Help with frame repair in west michigan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Help with frame repair in west michigan

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
DrewsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yj Help with frame repair in west michigan

Hey everyone,
The wife and I just purchased a '93 wrangler that has some frame rot near the rear shackles. From what I've read here, it's a pretty common problem. The problem I'm having is finding someone in the spring lake/grand haven or surrounding areas that can fix this for me. I was hoping some of you fellow jeepers out there could make some recommendations. I'm a mechanical guy, but I don't have nearly enough experience with welding, nor the equipment to tackle a repair like this.

Any help that any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew

DrewsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
HavenSOV
1973 XJ Cherokee 

Its a bit of drive for you, but the guys at JCR Offroad in Kalamazoo could hook you up. They do great work and I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
South West Michigan Jeepers
HavenSOV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
DrewsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip. I sent them an email and they're giving me a rough estimate of $500-$700 to repair both frame rails. Seems a bit steep to me considering the material cost is probably less than 100 bucks, but they've got experience I don't, so it's probably worth it (especially when dealing with the frame). I'll keep them in mind, but I'd be happier if I could find something closer and (if possible) cheaper.
Unread 09-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
lkg351
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How bad is the damage? I may be able to help you out, unless you already got it taken care of. I live in Allegan, still a little drive for you, but I don't charge much. Just a little overhead for electricity/welding rod. $20 should cover it.

LKG
lkg351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
DrewsYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks to everyone who has replied and PM'd me. The support has been more than I could have hoped for. The jeep is currently at Ray's Quality Welding in Grand Haven. They were recommended to me by a couple of people and they had a very reasonable quote ($150 for the total repair, we'll see if that's what it ends up being in the end).

I'll post a reply when the work is done to say how it turned out.

Thanks again to everyone!

-Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.