Drummond Island Jeep jamboree? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Drummond Island Jeep jamboree?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #31
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can see the advantage of wheeling with a group around Drummond Island. I hit the east side trails today and I felt like a river boat captain at points. I didn't have Steve's map, and as well ran into confused/lost people on ATVs. The maps we all had don't all match up! The Jamboree here would be fun. I'll have to put it on a future bucket list.

From today...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
bobjp

I am heading up there in a few weeks. How deep was the water? Did it have a solid base or was it mucky?
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Well it's rocky, so there are rocks under the lakes.

I did get out of my Jeep a few times to check how deep the holes were. Most were not deep but just l-o-n-g, and parts of the trail to Marble Head were torn up. I would not want to break down out there as there were just a few ATV riders around, and two groups I talked to were both asking me for directions. (I can see why they say to travel in groups.) Trails seem to be marked with numbers, but it gets confusing so do get Steve's map as anything would be better then what we all had.

There is logging going on, and the log roads have been put in running north-south, west of Marble Head. I traveled on one for a mile or so, and then came to a dozer that was repairing the "road" in a low spot. I can imagine these log roads are slick so I'd avoid them in the rain as you could slide off them easily (their just dirt... little sand and not level). Plus the trucks' tracks are wider then a Jeep, so I'd have one tire in their track, and the other in the center so I was not level. Cool to see though! (Like the TV show Swamp Loggers.)

I did get lost once, and went through several large holes twice (water about came up to the top of my tires) as we had to turn around on a tight trail that was ending. The trails are narrow through the trees and even fields with tall grass and ditches running alongside, and would require some backing if you met another Jeep. But it is off season so few people are around. I did see several full size trucks heading east when I was heading out, and I'm not sure how they'd fit on a lot of the trails?

It was a blast, and as said I'd love to do an organized run. I did come back to the cabin and have a couple of these...

Have fun!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #34
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A couple more pictures...

After boarding the ferry back to the UP. I was packed in like sardines.

And some Drummond mud on my mirror, looking at the back of the ferry before the closed the ramp.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #35
oscartj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Myself and two others were there on Sep 15th, never saw anyone else. A lot of deep water, most bottoms were solid, except a couple near a logging area. Had to winch out of one. Made it out to Marble Head, took the red trail high clearance orv route there and the black orv trail back. Red trail was pretty bad, black trail was a piece of cake! I am still trying to get all the mud out of my TJ.

image-1565859257.jpg
oscartj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
bobjp

What do you mean by the red trail was "bad"? Just muddy?
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #37
oscartj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
What do you mean by the red trail was "bad"? Just muddy?
A couple holes were pretty tore up. Had to winch through one, and use a few by-pass routes. Had water up to my headlights a few times, 4" lift with 33"s.
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #38
bobjp

So what is the recommended map? The one on the DNR website isn't sufficient. I saw "Steve's map", but I'm not sure what that's referring to. Can't find it in a search.
Unread 09-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #39
Alboy79
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use the map that hangs on my bedroom wall...

I got it from the visitor center, but have got the same one from steve at thebear tracks and from the office at Wa Wen resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscartj View Post
A couple holes were pretty tore up. Had to winch through one, and use a few by-pass routes. Had water up to my headlights a few times, 4" lift with 33"s.
So actually having to wheel, makes a trail bad?
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #40
oscartj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, should have said it was more of a challange.
Unread 04-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #41
RiverwalkPlace

Mike -

I'd like to donate some items for you giveaway to the Participants from the Riverwalk Place Jeep Creep - please advise. =)
RiverwalkPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #42
dunejeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on attending this years JJ and I am wondering what people do for lodging? Is it a mix of hotels and camping? Any recommendations for hotels/motels? It looks like I'm going to be all by myself so I'm not too picky.

One other question. If I were to bring a friend he would have to pay the $325 also, right?
dunejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.