"JeepsGoneWild" Aug 9th & 10th CampOut at the Badlands - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Indiana Jeep Forum > "JeepsGoneWild" Aug 9th & 10th CampOut at the Badlands

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #31
TheEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRRRIS View Post
Sounds good, like Xander said, us from Northern IL Extreme Jeepers will be there about 18 deep lol. I don't think many are staying Saturday night though, so maybe I'll camp out with you guys!
You should! Pretty much all of us stay the night. Camping is half the fun!

Past Jeeps:
97 Flame Red TJ Sport on 31s with stuff.
98 Stone White XJ Classic: Lifted, Locked, and Armored
2000 Silverstone WJ Limited
TheEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #32
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got my new wheeling/camping grill just for this upcoming trip! 5 bucks on clearance at work. Mwahaha. It's like a little suitcase sized charcoal grill. I can't wait for this next trip.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #33
Northsidejeepin
2008 JK Wrangler 

So, it seems a few of us are getting new parts, and I wanted to share the good news as well. I took the leap, and I am installing a 5.5 inch BDS long arm system and 37 inch tires hopefully before the trip in August. I am fed up with dragging my Rubi all around the badlands, and this should make for a fun addition to the Jeeps Gone Wild Crew. I hope it is done in time, as the guys said it will be no problem. Wish me luck and I'll see you all soon.
Northsidejeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #34
TheEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsidejeepin View Post
5.5 inch BDS long arm system and 37 inch tires

How will 37s do on stock gears? Why not go to a 35/36?

Good luck though, cant wait to see the beast!

Past Jeeps:

Last edited by TheEddie; 07-24-2008 at 12:54 PM..
Unread 07-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #35
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I wasn't planing on bringing the Jeep this time, but after everything I've replaced (2 new outer axle shafts and u-joints, rear axle yoke and j-joint) I'm not so worried about breaking something. So if funding permits(which it should), I will be bringing Silverback for this trip.

Project: Silverback Ash to ash, dust to dust... Skin to bone, steel to rust... You will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Cleanly done bob jobs are so cool.
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #36
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So, it seems a few of us are getting new parts, and I wanted to share the good news as well. I took the leap, and I am installing a 5.5 inch BDS long arm system and 37 inch tires hopefully before the trip in August. I am fed up with dragging my Rubi all around the badlands, and this should make for a fun addition to the Jeeps Gone Wild Crew. I hope it is done in time, as the guys said it will be no problem. Wish me luck and I'll see you all soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEddie View Post

How will 37s do on stock gears? Why not go to a 35/36?
Agreed, for 37's you'd better look into regearing, and upgrade to chromoly axle shafts too, and thats the least of what you should think about, bigger brakes and an axle truss wouldn't be a bad idea either. Just because you can fit 37's doesn't mean you should, I'd suggest 35's and then put some money into your axles a little at a time. At least work on your front axle, remember Mopar has a D60 for the JK's that would work very nicely with 37's.

Project: Silverback Ash to ash, dust to dust... Skin to bone, steel to rust... You will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Cleanly done bob jobs are so cool.
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #37
Northsidejeepin
2008 JK Wrangler 

From what I have seen, 37 inch tires on D44's are fine. The only real issues are driveability, which is managebale with a light right foot, and drive shaft angle, which I will have to adress almost immediately. As for the chromoly axle shafts, you are right, this would be a good idea, especially for insurance but we will see what happens.

Why so against the 37 inch tires? I agree when you say just becasue you can, doesn't mean you should, but it has been done time and time again with little to no issues. If something breaks, hopefully it won't, but if it does, it does. By the way stock tires are 32" and 35" can fit with zero mods, but will rub off road. Therefore, I thought 37's was the way to go. Maybe I am wrong, but as always, I am no pro and am all ears.

Thanks again,

Phil
Unread 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #38
TheEddie

Quote:
From what I have seen, 37 inch tires on D44's are fine. The only real issues are driveability, which is managebale with a light right foot, and drive shaft angle, which I will have to adress almost immediately. As for the chromoly axle shafts, you are right, this would be a good idea, especially for insurance but we will see what happens.

