New to Terre Haute (West Indiana) trails and locations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Indiana Jeep Forum > New to Terre Haute (West Indiana) trails and locations?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

New to Terre Haute (West Indiana) trails and locations?

I just moved to Terre Haute a few weeks ago (student at Rose-Hulman) and realized I'm really itching to get the Jeep off of pavement.

The Jeep

Anyways I was looking to see if anyone can point me to trails to ride on. I know the Badlands are only about an hour and a half away but I'm looking for something more casual in the mean time I don't have time to take a trip out there yet.

The best spots are usually only carried by word of mouth but since I know pretty much no one here I'm resorting to asking here.

Just a shot in the dark hoping there might be someone from the area.....

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

hey man.. im in champaign, il.. not too far from ya. I dont think the badlands is that far from you.. but i could be wrong. Its only an hour from me. Anyways.. unless you know someone with private land and get permission your options are limited. There is Redbird which is a national park you can wheel at. We are talking about heading there next month if you are interested? there is also the cliffs which is in illinois about 3 hours from you as well.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
BlaZeJeep
1994 ZJ 

The closest to you is Redbird, less than an hour southeast of TH. It has a great reputation from the Jeep crowd. I have been there many times on an ATV, but not a Jeep yet. http://redbirdsra.com/

You could also check into Interlake in Lynnville, IN. Its about 2 hours from you. Been there several times with my ZJ, as well as my ATV. A little bit of everything from easy trails to some pretty difficult. Here is the link:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4226.htm
~~~~( o) ) o - - - ( o ) ) o ---) )
BlaZeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just drive north to the Badlands. You'll like it. Lots of fun areas and trails there.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Some of us are heading out to the Badlands next Saturday....the 24th. I wish I was only an hour and a half away.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

According to Google maps, Redbird is about an hour away Badlands is 1:20 away not bad at all Hopefully I'll have enough free time one of these weekends to get out there

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86992 View Post
According to Google maps, Redbird is about an hour away Badlands is 1:20 away not bad at all Hopefully I'll have enough free time one of these weekends to get out there
well.. whenever you are planning on it hit me up on here. I can usually round a group of a few jeeps at least to go. also.. next month on the 8th is mudfest near st louis.. we are thinking about going.
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Zdrisko

Some friends and I are going to Redbird this Sunday 9/25/11. 3 jeeps and some atv's so far. Hoping to get lots more. Anyone wants to join convoy, hit me up. Stock Jeeps are capable and welcome. To those that's never been, Redbird has quite a few easier trails. We'll be at the front gate around 9-9:30am.
Zdrisko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I will try to join y'all. If I am able to come I'll PM you.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 09-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

and if you want.. the group i normally go with are headed to redbird october 22n if youre interested. we were going to go the 8th.. but too many schedule conflicts came up.
Unread 09-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
ChadjasonW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There are plains to open a DNR park in your area. Can't tell you more right now ,if I was yaw I would check with DNR and find out if you could help?
ChadjasonW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
schultr1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man, I actually go to rose to.. a couple buddies and i hit redbird and badlands usually about once a month. PM me if you want to know more.
33 x 12.5 Firestone Destination M/T
schultr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #13
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadjasonW View Post
There are plains to open a DNR park in your area. Can't tell you more right now ,if I was yaw I would check with DNR and find out if you could help?
Really? Maybe at the old Newport Chemical Depot?

To the original poster, welcome to Terrible Haute. The IndyORV is a great group to ride with, they will take you to your limit but not try to break you on purpose unless you want to.

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
ChadjasonW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Idk? They were talking about it at the DNR trail work day (@ fort Harrison)
ChadjasonW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are you sure they are not talking about Fort Harrison State Park in Indianapolis?

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2982.htm

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.