Badlands Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Indiana Jeep Forum > Badlands Trip

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
TJ-Bville
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Badlands Trip

There are about a dozen of us coming from WV, KY area in June to ride the Badlands and was wondering what trails you guys suggest or any recomendations at all as far as places to eat or stay.

Thanks in advance

TJ-Bville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Bville View Post
There are about a dozen of us coming from WV, KY area in June to ride the Badlands and was wondering what trails you guys suggest or any recomendations at all as far as places to eat or stay.

Thanks in advance
ALL OF EM! I live about an hour from the park and im there all the time with the group of guys I go with. Do you guys have dates set in stone or is that all up in the air still? Our Jeep club puts on event there and I am not sure the date on it yet. Usually get a good turn out.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
TJ-Bville
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks
Yeah May 31-June 4
Prob staying at Attica Family Campground

Each year we go somewhere different, last year was WindRock TN. It was good, but huge park and we spent to much time trying to find the good stuff.

Harlan KY is one of the favorites.

We are mostly into rocks and trails but want to check out some sand.

Are the trails marked?
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks
Yeah May 31-June 4
Prob staying at Attica Family Campground

Each year we go somewhere different, last year was WindRock TN. It was good, but huge park and we spent to much time trying to find the good stuff.

Harlan KY is one of the favorites.

We are mostly into rocks and trails but want to check out some sand.

Are the trails marked?
Yep.. some are.. but they are old markers.. not to mention theres all kinds of new offshoot trails that get created. They try to update the markers every year but its basically impossible to mark them all and keep them marked. I usually camp out friday and wheel sats and sunday. I might make a recommendation though the campground you are staying at is right outsude of the badlands.. and thats convenient.. but its sort of small.. and they are stricter on the rules there... meaning.. they dont allow alcohol on the premises. Theres a camp ground about 5 minutes away called Summers Campground. Its much larger.. has any kind of hookup for a camper if need be... and has all kinds of other stuff.. like a pool and what not. Thats where we prefer to camp.. its also just over all nicer looking and less mud. I know thats kinda funny.. but after you get done wheeling its nice to be able to walk about of the shower and not step in a pile of mud that fell off a crawler. Heres a link to their website.

http://www.summerscampground.com/
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
TJ-Bville
2001 TJ Wrangler 

THANK YOU !

I'll def check them out, we don't drink and drive but we do like a cold beer beside the campfire at night. And I know what your saying, I'm into a cleaner campground
Unread 01-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
THANK YOU !

I'll def check them out, we don't drink and drive but we do like a cold beer beside the campfire at night. And I know what your saying, I'm into a cleaner campground
Yeah.. same here.. not saying you drink and drive.. but at the attica camp ground you cant even have it out visibly.. and i understand there issue with it.. its a liability thing. Also.. if you look at the prices on the summers camp ground site.. the primitive camping prices.. those are by site.. not person .. which a site is supposed to have "2 adults and 2 children" but every time ive been there they just say 4 people to a site.. each site has a picnic table and a charcoal grill. bring foil for the top of the grill though.
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
TJ-Bville
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like there is a JeepJamboree the weekend we got scheduled to go and some of the guys can't change their vacations so looks like we will have to find another location.

You guys know anything about a place called RedBird IN ?
Unread 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=TJ-Bville;13069607]Looks like there is a JeepJamboree the weekend we got scheduled to go and some of the guys can't change their vacations so looks like we will have to find another location.

You guys know anything about a place called RedBir

yep.. wheel there a couple of times a year. Big enough to keep ya busy for the weekend. Theres a place right across the entrance called rebbird station that we camp at. You will have a good time there too. it isnt as open as the badlands.. but worth checking out.
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
TJ-Bville
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool Thanks
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Redbird has more extreme trails and a huge rock garden. Where as The Badlands has the quarry. The trails at Redbird are marked pretty well also. And they can give you a map with trails listed. Our groups usually wheel Redbird because we have all been to The Badlans so many times. Seems like Redbird, to us, still offers new obstacle everytime we go. Maybe I can get a group to meet up with you guys.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.