Indiana vehicle laws that may apply to Jeepers/Offroad Enthusiasts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Indiana Jeep Forum > Indiana vehicle laws that may apply to Jeepers/Offroad Enthusiasts

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Indiana vehicle laws that may apply to Jeepers/Offroad Enthusiasts

Haven't seen a thread like this in here and would like to clear up any questions that folks make have now or in the future. A lot of XJ people ask about doorless laws and others about bumper height, number of auxilary lights, and such. This is what I've found and my interpretation of the law.

The thought of federal law supercedeing state law came up. I do not know what and how this affects things, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

All information is from this in.gov website. >> http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title9/

Are doors required? - It doesn't say that they are, but an interpretation of the Chap 7 Sec 1 could say otherwise. The doors would likely be considered mechanical. I haven't heard of many issues around here with that, but it could come up. Please wear your seat belt if you go doorless. You could fall out for gods sake!

Are side view mirrors required? - Doesn't seem to be the case. Looks like the rear view, windshield mounted mirror is what is required. If you can see 200+ feet behind you at all times, you should be good. This might be an issue with certain tire carriers.

What's the max bumper height? - According to Chap 4 Sec 1, the bumper height can vary no more than 3 inches in either direction, regardless of tire, lift, or bumper design from original equipment measurements. That said, I see many trucks that are obviously not in compliance with this, so again, it's up to the police officer to make that call.

How high can my headlamps be? - They must be within 24-54 inches off of the ground, as measured from the center of the lamp. You'd probably get nicked for the bumper height before headlamp height.

How many fog lamps can I have? - 2 which is the max. They must be between 12-30 inches from the ground and aimed so that when the vehicle is unloaded, the high intensity part of the beam that is left of center must shine, at a distance of 25 feet, 4 inches below the the center line of the lamp. Fog lamps can be used in conjunction with low beam headlamps, as long as they are in compliance.

How many spot lamps can I have? 2. The high intensity part of the beam must not extend past 100 feet in front of the vehicle nor can it shine to the line that is extreme left of the vehicle.

How many aux. driving lamps can I have? 1. It must be within 16-42 inches from the ground and follow the same rules as headlamps, in terms of light distribution and aiming.

This message written 11-15-11.

Note: This is my interpretation of what the law says. If you get a citation because of something that is mentioned in here, I'm not responsible. If you print out the law sections which may apply to the modifications on your Jeep, it may help your case, if you do get pulled over.

If anything in here looks incorrect, let me know and I'll see if I agree with you.

Hope this helps...

screen-shot-2011-11-15-8.09.21-pm.jpg   screen-shot-2011-11-15-8.10.37-pm.jpg   screen-shot-2011-11-15-8.11.35-pm.jpg   screen-shot-2011-11-15-8.16.26-pm.jpg   screen-shot-2011-11-15-8.17.01-pm.jpg  

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
speeduck
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thank you for the great research you have done here, however to be more thorough i think one needs to start at the federal level then work your way done to state and county followed lastly but not least city law,
after only about two minutes of looking on a government website i found this:

"FMVSS 111 specifies requirements for the performance and location of rearview
mirrors.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PASSENGER CARS
Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification
with the required field-of-view and a driver's side outside rearview mirror of unit
magnification with the required field-of-view. If the inside rearview mirror does
not meet the field-of-view requirements, an outside rearview mirror of unit
magnification or a convex mirror (with required markings) is required on the
passenger's side. The average radius of curvature of the convex mirror shall be
not less than 889 millimeters (mm) and not more than 1,651 mm. All the required
mirrors must be adjustable in both the vertical and horizontal directions and have
a stable mounting."

which coincides with what i have always heard, you need at least one onside mirror to be legal.
i think before you post good information on law, you check your bases better. because what you posted is really good! i think it might be unrepresentative of what you are trying to help people with.

just my $.02
speeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Never thought to look into federal vehicle law. I'll check it out and make changes accordingly. Thanks!

