Trail Report Huron National Forest 03/17/12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Trail Report Huron National Forest 03/17/12

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 03-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
efrench515
2012 WK 

Trail Report Huron National Forest 03/17/12

Since it was a perfect day today I decided it was a great time to take my WK2 on it's first off road adventure. Here is a quick overview of the trails I traveled between MIO and Rose City.

Equipment: 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo X with Off road adventure package II. Stock with the exception of removing the front spoiler winglets.

Trail 4233: Some light snow cover and some water on the trail, there were some small downed trees, I cleared all down trees and the trail is easily passable

Trail 4227:A couple of spots with 2-4 inches of snow mostly on the north side of hills, a couple of muddy spots less than an inch deep with a solid base. There were several downed treas which I cleared and the trail is now passable with just a little caution on the snowy uphill sections

Trail 4460 North of Trail 4462: Several Large down treas but you can work your way around them, couple minor spots with snow and mud the trail is easily passable

Trail 4460 South of trail 4462: Several Large trees some areas I had to drive over part of the tree, Several patched of snow, several muddy areas but with a solid base. This section of the trail would have been easily passable if it was not for all the fallen trees.

Trail 4466: Lots of snow up to 8 inches, the snow had been hard packed but due to the warm weather I was breaking through to the trail. About 1/2 mile east of trail 4460 there were several large trees that completely blocked the road that I could not clear. There was also a stretch of about 300 yards that had 2+ inches of mud with a solid base. This trail is currently unpassable (at least with my equipment)

Trail 4979 east from 4460 to 4147: This presented a difficult uphill climb in about 8 inches of snow. I am sure Better tires would have made this easy but the stock tires we really struggling. Once again the snow was hard packed and melting causing me to break through.

Trail 4147 south from 4979 to Deckerville Rd: Several Deep areas of hard packed and melting snow up 12 inches, Several areas of mud some 6+ inches deep, lots of down trees but you can work your way around most. There was and uphill section just north of 4192 that had deep snow with running water and mud under the deep snow, there was a small tree blocking about 75% of the trail, I had no choice except to hit the tree or I would have been stuck. Fortunately it does not appear this tree caused any damage. During this uphill section my underbody was dragging on the snow cover, there we also a couple of areas the that caused me to take evasive action. This trail was near the limit of ability for a WK2 with no lift and stock tires. I never used 4-low but I did have to keep my speed up and I suspect I pushed my WK2 harder than most people would, but hey it's a Jeep so I drive it like one.

Overall we had a great day, lots of fun, treaded as lightly as possible, groomed a couple of small trails, and saw several deer. Not a bad way to spend St Patricks Day

if you need a copy of the Huron National Forest motor vehicle use map here is the link

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5145176.pdf

Unread 03-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Great to hear you were able to get out for a nice day on the trails and that the the WK2 handled it well. I agree that the 4wd system and traction control on these WK2's is very good, and definitely helps compensate for the lack of ground clearance (sometimes) and especially articulation. Thanks for the great report.
MaineJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
45williams
2008 KK Liberty 

Great report I have always wanted to take the jeep out in that area but don't know where to start. Now I do.
Thanks
45williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good report. I too would like to visit that area. I've been past it 1000 times but never ventured in.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
Nice report. Added HNF to the list of places to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.