Rocks and Valleys/Bundy Hill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Rocks and Valleys/Bundy Hill

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
EagleXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rocks and Valleys/Bundy Hill

I haven't done much off-roading outside of Silver Lake and some mild, local trails, but am going to change that this summer! My question is to those who have been to either of the locations in the title or similar locations in the area: I'm presently at 4.5" of lift and 31". That's about the extent of the major mods I've done to the Jeep. I'm going to be putting some money into it and am wondering where it would come in most handy? I don't know what these trails look like so am limited in my ability to put the money where it would best go? Lockers maybe? Some armor?

Project Snow Swanper - http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...wamper-164796/
EagleXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Alboy79
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1. Lockers
2. Winch
3. Go wheeling
Unread 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
EagleXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How does a front locker affect your steering off-road (like with 4x4 applied)?

Unread 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
jeepsnmopars
2012 JK Wrangler 

I agree lockers and winch are best. I have only been to Rocks and Valleys. Nice thing is that you can work you way up from trails a car could drive on to black diamond as you build up your rig. There are also plenty of folks to help you out if you get into trouble.
jeepsnmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Downforce
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've been to both. R&V has more flex your rig out trails than Bundy Hill. Bundy Hill allows quads and bikes. So there is always a ton of people there. But they have way more mud areas with just ton of hills to climb. They did just open a mild or wild trail up which I think is there best trail. They are both great places to go....you can't go wrong with either place.
Downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleXJ View Post
How does a front locker affect your steering off-road (like with 4x4 applied)?
No affect at all as long as you want to go in a straight line! Actually in the dirt your steering will be stiff, but not too bad. And hardly a problem in mud, snow or sand.
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
EagleXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Cool. Thanks for the impute everyone!

Unread 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
bobjp

You will have no problems at either place. There is plenty to do even with a stock Jeep.

Don't do any upgrades yet. Go out, find out what you really want/need, and then spend the money. A front locker will probably be the best bang for the buck. I still have to install mine and try it, but from my experience at both parks, traction is the issue.
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
EagleXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
You will have no problems at either place. There is plenty to do even with a stock Jeep.

Don't do any upgrades yet. Go out, find out what you really want/need, and then spend the money. A front locker will probably be the best bang for the buck. I still have to install mine and try it, but from my experience at both parks, traction is the issue.
I was thinking something like that.

Unread 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
NeedAWD
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i run a 99 cherokee at bundy hill all the time, 4.5 rustys lift on 33s and ive only found a couple places i cant make it with open diffs. Id spend some money on the experience of offroading. you have a really capable jeep just gotta find some stuff to have fun on.
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
orangejuice619

Ive ran my stock cherokee at both and done just fine. Some dragging of the undercarriage but thats ok. Lol at R&V my buddy got really stuck, we broke a truck rear bumper in half trying to pull him out. The owner had to get a bulldozer to get him out. Both very fun places though.
orangejuice619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.