to look for some pics - we took some of the terrain awhile back to show people some of the potential. We'll be up there in May with the Powerwagon so I may go out back and see what's what after all this logging.
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
jahlborn
2006 WK 

Wow, sounds like an offroaders dream...i know id be there everyweekend!
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

lol - yeah so would I but for me it's about a 7hr drive now. I'm hoping once this new mine opens up I may submit a resume, since the processing plant is only 14 miles from that place. Already got the pole barn setup 28x42 with 220 going out to it so if it ever does become an "offroad" park will be able to make some repairs. Once I get my CJ done I want to get it up there and do some wheeling (course according to the wife that will be a few more year till it's done - lol).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.