Legal Trails in Michgan Listed. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Legal Trails in Michgan Listed.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
jeepadmin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Those three or four UP trails originally posted in the question I have rode just recently (10/20 thru 10/25) and they are all super simple trails. Nothing extreme or technical about any of them. I'll even go so far as to use the word boring if you're looking to actually use your jeep. You don't really need 4 wheel drive for most of them thought it would help. Some of those retired forest roads can get pretty sweet though. Drummond Island is pretty sweet. A few seasonal roads that got really crazy, even for my Rubi. And Turtle Ridge ORP is there too, I highly suggest that if you're lifted. Highway 41 ends in Copper Harbor, but there is some dirt roads that go way back to the very tip of the penninsula, again, if you're up that far, try those, nothing too crazy, but they can get a little hairy, and the view and solitude at the very tip, knowing you're the only ones for 15 miles or so is amazing.

jeepadmin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffman View Post
Nice video. I'm going up to Drummond Thursday night for a 4 day weekend. Your video just got me more excited. I've never been there but it looks great.
How was you're trip to Drummond. Any pics or stories to share? I really wish there were more challenging trails in Michigan.
tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
jeepadmin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Forget State Trails. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalmeto View Post
How was you're trip to Drummond. Any pics or stories to share? I really wish there were more challenging trails in Michigan.
Most of the trails in MI are easy trails ANY 4x4 can navigate. I'm learning through experience. I've started going to the Off-Road Parks. For half the price of a gas bill to the UP, you can get into these parks all day. I went to rocks and valleys on the 7th, and had more fun there the first half of the day then I did on ALL of the state trails I rode in the U.P. You can come in and out of the park all day to go refuel or eat, and the crew (rangers and owner), were all awesome. Super nice, knew what kind of trails we could handle and we had a blast. Plus they'll pull you out for nothing (maybe a tip) so you can keep going if you don't bring a winch. Does the DNR do that?!?!?!
jeepadmin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #19
Seanco
1978 CJ5 

Any addresses or web links for these off-road parks?

thanks for the post
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #20
Paul04TJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

rocksandvalleys.com

www.bundyhilloffroad.com

geneseecountyparks.org/mounds.htm

There's usually a gathering at the Mounds Thanksgiving morning. Many people from the Waterford area gather and convoy up there.

Check out Greatlakes4x4.com for more info on that.
Red Jeep Club Member # 269
'04 Wrangler 'X'
Paul04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #21
ronprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcali View Post
Denton trail is ORV and ATV. 20+miles ATV and about 10ish ORV.
Denton is also loaded with forest Rds and seasonal Rd that are to vast to guess on mileage. I run them all the time and after 25 years i still find new ways around.
Unread 10-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #22
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

st helen orv trails is pretty awesome. it really close to west branch like 10 minutes. i diffently had a good time up there. didnt cover all of it.
JeepXJMike20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #23
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The St. Helen ORV scramble area is a fun place to play around at with the sand hills, rock crawls, and trails.
tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalmeto View Post
The St. Helen ORV scramble area is a fun place to play around at with the sand hills, rock crawls, and trails.
yeah. i diffently want to make a snow wheeling trip around there.
JeepXJMike20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Two big snow runs up there every year - SnoFari in January and Snow Blind in February
Unread 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #26
palmrose2
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattylite View Post
this is where i ride my dirt bike/quad it sucks flying up over a hill and having a dune buggy/truck doing the same thing the other way
Flying over a hill blindly is asking for injury or death for the sake of a fleeting thrill.
15x8 4.5 BS Rock Crawler Extreme Steel
What are sway bars?
palmrose2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #27
grantdoug
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The link for Mounds is incorrect. Correct link: http://geneseecountyparks.org/pages/MoundsORV
grantdoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #28
grantdoug
1999 TJ Wrangler 

These USFS ORV maps are essential - and they are free. You can see the PDFs online as well. Unfortunately they do not include much information about the unimproved dirt roads that the USFS roads connect to.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/hmnf/m...TELPRDB5275851
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #29
grantdoug
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Downloadable Free Maps from VVMapping

These are marginally useful, because they are oriented to ORV. But they do indicate DNR Jeep routes as well.

For example, Traverse City Jeep route (not the trail):

http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/grandTraverseRoute.html
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #30
grantdoug
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I can't tell if the off-road ventures CD ROM with ORV maps includes all Michigan counties, or just the few included in their printed map. Do the maps include all the USFS roads?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.