ORV sticker question - JeepForum.com
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > ORV sticker question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Owosso, Michigan
Posts: 117
Question ORV sticker question

I'm new to the off road scene, and I have a few questions about ORV stickers. Do you need one to go on like two tracks in state land? I'm taking a trip up to Alpena and I'm going through Huron Natl forest and wanted to explore the trails through there a bit. Do I need to get an ORV sticker to legally do that?

Lost Dog. Info on Facebook, search Bring Ty Home. Spread the word. $5000 reward, lots of parts for your Jeep =]

Sovereign08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Registered User
2004 WJ 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 285
If your going on any trial that is not a fire lane, 2 wheel drive vehicle access, or designated a "road" then you will need an ORV sticker. This is what the DNR told me when I asked in April.
"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

~~~~ Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1984
JeepJeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
Registered User
2008 WK 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 2,760
For the $16.50, better safe than sorry.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 169
Originally Posted by JeepJeffW View Post
If your going on any trial that is not a fire lane, 2 wheel drive vehicle access, or designated a "road" then you will need an ORV sticker. This is what the DNR told me when I asked in April.
I think just about everything in the Huron National Forest is marked as a "road." I went through there last year and remember seeing signs at every corner. However, I agree that for $17 you're better safe than sorry.
panathinaikos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southgate, Michigan
Posts: 31
This is from the Michigan orv hand book-

ORV License

The DNR issues licenses for all ORVs on an annual basis. The annual fee for an ORV license is $16.25.
Licenses are valid from April 1 through March 31 of the following year, regardless of the date of purchase.
Vehicles that are licensed under the Motor Vehicle Code as "street vehicles" require an ORV license only when they are being used as an ORV. A street-licensed ORV does not need an ORV license to use forest roads, but it will need an ORV license if it is used on designated trails or in areas designated for cross-country use.
An ORV license is not required for street-licensed vehicles used on the frozen surface of public waters or designated ORV routes.
Private land owners, owners' family members, and their invited guests are not required to license ORVs that are operated exclusively on the owners' private property.
Licensing is required of ORVs used in areas open to public operations, regardless of whether the ORV is owned by a resident or nonresident of Michigan.

I always buy the sticker every year just incase i plan to hit a trail one of the many times I'm up north.
ScottyJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.