JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Michigan Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/)
-   -   Drummond Island Jeep jamboree? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/drummond-island-jeep-jamboree-1335108/)

paul olllllllo 02-27-2012 01:44 PM

Drummond Island Jeep jamboree?

I have never been to a Jeep Jamboree before, so forgive the ignorant questions.

Why the heck does it cost so much?

For me to bring my wife and 2 kids it will cost $600.00. That seems steep for some food and trail rides.

Do they go to areas that regular folk cant normally access or something?

Are there any organized trips there through this forum....for a lot less than 600 clams.

I plan to go there sometime this summer and would like to have a trail buddy so we can bail each other out should someone get stuck. I did some solo off roading in Atlanta MI a few years back and got stuck. I will never off road alone again.

ronprice 02-28-2012 04:38 PM

The run is to promote legal wheeling in a well organized group . To bring people from all over together for the sport. Much time and effort is put to ue just to make this Happen and the cost is to help kep this event and other events going. Mike and the other trail guides spend lot of their time and money just for the love of the sport. The cost of promotion and event permits need to be covered. Yes it is one of the expensive trips but well worth it.
The Island has Turtle Ridge Off Road Park you can ride at and Miles and Miles of state Land trails to ride on. But a weekend trip alone will cost the sam money. I have never spen less than 500 buck on a Drummond Trip

paul olllllllo 02-29-2012 08:54 AM

Ron, I have never been to drummond before. Why would it cost $500 to go without the Jamboree folks?

ronprice 02-29-2012 09:12 AM

gas, Trip up and back $200, Lodging $100 a night nice lodging $20 camping + supplies makes it a easy $75 a day/ night, Meals and fun There ,back and while there. . all of $200 if you have the Family. Gas for rig .1/2 tank a day if lucky $30 a day. Alone it will be $350 per trip easy
and another $20 + a day if you go to the park

paul olllllllo 02-29-2012 11:33 AM

OK, thats about what I thought. But now add $600 to that and you have quite a bit of money going out. The point of my first post was: why not travel to Drummond Island with a few other like minded individuals and save the $600?

I am not knocking the Jamboree. Just wondering why its so much? I am not looking to get something for nothing......it just seems steep is all.

phittie1100 02-29-2012 11:43 AM

JJ proides a great weekend of entertainment - they take care of all of the permits, event insurance, make all of the on-site arrangments, pre-run the trail, and provide seasoned 4 wheelers to take each group out. Basically, you pay for and get the "full package". There are other events on Drummond Island throughout the year, and most are probably cheaper than JJ, but they are put on by volunteers and not the professional crew you get with JJ.

I have never been to a JJ event, but the local coordinator and several of the guys that work with him are folks that I know fairly well.

wdw 02-29-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phittie1100 (Post 13149030)
JJ proides a great weekend of entertainment - they take care of all of the permits, event insurance, make all of the on-site arrangments, pre-run the trail, and provide seasoned 4 wheelers to take each group out. Basically, you pay for and get the "full package". There are other events on Drummond Island throughout the year, and most are probably cheaper than JJ, but they are put on by volunteers and not the professional crew you get with JJ.

I have never been to a JJ event, but the local coordinator and several of the guys that work with him are folks that I know fairly well.

If they would leave Mikes daughter (Trail Nurse) at home, it would be a great Jamboree. But when she has to scream at the top of her voice about everything, that sucks. I have been to Drummond Island Jamboree twice. I will never go back because of her. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

paul olllllllo 02-29-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phittie1100 (Post 13149030)

I am not aware of permits being needed. What permits does one need? I have my own insurance and can make my own arrangements (at least I think I can).

I do agree with you about the trail being pre run as it sucks to find a nice surprise in the middle of nowhere. I also agree with you about quality trail guides. So in your opinion its worth SIX HUNDRED dollars for the above two items? I have never been, and you have, so I would really appreciate your honest opinion.

Let me stress, I am not looking to get something for nothing....just trying to justify the cost to myself.

I paid $250 for my family of 4 to attend camp Jeep, but I got a rock concert at the end and most importantly I was able to wheel in areas that are normally off limits to the general public.

phittie1100 02-29-2012 05:17 PM

In Michigan, any organized event over 20 people on state land (75 is the rule for NFS land) needs a permit, insurance, and a bond to ensure that at the end of the event nothing needs to be cleaned up or fixed.

I can't tell you if $600 is a good recreation spend for you and your family (and like I said, never attended one personally), but they always have good attendance and a lot of repeat customers, so they must be doing something right. I get the impression from wdw's post above that other than a personality issue with one of the crew it was a good event.

wdw 02-29-2012 06:01 PM

It is a good event. Mike and the rest of the trail guides are super. Just Trail Nurse ruined for me.

ronprice 03-06-2012 09:07 AM

In all the event is worth it in just the gathering of other wheelers. Alone ,your alone . With the event your enjoying the company of new friends. You will see more than you would lone ,for the reason the guides know where to take you for the best trip.I have gone in groups and onces alone .groups re the best.

paul olllllllo 03-07-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronprice (Post 13185379)
In all thith the event is worth it in just the gathering of other wheelers. Alone ,your alone . With the event your enjoying the company of new friends. You will see more than you would lone ,for the reason the guides know where to take you for the best trip.I have gone in groups and onces alone .groups re the best.