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Centerfire

1986 CJ7 

Are the Feds likely to pull you over on Indiana roads?
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Moose340
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeduck View Post
thank you for the great research you have done here, however to be more thorough i think one needs to start at the federal level then work your way done to state and county followed lastly but not least city law,
after only about two minutes of looking on a government website i found this:

"FMVSS 111 specifies requirements for the performance and location of rearview
mirrors.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PASSENGER CARS
Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification
with the required field-of-view and a driver's side outside rearview mirror of unit
magnification with the required field-of-view. If the inside rearview mirror does
not meet the field-of-view requirements, an outside rearview mirror of unit
magnification or a convex mirror (with required markings) is required on the
passenger's side. The average radius of curvature of the convex mirror shall be
not less than 889 millimeters (mm) and not more than 1,651 mm. All the required
mirrors must be adjustable in both the vertical and horizontal directions and have
a stable mounting."

which coincides with what i have always heard, you need at least one onside mirror to be legal.
i think before you post good information on law, you check your bases better. because what you posted is really good! i think it might be unrepresentative of what you are trying to help people with.

just my $.02
Well sir this only applies to Passenger Car's unless your register your Jeep as one you dont have to follow this. Me and most people I know are register as Trucks. Just to clear that up. I study law sooo I can help with anything that now understandable
Moose340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would figure our illinois laws would be more strict than the indiana laws... based on the fact of FOID. None the less.. in illinois.. ive never seen anyone pulled over for their vehicle being outside the legal driving spectrum concerning lift.. tires.. etc.. etc. However.. this past fall I was at the redbird halloween night ride and witnessed many rigs getting pulled over coming off the night run trail. Some of them were "street legal" and some were straight crawlers. In my opinion it was ridiculous because the only way out of that trail besides turning around is to cross a public road.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
speeduck
2005 TJ Wrangler 

WELL, CENTERFIRE, I SUPPOSE YOU ARE RIGHT SINCE THE FEDS DON'T REALLY PULL AMYBODY OVER BUT BIG RIGS
HOWEVER ALMA IT TAKES IS FOR ONE COP, TO TELL ALL HIS COP BUDDIES ABOUT ONE STUPID FED LAW AND THEY COULD ALL START PULLING US JEEPERS OVER. HELM WE ALL NOW THAT THEY WILL PULL YA OVER IF THEY WANNA MO MATTER WHAT.
FEDERAL LAW SAYS YOU HAVE TO HAVE A WINDSHIELD, TRY DRIVING AROUND WITHOUT ONETO SEE IF THE FEDS GET YA OR THE CITY COPS GET YA.....OOPS sorry for the caps lock, my phone does weird things. And Nick, I think law permitsany vehicle to cross a public road, tagged or not, as long as its not traveling the road its legal to cross it.
And Moose, thank you sir, as I do not like sifting through mumbo jumbo law sections to find this stuff. So thank you sir!!
speeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickit1981 View Post
I would figure our illinois laws would be more strict than the indiana laws... based on the fact of FOID. None the less.. in illinois.. ive never seen anyone pulled over for their vehicle being outside the legal driving spectrum concerning lift.. tires.. etc.. etc. However.. this past fall I was at the redbird halloween night ride and witnessed many rigs getting pulled over coming off the night run trail. Some of them were "street legal" and some were straight crawlers. In my opinion it was ridiculous because the only way out of that trail besides turning around is to cross a public road.
As an avid Redbird fan that wasn't able to attend the Halloween night run this year, l want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.
Are you saying there was a check point set up to catch vehicles that aren't up to street legal standards leaving the west end of the property and using the gravel road to cross the RR tracks and get back to the Redbird main parking lot?
If so that's a bunch of crap, particularly since crossing the RR tracks at random locations within the park is a no no. This would seem to indicate that the majority of the park is for street legal vehicles only wouldn't it?
I guess I should head over to the Redbird forum to look for further discussion.
Thanks for the heads-up.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
As an avid Redbird fan that wasn't able to attend the Halloween night run this year, l want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.
Are you saying there was a check point set up to catch vehicles that aren't up to street legal standards leaving the west end of the property and using the gravel road to cross the RR tracks and get back to the Redbird main parking lot?
If so that's a bunch of crap, particularly since crossing the RR tracks at random locations within the park is a no no. This would seem to indicate that the majority of the park is for street legal vehicles only wouldn't it?
Thanks for the heads-up.
hard for me to clarify... but let me try. it was my first and only time there. Im from central, Illinois.. so i frequent the cliffs and bandlands more. SO.. the night ride originated from the main lot at redbird.. and veered off to the left.. taking you off onto a basic trail leading up into the direction past the campground across from the park. I wouldnt go so far to say that it was a "checkpoint" set up to pull people over... but there were 2 cop cars set up grabbing multiple people. I witnessed this with my own eyes. I did the night run multiple times and each time i came off the trail they had someone else pulled over. Now.. to be fair.. from what i could tell. when you came to the road.. that was the end of the trail.. not.. a point where you crossed the road and picked the trail back up on the other side. I had a brief conversation with a girl there who was in a crawler with another girl who didnt venture out into the road and never got pulled over about it and they thought it was BS.. i think at the time it was one of their friends who was pulled over. Now.. those crawlers were actually driving on the road.. yes.. but they didnt have a choice int he matter.. with the traffic from the night ride.. turning around was not an option. In my opinion.. even those roads right there.. paved or not.. are part of the park. I didnt get pulled over because i have blinkers.. my fenders cover my tires.. and i have tags. I would say it was just a couple of "cops" out just trying to be dicks that give other cops a bad rep. The only traffic on that road were vehicles coming off the trail were people who were offroading. They werent hurting or bothering anyone at 11 at night there. They honestly werent doing anything stupid... just pulling off the trail onto the road and getting pulled over.
Unread 12-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
redding1327
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Seriously, that is considered entrapment in the state of Indiana. We had an uproar about it here in Seymour a few years ago because cops where setting just outside the parking lot of a popular night club and pulling people over. They took it to court and it was ruled illegal. They can set up checkpoints wherever they want but if they do it in certain areas where they know they will catch people because of a certain circumstance or within a certain radius of an establishment they are breaking the law. I would think this situation would apply. Not really sure of the exact wording and workings of this law but If I get time I will look it up and put it in a new thread for you all to look at.
redding1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
mudtrackerinc

