Some more silver lake questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Some more silver lake questions

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 08-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
gonejeepin247
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Some more silver lake questions

Me and my buddy are taking some friends up to the dunes Aug 24-26. I have a few questions that I couldn't find using search, With 4 people in my jeep what should my psi be? Do a lot of people use cbs up there and if so what is the channel? Has anyone ever stayed at the backcountry camp called white pine and how did you like it? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

gonejeepin247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
gonejeepin247
1999 TJ Wrangler 

oh ya, is there anywhere you can take off the doors
Unread 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
ET48
1986 CJ7 

PSI depends mainly on your tires, width, and wheels. CBs are optional and use whatever channel isn't being used. I have never stayed at the camp.

Doors are not needed. Make sure you have seatbelts and etc.....
ET48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
gonejeepin247
1999 TJ Wrangler 

where can you keep the doors though
Unread 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
surprise07
1997 TJ Wrangler 

just went up this past weekend, i left my doors and top at our campsite, that is up to you if you are a trusting person or not though... there are no specified places to leave them if thats what you mean.. I have 31x10.5 toyo Open Country's and went down to about 8-10 PSI and had no problem going up anything (i only had 1 passenger), I was in 2 wheel mode most of the time unless going up the bigger dunes. I was actually a little disappointed there wasn't something that I couldn't make it up as weird as that may sound. You can't be afraid to use speed to your advantage, especially if you are stock it will help you make it that last 10ft at the top of the hill. You will have to nail down your approach after a few runs, I found I could crawl in 2nd until just before the serious uphill grade starts, floor it and make it up just fine. Also we got a crap ton of rain this weekend so be careful if you play in the puddles, which look like small lakes now! I was able to drive across and through most of them without to many problems. (I have 5 inch lift in front and 4 inch in back and a cowl intake) The cowl intake saved me a few times when deep dips would come out of nowhere!, and i towed out 2 hydrolocked jeeps this weekend 1 wrangler and 1 cherokee, so i would recommend walking any water you plan to drive through first...

All in all I had a great time, with only a few incidents (starter power wire broke off at connector, and found out front JKS adj track bar and axle don't get along when landing from "accidental" jumps thats what I told my girlfriend at least, and my entire interior is soaked and has enough sand in it to fill a sandbox! I had the top and doors off the whole time, sand isnt too bad to get out but once it got soaked from going through water it is a little more difficult!

The cheapest flags are right next to the park entrance, the places near town by the lake are more expensive, and for an ORV and park sticker i would get it right at the park also.

If possible, BRING YOUR OWN TOOLS! there are no real auto shops around the dunes and the closest is in Hart about 20 Minutes away and they charge pretty outrageous prices. There is a NAPA and a ACE hardware in Hart if needed.
surprise07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonejeepin247 View Post
where can you keep the doors though
At camp, in the rear of your jeep, in your tow vehicle...........

And yes, you should bring your own tools if possible. And towstrap...
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
08rubi
2009 JK Wrangler 

well i just went up in my jk unlimited and i had five people in the jeep i was runnning about 15 psi because my dad didnt want the tires to get off the rims but it is a ton of fun
08rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
ET48
1986 CJ7 

No thread worth without pics:

Unread 08-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
laffman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Me and my buddy are taking some friends up to the dunes Aug 24-26. I have a few questions that I couldn't find using search, With 4 people in my jeep what should my psi be?
Drop down to about 5-7 psi. You should fine with BFG's. You want the tread to bulge out or pancake. The tires need a little bit of pucker to get thru the sand.

When going up the big hills, always stay in 1st gear. You don't need speed to get up these.

Quote:
Has anyone ever stayed at the backcountry camp called white pine and how did you like it? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
I'm a seasonal camper (I lease the site for the year) at Silver Lake Resort and Campground. One of the best campgrounds in the area. About a half mile out of town.

Some more pics:

Unread 08-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
smokie123
1983 CJ7 

Hey buddy, I live 2 hours from the dunes and go often. We always stay at the Silver Creeek campground but stayed at the Yogi Bear one night because Silver Creek was full. I would recomend either of those camp grounds and have a buddy that has stayed at the Silver Lake RV Resort and they liked it as well. There is a State Park camp ground there but it is always full it seems like. All are very close to the enterance to the sand dunes.
As far as tire pressure for your Jeep all I can tell you is what you feel comfertable with is best. The lower you go the better traction. I run 8 psi in my street tires when I run those on the dunes and run 5 psi in my sand tires when I run those. If your not sure I would start out at 10 psi and see how it goes. As long as you don't do quick, fast turns you will not have any problems even at low pressures like 8psi. Hope that helps....
smokie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.