Drummond Island Jeep jamboree? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Drummond Island Jeep jamboree?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
paul olllllllo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4x4 View Post
Hi Paul!

I’m Mike Olmstead, the local coordinator for the Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree and I think I can fill in some of these Jeep Jamboree questions for you!

The uniqueness of a Jamboree is a bit of an intangible because at a high level it sort of sounds and looks like many other organized trail rides. However, what makes a Jamboree unique is the entire Jamboree experience. For two days you just have to show up with your Jeep and we’ll feed you three meals a day, take you on some great trail rides, provide a 5-Star meal after each day’s trails at a great venue where you can hang with 150 or so other Jeepers and tell your Jeep stories and experiences. And at the end of it all on Saturday night we have a little program where we have some awesome door prizes.

The Drummond Island trail guides have trails & obstacles already planned out; the Jamboree covers all fees and permits (including the State of Michigan ORV License for all participant vehicles) in the registration fee. For the two days of the event the only things that participants have to provide for themselves is lodging and fuel.

On our Jamboree you’re on the trails for both days with the same 10-15 participants with similar Jeeps and experience (and with this alone you build friendships that many times turn into life-long relationships – I can tell you of more than a few!), and you’re led by experienced trail guides with literally years of off road and Drummond Island experience.

I’ll let the people who attended last year’s event describe their experience. Here are just a few of the comments from last year’s Drummond Jamboree: “Professionally and meticulously operated function! All staff & trail guides were fantastic. Kudos to Jeep Jamboree for and excellent event!”, “Excellent experience”, “Awesome experience”, “An overall great time and event”, “Entire weekend was excellent”, “What a blast!”.

And here’s what they went on to say about our trail guides: “Very good, knowledgeable, very good dealing with participants, made my first trip memorable”, “Guides outstanding”, “Guides excellent & increased confidence”, “Trail guides made experience great”.

And these are not a couple cherry picked comments – our post-event ratings always come in extremely high!!

Finally, at least a third (many times more) of the attendees at our Jamboree are repeat participants at our event, which is a testament to the great experience that they have on Drummond. Many of the people who attend ours once move on to other Jamboree events around the country and likewise many of our first-timers have attended other Jamborees.

I’ll be the first to admit that for some people a Jeep Jamboree may be a bit pricey, but the number of repeat participants, the numbers that we have attend every year, tell us that they are getting their money’s worth. And me and my trail guides are committed to making sure you get your money’s worth!!

Bottom line: The Drummond Island Jamboree trail guides and I are committed putting on a well organized family oriented off road event, managed in an encouraging, courteous and professional manner, where our guests have the freedom an opportunity to safely challenge their driving skills and vehicles capability in a responsible manner. And to provide our participants an off road experience in their Jeeps that they will not soon forget!

Mike Olmstead
Loccal Coordinator -
Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree
Mike I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. To clarify, I was not questioning the event itself, just the cost. As I mentioned earlier I attended Camp Jeep in the Blue Ridge Mountains several years back and my wife, 4 y/o son and I had a great time....we even conceived our daughter while on that trip It was super fun and family friendly. I would definitely like to attend the Drummond Island event. Its a matter of funding is all.

I will have a sit down with the wife and see if we can work it in.

regards,

Paul

Unread 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
ads357
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have been following along this thread and thought I should post a few comments. I have attended the Drummond Island JJ for the last 4 years and plan to attend again this year. I have also attended 2 Camp Jeeps, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

I will admit that the Camp Jeeps were cheaper, but there is no comparison between the two. Both Camp Jeep's that I was at included a total of 4 hours of actual trail riding, 2 hour trips, and each person can sign up for 2 trips. While I do give this credit/blame for my addiction to Jeeping, looking back, it was nothing to write home about.

After my first Jeep Jamboree (JJ), on Drummond, I knew that I was hooked on the sport, as well as the organization that the JJ offered. The operation on Drummond is run very smoothly and the trails are some of the best I have wheeled in Michigan. I am sure I could get together with a few buddies and have fun on Drummond, but knowing what I have learned through the JJ events, I feel like I would not hit everything I should. I feel like the fact that I just show up on Thursday night and wheel all day long on Friday and Saturday is worth the price of admission. The trail guides know the island trails very well and make sure that you get to the highlights of the island.

After my first JJ, both my wife and I decided we were done with Camp Jeep and we were addicted to the JJ experience. The trail guides we had on our first trip to Drummond are the ones we have gone with every time since then and wheel with several times throughout the year at various locations. They are also 2 guys I consider close friends. Many of the group of Jeepers we were with that first year have been with us every year and are also friends of ours.

