Newbie heading to Redbird - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Indiana Jeep Forum > Newbie heading to Redbird

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
dumbtrucker
2008 WK 

Newbie heading to Redbird

I'm planning on heading to redbird in a few weekends. I have a stock wk(planning to lift). Anything I should know? What would be some good trails to try out? Last thing......what would be some basic equipment needed?

dumbtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
chris87xj
Administrator

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Redbird is great wheeling and has no shortage of challenges. Because it's old strip mine land, the terrain isn't exactly natural and has plenty of hills and ravines. It can get dicey when wet so some dryness would be nice for the first visit in a stocker.
The place is big and uncrowded enough that it's possible to get off into areas where you might not see anyone else for a few days.
I'd recommend at least a minimum complement of recovery gear i.e. front and rear recovery points and a solid strap, and more importantly not wheelin it alone. Buddy up with another vehicle, either before you leave home or before you leave the parking lot to explore the trails. Start off with the main trails before venturing off on side routes - some of them can get wrangler tight.
Check the Trail Information link on this page for details on specific trails. http://www.redbirdsra.com/ They are pretty well marked along the way. Bring a GPS if you have one and mark a waypoint for the parking lot. Ask the gate attendant for the gate phone number in case all else fails. I get intermittent cell signal there.
Redbird is one of my favorites and my avatar picture was taken there. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
dumbtrucker
2008 WK 

Will factory recovery points be satisfactory on the front? I have a shackle in my receiver on the rear.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can team up with somebody once I get down there.
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
chris87xj
Administrator

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I guess that depends on what you get into lol, but factory points should be good enough for most circumstances.
I've not been on there in a while, but you might check Redbird's forum to see if anyone is posting about heading that way. Redbird Forum
It looks like they're having a big event in October and again in November.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
ChadjasonW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Few of us are going for the oct night ride
ChadjasonW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
dumbtrucker
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadjasonW
Few of us are going for the oct night ride
I'm really not set up for night time yet but if anybody needs a passenger......lol
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
ChadjasonW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's a all day event..just goes on tru the night 11ish I think? Im going to try the fishing out this time
ChadjasonW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Warbossjerry
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hello, I have been there in my stock 2013 unlimited sport and can say these trails are possible.....
1- even when wet this trail is ok.
2- has some rough parts if wet and I would say be careful if it rained within 2 days of your ride.
3- only the more difficult parts, not the most difficult
14- only if dry, there is a very steep hill that I found when wet makes you slide towards a ravine (not a good feeling and I bailed and had to back out) this trail should be upgraded to more difficult
21- not bad, would say that it is easier than 14
25- this entire trail I would say can be done on any stock jeep
I have videos on youtube that are labeled correctly and you can check the trails out.
Warbossjerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Warbossjerry
2013 JK Wrangler 

oh, trail 26 is narrow, but also ok
Warbossjerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.