2002 WJ 

I just came across this thread. I have been to redbird several times and I bet they were looking for people drinking, checking registration and so on. We have never had any trouble driving on the road at redbird, street legal or not.
02WJ Rough Country 4" Long Arm,3/4 spacers added to front,265x70x17C BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 31.8x10.7,super 44 flowmaster,K&N air filter,JKS adj track bar,JKS HD tie rod,JKS HD draglink,RCX dual stabilzer,Mickey Thompson Sidebiter wheels 17x9 4.5"BS,Saguaro4x D-Ring Mounts

06tj RC 4" X-series ,RC Dual Steering Stabilizer, 32x11.50x15 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO, 15x8 Ultra Motorsports Rogue
Model:175 Wheels, K&N CAI & Filter,super 44 flowmaster
mudtrackerinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtrackerinc View Post
I just came across this thread. I have been to redbird several times and I bet they were looking for people drinking, checking registration and so on. We have never had any trouble driving on the road at redbird, street legal or not.
as much as id like to think that was the case.. i highly doubt it was just youre routine attempt to stop drinking and driving. I wish someone who was pulled over that night would see this thread.
Unread 02-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
mudtrackerinc

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickit1981 View Post
as much as id like to think that was the case.. i highly doubt it was just youre routine attempt to stop drinking and driving. I wish someone who was pulled over that night would see this thread.
I contacted Redbird and here is there reply.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have not heard of this happening at Redbird; however, I do agree the railroad crossing is an issue. We are working to resolve this problem but it is going to take some time due to the requirements we must meet to satisfy the railroad company. We have been working toward a resolution for quite some time now and are making progress. I hope people can continue to be patient. I will see what I can find out about the Halloween night ride events.

Best Regards,
Carman Jackson
Planner/ ORV Program Manager
02WJ Rough Country 4" Long Arm,3/4 spacers added to front,265x70x17C BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 31.8x10.7,super 44 flowmaster,K&N air filter,JKS adj track bar,JKS HD tie rod,JKS HD draglink,RCX dual stabilzer,Mickey Thompson Sidebiter wheels 17x9 4.5"BS,Saguaro4x D-Ring Mounts

06tj RC 4" X-series ,RC Dual Steering Stabilizer, 32x11.50x15 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO, 15x8 Ultra Motorsports Rogue
Model:175 Wheels, K&N CAI & Filter,super 44 flowmaster
mudtrackerinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
ChadjasonW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Says in the rules that you can be stopped and searched at any time.( I think it's a good thing). I wheel all over and feel that redbird is a safe place to take my kids. No booze speed limits and one way trails.
ChadjasonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #15
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Thanks for the heads-up.
This is nothing new to me,30 years ago the city i live in we use to get pulled over alot for bumper height,i think back then it was 30in. from ground to bottom of bumper(my memory aint what it use to be),but cops would let you choose where you wanted the measurements done (location wise that is),remember that was back when we first started jacking up trucks really high and cops didnt really know what to do about it,they were usually looking for other violations
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.