Newbie needs advice and education! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Newbie needs advice and education!

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 03-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
jpchurch34
2012 JK Wrangler 

Question Newbie needs advice and education!

School me. Is it stupid to take a brand new 2012 Rubicon off roading? Is it going to get all banged up or just dirty? Never been off road ever other than on a quad. Very excited and eager to learn and participate. Obviously i need to start on basic, easy trails first and learn. Probably need to go on guided tours.
Who wants to show me the way?
I live in Shiawassee County but have a place in Roscommon County too.

jpchurch34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes.. expect to get damage. Is it a guarantee that you will do damage? No. But you have to pay to play. Sure you can do easy open trails.. but eventually you will get bored with those and try more difficult stuff. There are a lot of people who buy brand new offroad vehicles just for the purpose of taking them offroad. I currently only have one vehicle and I take it offroading. I expect something to break at some point. But, youre on the right track. Go with someone who knows what they are doing first.. perhaps in their rig.. so you will know what to expect. Prepare to get hooked on it though.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
I found this book helpful. http://www.amazon.com/4-Wheel-Freedom-The-Off-Road-Driving/dp/0873648919/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332445663&sr=8-1
If you don't have a winch, make sure you have a Hi-lift jack and some chains and a rescue strap. Make sure to bring a friend in a second vehicle in case you break down. Keep in mind that your Jeep is new, there may be a defective part or 2 on it that could break without you doing anything wrong.
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Silver Lake State Park is a great place to get the feel for your new Jeep. The sand can take a bit of getting used to. The first time I went there I thought airing down my tires meant dropping from 40psi to 25psi, and after I struggled for a while a passerby showed me how to use automatic deflators. Once I got over the shock of looking at my nearly flat tires we had a blast the rest of the day.

There will be a group of us heading there Sunday 4-22-12 if you want to tag along. More details at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/...012-a-1346730/
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
jpchurch34
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks much. very interesting. I will keep that in mind.
Unread 03-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
jpchurch34
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.