Why so against the 37 inch tires? I agree when you say just becasue you can, doesn't mean you should, but it has been done time and time again with little to no issues. If something breaks, hopefully it won't, but if it does, it does. By the way stock tires are 32" and 35" can fit with zero mods, but will rub off road. Therefore, I thought 37's was the way to go. Maybe I am wrong, but as always, I am no pro and am all ears.

Thanks again,

Phil
I'm all for monster tires but what terrain to you have to wheel that on? 37s just seem a bit overkill. Why not got with a 3" and some 35s? It'll be more than capable anywhere this side of the Rocky mountains and you could save alot of money. Not to mention the driveability. If we were in CO or UT my point would be very different, but all I wheel is the Badlands and if 31s and 3.5" can get me through all the trails I see no reason in spending my life savings on the Jeep..

Past Jeeps:

Last edited by TheEddie; 07-24-2008 at 01:51 PM..
Unread 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #39
CHI JPR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Northside, the plans for your rig sound AWESOME! I can't wait to see it in person.

As for the 37's, everything about the JK's Rubi axles are better than the '03-'06 TJ Rubi's D44's. Larger tubes, larger R&P, HP front, etc. I would be alot quicker to put 37's on a JK Rubi, than a TJ Rubi....

Beware though, Balljoints, unit hub bearings, tie rod ends, etc. will all wear ALOT quicker than before. If you don't mind the maintenance, go for it!

And finally, as other's have said, you will want to regear and get some Chromo's whenever $$$ permit.

Good luck and hope to check it out on the 9th.
CHI JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #40
aaronc88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ah go big stay with the 37s as long as you can put some money aside for future upgrades that you will need . I only have 33's on the yj and i am alwyas finding something else that needs to be improved.

jeep
aaronc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #41
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

BDS makes a sweet long arm kit for the JKs, saw a 4 door at our Jeep fest with their LA kit and I think 38's. If you have the stock front bumper, those huge tires rub into it after not much flexxing.. You'll want to keep an eye out for a shorty bumper eventually..

While it sounds like a sweet plan, I'd personally love to take a stock Rubi' TJ all over the Badlands and I'd have a blast. Going from stock to ^ 5.5" and 37's, you're going to lose alot of the challenge factor, so then you're going to be looking at attempting some tougher things, such as some of the larger rock crawls in the quarry and what not, so now you're going to be more prone to body damage, and on and on and on... lol. Anyhoo, just make sure you research and find out exactly what you want, and then ask people for suggestions, but don't let them talk you out of something you really want, because in the end, it's your Jeep and you're paying for the mods, it's all up to you.

See ya'll on the 9th!!!

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #42
Acidcold
2005 WK 

HotRod Hooligan, glad to hear you are up and running! i finally have my parts minus the brake line so i will be up and running in no time.
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #43
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Soon as I get back from the Gulf I'll be doing my "LCG" build. It will be at about the highest end of LCG as you can get though unfortunately. I'm planning on running the 4" (squatted down to 3") Clayton long arm, with the AEV highline, and probably 35" MTRs (I want 37's, but everyone keeps telling me I'm crazy), Rokmen TT and gas skid, D44 in the front with an ARB, a new D44 for the rear with an ARB, and VanCo brakes. That's the plan anyways... Here's hopin.

In my mind I really want 37's, but it's a lot more work/$ to get there. So maybe that will be stage 3... we shall see. I'm sure the wife will do her part and shock some reality back into me before I can spend all that on the Jeep. Can't wait for the 9th!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #44
Northsidejeepin
2008 JK Wrangler 

Man, you guys have some really good points. Good thing I asked before jumping into it. The best point I have heard yet, is the fact that if I raise 5.5 inches from stock, I am going to lose a good bit of the challenges from stock vs. the huge lift. I am going to rethink for now, but either way I have to make sure I am up and running for the 9th.

Thanks again, all of you guys have very informational and valid points, and they are very appreciated.
Unread 07-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #45
Northsidejeepin
2008 JK Wrangler 

Eddie,

Those new tires are 31's? No way...what are the brand/model again?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.