Michigan ORV regulations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Michigan ORV regulations

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Question Michigan ORV regulations

I'm looking for some guidance regarding some Michigan ORV regulations. I have a 2000 TJ that I plan to use on some DNR and Forest Service ORV trails but some of the rules are fuzzy.

Specifically regarding "spark arrestors" and "DOT approved crash helmets". Both of these requirements seem more related to dirt bikes and the like but I have been unable to find anywhere that specifically explains it.

I'm wanting to take my Jeep to Silver Lake Dunes in April and want to make sure I have what I need before I get there.

Any info would be great

Thanks

noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

this should help http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/
medicbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What we have here in Michigan are ORV rules written for the dirt bike and quad crowd. Sometimes there is trouble relating that to full size, street legal vehicles.

As far as your specific questions, your factory exhaust system is all that is required. The muffler astc as a spark arrestor already.

Helmets are only required when there is no factory hard roof or roll bar protecting the occupants. Your Tj has a full roll bar fromt he factory. This is an approved set up for entry into the park. No helmet required.

For Silver Lake, you will need an ORV sticker and a state park Motor Vehicle permit which can be purchased anywhere a fishing or hunting license is sold. Also available at most state park offices.

You will also need an orange flag which touches a hanging board at the tech inspection station. I believe the height is 10 feet from the ground. There are stores and gas station near the park which sell these flags for around $20 or $25. They come with a nut and can be attached directly to your front bumper. Places in the area can help you with installation.

On busy weekends there is a voucher system in place, but that should not be an issue in April.

For any wheeling make sure you have solid tow points front and rear. Recovery equipment should at least consist of a recovery strap (looped ends, no metal hooks). A CB radio is helpful and can even add to the enjoyment with the banter that goes on.

For more information on the fuzzy Off Road rules in Michigan you can start here: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr

To see what you can do to support full size off roading activities in Michigan and get more questions answered, try here: www.glfwda.org
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks a ton - this is exactly what i needed.
noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.