Michigan ORV regulations - JeepForum.com
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Michigan ORV regulations

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 526
Question Michigan ORV regulations

I'm looking for some guidance regarding some Michigan ORV regulations. I have a 2000 TJ that I plan to use on some DNR and Forest Service ORV trails but some of the rules are fuzzy.

Specifically regarding "spark arrestors" and "DOT approved crash helmets". Both of these requirements seem more related to dirt bikes and the like but I have been unable to find anywhere that specifically explains it.

I'm wanting to take my Jeep to Silver Lake Dunes in April and want to make sure I have what I need before I get there.

Any info would be great


noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: watertown/ft drum, ny
Posts: 863
this should help http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/
medicbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oak Park, Michigan
Posts: 851
What we have here in Michigan are ORV rules written for the dirt bike and quad crowd. Sometimes there is trouble relating that to full size, street legal vehicles.

As far as your specific questions, your factory exhaust system is all that is required. The muffler astc as a spark arrestor already.

Helmets are only required when there is no factory hard roof or roll bar protecting the occupants. Your Tj has a full roll bar fromt he factory. This is an approved set up for entry into the park. No helmet required.

For Silver Lake, you will need an ORV sticker and a state park Motor Vehicle permit which can be purchased anywhere a fishing or hunting license is sold. Also available at most state park offices.

You will also need an orange flag which touches a hanging board at the tech inspection station. I believe the height is 10 feet from the ground. There are stores and gas station near the park which sell these flags for around $20 or $25. They come with a nut and can be attached directly to your front bumper. Places in the area can help you with installation.

On busy weekends there is a voucher system in place, but that should not be an issue in April.

For any wheeling make sure you have solid tow points front and rear. Recovery equipment should at least consist of a recovery strap (looped ends, no metal hooks). A CB radio is helpful and can even add to the enjoyment with the banter that goes on.

For more information on the fuzzy Off Road rules in Michigan you can start here: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr

To see what you can do to support full size off roading activities in Michigan and get more questions answered, try here: www.glfwda.org
'00 TJ With toys, lift and tires.
'10 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4. Daily driver and tow rig
'05 Dodge Neon. Wifes daily driver and gas sipper.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jackson, MI
Posts: 526
thanks a ton - this is exactly what i needed.
noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.