Drummond island trail map - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Drummond island trail map

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
Drummond island trail map

I will be not be able to attend the Drummond Jeep jamboree this year due to a scheduling conflict. I am considering going on my own at a later date. Where can I score a trail map that has some sort of trail ratings on it? Good chance I will be wheeling alone with my family in the Jeep and I do not want to push my luck as far disabling trail damage goes.

Thanks in advance.

Unread 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes - The trail map published by the Drummond Island Tourism Association has a color key that lets you know what type of trail you havce chosen. They charge a small fee ($3 I think) so it is not available for free download. Some general informatio is available on DITA's website http://www.drummondislandchamber.com...p?page=ATV_ORV

Best bet is to stop in and see Steve Walker at the Bear Track Inn - he can sell you the map, plus he is usally a great source for current trail conditions. He will also mark a couple of spots on that map where you need to avoid unless you are driving a submarine.

The DNR maps are downloadable in a GBX format which is also a great tool to have, but will not give you information on the trail difficulty or conditions, so best to have both. http://www.midnr.com/publications/pd...land_trail.pdf

These were 2011, when the water in Connor's Hole was pretty dry, and the rest of the island was very dusty http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...00/DOA%202011/

These were the previous year when things were wetter http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...0/June%202010/
Unread 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You should take a look at attending Drummond Offroad Adventure (DOA) hosted by Mud, Sweat and Gears in August. That way you can get out on the trails with a group for the first time

http://www.msg4x4club.com/
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Paul I will look into it. I will have a bone stock wrangler, do the MSG people typically do the easy trails?
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There are a couple of trails on DI where you will struggle with a stock Jeep, but that's what it's all about, right? I think there are some pics in my photobucket account from our Fall 2010 trip to DI with our club. One guy was in a stock XJ complete with 225/75/R15 street radials. We winched & strapped him through a handful of spots and he chose to bypass Connor's Hole and one other spot where the trail was pretty wet. He also did not try the steps at Marblehead. All of those spots generally have an alternate way around, or like Marblehead you simply go down and back up (not a path to get anywhere else) so you can park at the top and walk/watch.

DOA has a number of different groups that head out on Friday, Friday night and Saturday,
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help Paul. I will deff look into the MSG trip.

Cheers
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
jpchurch34
2012 JK Wrangler 

Question newbie. 2012 Rubicon

School me. Is it stupid to take a brand new 2012 Rubicon on one of these? Is it going to get all banged up or just dirty? Never been off road ever other than on a quad. Very excited and eager to learn and participate.
jpchurch34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not stupid, you should be able to have plenty of fun on DI without banging it up - but you have to keep in mind that there are things that from time to time are going to jump out and bite you when you play in the woods, even when you are trying to be careful.
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
Not stupid, you should be able to have plenty of fun on DI without banging it up - but you have to keep in mind that there are things that from time to time are going to jump out and bite you when you play in the woods, even when you are trying to be careful.

This why you should never wheel alone. And if you do (I do from time to time on super easy trails), make sure to bring survival gear/tent/food/matches/lots of water.

We should set up a trail run for noobies. Where we can get several people together to go on some easy runs as a group.
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
jpchurch34
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes exactly. Some guided tours and training/"hand holding" for us newbies.
jpchurch34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Hemrides
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not a newbie, but just have a stock 2004 TJ that I use for DD. I would be interested in any of the easy trips you might plan.

There are very good trails in the Newberry area in the UP. You can get to the back side of the falls. You can go from Newberry to Munising on back trails, lots of lake and streams if you like to fish. I have had my ATV and Jeep there. Easy trails and roads. Need to watch out for logging trucks in some areas.

Dave
Hemrides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

I will be at DI the weekend after MSG is there.
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Alboy79
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
You should take a look at attending Drummond Offroad Adventure (DOA) hosted by Mud, Sweat and Gears in August. That way you can get out on the trails with a group for the first time

http://www.msg4x4club.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul olllllllo View Post
Thanks Paul I will look into it. I will have a bone stock wrangler, do the MSG people typically do the easy trails?
I'll be up there for DOA. My TJ has no lift and 31s.
We were just on drummond last weekend. Had a riot. I've never had a bad trip up there.
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm bummed, we have a scheduling conflict for the weekend of DOA this year, not going to make it.
Unread 07-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

the doa event is perfect! i have done it 3 times. it is one of michigans premier events! msg puts on a hell of a nice run. the dinner and award banquet is alot of fun also. its about 1/4 the cost of the jeep jamboree. we run the same trails. many of the trails guides work the jamboree too. many stockers do this event with out any damage. i have seen a bone stock zj do this run with me. he did everything i did in a tj on 35's. i have seen a wj on 31.5's do it. i have seen a willys flat fender on 31's do it. all the wet areas are hard rock bottoms. dont get scared of drummond! the best and most scenic public wheeling in michigan, bar none!! its beautiful, but not super hard. stock its challenging, but not impossible.

dont miss the doa! the prizes they give away is worth the trip alone!

dont wheel drummond alone!! thats just plain dumb!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.