If anyone has any questions of reservations feel free to send me a PM.
ads357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
vankemp

Maybe someone could sell me the GPS route of this trip for -- lets say.. $25? I would save about $575 bucks?
vankemp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #19
Alboy79
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Vvmapping costs 35$ and it has the trails of Drummond on it. Or a trail map on the island is 3$ and it has all the trails as well.
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #20
Blakemore00xj

Blakemore00xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

jeep jamborees are all great events! they are top notch, and done right! that costs money!

if you cant afford the jj, look in to the D.O.A. (drummond off road adventure). its put on through GLFWDA, and a club called Mud Sweat and Gears. it uses the same trails, and is a great event. much smaller, mabey 40 or 50 rigs tops. it is a ton cheaper! yet still a fun family event!

google it! you will not regret it!

do not go on drummonds trails alone with a trail map! thats a bad idea!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The Drummond event is sold out and they have quite a few on the waiting list. Amazing prizes to be had if you are lucky to go.
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
dgreen8912

Jk Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
The Drummond event is sold out and they have quite a few on the waiting list. Amazing prizes to be had if you are lucky to go.
Yes, it was sold out for the first time in several years. We had a great turn out and some great participants. Hopefully those of you who couldn't make it this year due to the sell out can join us next year!
dgreen8912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen8912 View Post
Yes, it was sold out for the first time in several years. We had a great turn out and some great participants. Hopefully those of you who couldn't make it this year due to the sell out can join us next year!
I was referring to the DOA 2013 event that is sold out.
It's only $50 per adult which is considerably less than JJ.
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Indyorv.com[/FONT][/FONT]
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #25
vankemp

i just booked a 5 day stay up there. It will be my first time there, and right after the DOA event Aug 18th - 23rd. I tried to buy tickets to the DOA, but it was all sold out. Any tips or thoughts welcome for this beginner...
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #26
LUV4JEEP

I will be in the UP the 10-17 and really want to meet some guys up for a per run sence I didn't get a ticket! I know some members of blue water jeep owners will be up there
LUV4JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #27
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vankemp View Post
i just booked a 5 day stay up there. It will be my first time there, and right after the DOA event Aug 18th - 23rd. I tried to buy tickets to the DOA, but it was all sold out. Any tips or thoughts welcome for this beginner...
Make sure you stop in at The Bear Track Inn for breakfast. The owner, Steve, can get you pointed in the right direction after you fill up on coffee and chocolate chip pancakes.
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #28
vankemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
Make sure you stop in at The Bear Track Inn for breakfast. The owner, Steve, can get you pointed in the right direction after you fill up on coffee and chocolate chip pancakes.
Looks close to our cabin..

I will make it a point to do this... thanks!
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vankemp View Post
I was lucky and got on their waiting list and snagged a spot, but it took several weeks.
Don't wheel alone!
Buy good recovery equipment. Have tow points, a recovery strap (at a minimum) and a winch if possible .
Don't buy tow straps especially ones with hooks on the ends.
Buy a map.
Limited cell phone coverage on Drummond.
Try and go with a group that knows their way around.
Avoid the big mud pits.
Air down to 12-18 psi to be on the safe side depending on your tires and bring a small compressor. Digital gauges are very accurate compared to the sliding ones.
DON'T WHEEL ALONE!
Fire extinguisher.
Bring tools and depending on your Jeep you might need to bring spare parts.

Did I mention not to wheel alone even if you think the trail is super easy and there's no way you will break down means you could be stranded for hours or days depending on where you are located.

If you do a search you can find a variety of lists of what guys will bring. Stu Olsen's site has a ton of great useful information.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/
Just remember jeep means "Just Empty Every Pocket"
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #30
vankemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
I was lucky and got on their waiting list and snagged a spot, but it took several weeks.
Don't wheel alone!
Buy good recovery equipment. Have tow points, a recovery strap (at a minimum) and a winch if possible .
Don't buy tow straps especially ones with hooks on the ends.
Buy a map.
Limited cell phone coverage on Drummond.
Try and go with a group that knows their way around.
Avoid the big mud pits.
Air down to 12-18 psi to be on the safe side depending on your tires and bring a small compressor. Digital gauges are very accurate compared to the sliding ones.
DON'T WHEEL ALONE!
Fire extinguisher.
Bring tools and depending on your Jeep you might need to bring spare parts.

Did I mention not to wheel alone even if you think the trail is super easy and there's no way you will break down means you could be stranded for hours or days depending on where you are located.

If you do a search you can find a variety of lists of what guys will bring. Stu Olsen's site has a ton of great useful information.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/
Just remember jeep means "Just Empty Every Pocket"
Great point... thanks. Im sure I will find somebody to ride with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.