New Gearset Install - Looking for a quality shop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Indiana Jeep Forum > New Gearset Install - Looking for a quality shop

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
number6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

New Gearset Install - Looking for a quality shop

Looking for a quality shop to install new gearset (going from 3.73 to 4.56)?
I know about Sunfire Offroad, but they are about a 2 hr drive from me (Veedersburg, IN). Anyone know of any other place that might be a tad closer in proximity?

Thanks,

number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
MGDWJ
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Do it yourself. There are several great write ups on here on gear installs and there is always someone that can look at your patterns and be able to tell you what you need.
If you do do it your self take pictures as your tearing it down and keep track of where all the shims go.

When we did the gears in my girlfriends jk we went from 3.21's to 4.88's. Even with a new carrier up front everything was perfect with the old shim stacks.
Unread 10-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
BrierPatch
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know of someone in your specific area, but after talking to a few people and making a few phone calls I was able to locate several in my area with varying prices and recommendations. I am about 1/2 way between C'vlle and Greencastle.

I ended up doing my own install after reading several write ups on here and a few others. If you think you might do it your self, I suggest you put alot of thought into it. If I had it to do over I probably would have had one of the shops do it. I was under a time constraint, was signed up for the French Lick Jeep Jamboree, but had to cancel because I still didn't get the jeep finished and ready in time. It took alot of time and tools and I am still not 100% certain of my gear setup since it was my first. Something changed on my front axle when I did the final pinion nut torque and I almost ruined the pinion threads taking the nut back off (cheap nut). I went from 3.07 to 4.10 and installed detroit truetracs in both axles, which made it a little easier, since I wasn't using any of the old diffs.

Anyway, if you think you are going to do it yourself, make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Otherwise ask around and make a few phone calls and you will probably find some shops. I know there is a guy in C'vlle that works on jeeps, that could probably do it, but he is usually pretty busy and hard to get intouch with.

Good Luck !
BrierPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
BrierPatch
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yah, "The Jeep Shop" in Brazil might be able to do it, but can't really comment on their work. I know guys that have bought jeeps from them and have had good luck with them.
Unread 10-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
number6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Found a place in Covington, IN. Comparison pricing to Sunfire Offroad and a lot closer.
Really good reviews from folks on their quality of work.

Taking it in next week
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
BrierPatch
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear it. Good Luck !
RC 2.5" X-Series with .75" front spacers, RC 9500 winch with synth. line, RC front adj. trac bar, RC rear adj. trac bar, RC 1" BMML, JKS 1.25" BL, Motive Gear 4.10 gears (from RC), 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs on Pro Comp polished 16x8 1089's, RE 2" bumpstop extensions F/R, Detroit Truetracs F/R, Rokmen Gas tank skid, Rugged Ridge HD front bumper, Rugged Ridge steering skid, Body Armor 59" rear bumper with tire carrier, Body Armor rock sliders and Cobra 75 CB.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.