OK, I might give it a shot. Thanks.

dgreen8912 03-07-2012 05:32 PM

I have been to the Drummond Island Jamboree as both a participant and then as a Trail Guide for the last 12 years. To those of you who appreciate our hard work Thank You. It is a non-paid week long job for us that really takes all year. It ends Sunday morning, and planning starts the following Monday for some. It is fun to run the trails don't get me wrong, but there is a lot of work that goes on that you don't see. Most of it by Mike, but we all have our jobs to pull off a great weekend of 4wheeling. The cost of the trip not only includes your meals and trail rides, there are many prizes given out on Saturday night including a winch and a set of tires. The evening dinner is put on by the Bayside Dining which is a 4 star establishment located on the Drummond Island Resort property.

Mostly the trip is to bring people together for a fun weekend of wheeling. Each year you meet new people, some stay in your life, others just pass through. For the last ~5 years over half of my group has been Jeepers from the year before. We stay in contact via Facebook, emails, text message, and go run trail together when ever we can. 2 weeks ago, while I was recovering from knee surgery, I rode shotgun on a trail ride with one of my friends who will most likely be in my group again this year.
I am not trying to talk you into coming up, just shedding a bit of light on what goes on. $600 is a lot of money, for some Jeepers that is their yearly trail ride budget, for others it is nothing.

As for WDW's comments on the Trail Nurse, sorry you don't like her, but that is just who she is. She is loud at times, opinionated, sometimes even irritating, but we still love her. There isn't anybody who isn't one of those qualities at one time or another! Even you were not the perfect participant, but you don't see any of the trail guides jumping on a forum saying "man, that guy from Ft Wayne sure was a pain in the hind quarters". Accept people for who they are

wdw 03-07-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgreen8912 (Post 13195936)
As for WDW's comments on the Trail Nurse, sorry you don't like her, but that is just who she is. She is loud at times, opinionated, sometimes even irritating, but we still love her. There isn't anybody who isn't one of those qualities at one time or another! Even you were not the perfect participant, but you don't see any of the trail guides jumping on a forum saying "man, that guy from Ft Wayne sure was a pain in the hind quarters". Accept people for who they are

Thats OK. I was just telling how it is. But you don't need to worry, I will never be there again.

Hunter4x4 03-08-2012 10:27 AM

Hi Paul!

I’m Mike Olmstead, the local coordinator for the Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree and I think I can fill in some of these Jeep Jamboree questions for you!

The uniqueness of a Jamboree is a bit of an intangible because at a high level it sort of sounds and looks like many other organized trail rides. However, what makes a Jamboree unique is the entire Jamboree experience. For two days you just have to show up with your Jeep and we’ll feed you three meals a day, take you on some great trail rides, provide a 5-Star meal after each day’s trails at a great venue where you can hang with 150 or so other Jeepers and tell your Jeep stories and experiences. And at the end of it all on Saturday night we have a little program where we have some awesome door prizes.

The Drummond Island trail guides have trails & obstacles already planned out; the Jamboree covers all fees and permits (including the State of Michigan ORV License for all participant vehicles) in the registration fee. For the two days of the event the only things that participants have to provide for themselves is lodging and fuel.

On our Jamboree you’re on the trails for both days with the same 10-15 participants with similar Jeeps and experience (and with this alone you build friendships that many times turn into life-long relationships – I can tell you of more than a few!), and you’re led by experienced trail guides with literally years of off road and Drummond Island experience.

I’ll let the people who attended last year’s event describe their experience. Here are just a few of the comments from last year’s Drummond Jamboree: “Professionally and meticulously operated function! All staff & trail guides were fantastic. Kudos to Jeep Jamboree for and excellent event!”, “Excellent experience”, “Awesome experience”, “An overall great time and event”, “Entire weekend was excellent”, “What a blast!”.

And here’s what they went on to say about our trail guides: “Very good, knowledgeable, very good dealing with participants, made my first trip memorable”, “Guides outstanding”, “Guides excellent & increased confidence”, “Trail guides made experience great”.

And these are not a couple cherry picked comments – our post-event ratings always come in extremely high!!

Finally, at least a third (many times more) of the attendees at our Jamboree are repeat participants at our event, which is a testament to the great experience that they have on Drummond. Many of the people who attend ours once move on to other Jamboree events around the country and likewise many of our first-timers have attended other Jamborees.

I’ll be the first to admit that for some people a Jeep Jamboree may be a bit pricey, but the number of repeat participants, the numbers that we have attend every year, tell us that they are getting their money’s worth. And me and my trail guides are committed to making sure you get your money’s worth!!

Bottom line: The Drummond Island Jamboree trail guides and I are committed putting on a well organized family oriented off road event, managed in an encouraging, courteous and professional manner, where our guests have the freedom an opportunity to safely challenge their driving skills and vehicles capability in a responsible manner. And to provide our participants an off road experience in their Jeeps that they will not soon forget!

Mike Olmstead
Loccal Coordinator -
Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree

The time now is 09:31 PM.