Serious Off-Roading spots? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Serious Off-Roading spots?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 02-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
jeepadmin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Serious Off-Roading spots?

Me and the boys are growing bored. Yeah, there are the parks, and those are fun, but there is something nice about being out in the middle of nowhere. Not being surrounded by 100 other rigs.
We're looking for any trails in Lower Peninsula that anyone knows of that are good trails. Present some challenges. Most of the DNR Routes are basically dirt roads. Sight seeing routes is what we call them. Anyone know of some decent trails anywhere?

Anywhere?

jeepadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Alboy79
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck.
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

In the snow/ice, those boring, mostly flat sandy roads can be a hoot and a half.

The rest of the year, anyplace on state land in the LP that has entertainment value might earn you a ticket.

Been to Drummond Island?
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
MTNGIRL1
1998 ZJ 

Awesome trails in central U.P., plenty of seasonal roads less traveled in winter and lil civilization. Plenty of inexpensive lodging.
MTNGIRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
bobjp

Sorry, you're not going to have much luck. Outside of the parks, there's just not much challenging that's legal. I agree with you that it's far more fun to be out in the wilderness than surrounded by other people on a couple acres.

However, as mentioned, snow can turn otherwise boring seasonal roads into interesting trails. I recommend checking out any of the state and national forrests when there's snow. I assume you've been to Manistee? But it's not fun to get stuck on a snowy trail with nobody to pull you out so make sure your Jeep can handle the amount of snow. You should also be mindful of snowmobiles.

In the below thread, a user mentions good wheeling between Traverse City and Kalkaska. I checked out this area last weekend. There's potential, but I was limited by the amount of snow so I could not fully explore.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/traverse-city-995463/index3.html

The UP is also more interesting than the LP. The Keweenaw has some nice trails and there are some in Hiawatha National Forrest. I went up that way in late fall and would recommend it to anyone. There was just enough snow on the ground to make it interesting, and there was nobody else around.

Drummond Island is supposedly good. I've never been so it's on my list this year.

Go to the Michigan DNR website for a list of all ORV trails. It will tell you which trails re open to Jeeps, and you can print all of the maps. Aside from seasonal roads, this is what you're limited to.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...8330--,00.html
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Look for impassible roads. That's what we do in spring. Some can be quiet interesting; otherwise good luck.
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

drummond island or bust. its the best legal public wheeling in michigan.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.