Badlands trail recomendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Indiana Jeep Forum > Badlands trail recomendations

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 05-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
jhurt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Question Badlands trail recomendations

Hello, I'm looking for a bit of advice. My TJ is nearly finished and I need to check it out. I caught the bug out in Moab last year and set it up with advice from a few friends that live in Utah, but the closest place to wheel around here is Attica. I'm basically looking for a trail you would recommend for a shakedown run or two, nothing to crazy, until I see what works and if anything needs to be changed. I'm eyeing a trip out to Moab maybe this fall after it cools down a bit there. My setup should be in my profile. No locker in the front yet, still trying to justify the cost since I have wedding coming up.
I've spent some time there on dirtbikes and quads but haven't seen the jeep trails. I saw the announcement for the JeepsGoneWild run but I'm not quite ready to go with a big group since I may break something 5 minutes out and hold everyone up....
Thank in advance

jhurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

In order of ease. Play in the rock quarry, check out the creek run, and if it's been dry for a few days try the orange trail. I've done all three with my stock TJ on 31's.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Northsidejeepin
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree with the pumpkinator!
Northsidejeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
IU98
2000 TJ Wrangler 

With your setup listed in your profile I would go on and just do the orange trail; it will test all of the components that you have. Be sure to take along a buddy for recovery and of course any breakage. Depending on rain the orange trail will test your articulation with a few good sized mud holes too boot. I see no real issues with you being able to test your setup on that trail. Never been to Moab but the quarry will help see how the rig performs on rocks and rock walls. Being locked in the rear will help greatly. I have been on runs where stock tj's, xj's and yj's have made it thru the orange trail with limited bypasses. Oh yea with road terrain tires.
HTH
Chad
2000 Sahara-Two car seats a 2.5 ome lift with 1 inch spacers a 1.25bl, 1in mml, rear shock relocaters, extended rear swaybar links, jks quicker discos with 33in Kuhmo mt's on black steelies. Armor-kilby, jeeperman and warn. Dual white tops and an auto. Raingler rear and side nets along with grips. Ome steering stabilizer and xm for tunes. Dana 30/35 frt and rear-awaiting snappage. I have a pretty jeep and my children dig it.
IU98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
IU98
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry forgot to add if you don't have any I would add armor to the underbody of that jeep along with rock sliders.
Chad
2000 Sahara-Two car seats a 2.5 ome lift with 1 inch spacers a 1.25bl, 1in mml, rear shock relocaters, extended rear swaybar links, jks quicker discos with 33in Kuhmo mt's on black steelies. Armor-kilby, jeeperman and warn. Dual white tops and an auto. Raingler rear and side nets along with grips. Ome steering stabilizer and xm for tunes. Dana 30/35 frt and rear-awaiting snappage. I have a pretty jeep and my children dig it.
IU98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
jhurt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to convince my cousin to go, he's had his TJ lifted for several years, even has a winch. Makes me sick really, he bought the Warn 9.5TI and has never even used it, never been offroad. I've been trying to bribe him with free replacement parts for his D35 since mine is just taking up space on the garage floor.
Was really wanting the Aussie for the front end but think I'll spend the money on a engine/oil skid instead.
It's been a few years since I was there, but I assume its generally less busy during the week? My schedule rotates so I was going to try and go when it wasn't so crowded. I'm really gonna take it easy and check the articulation and locker function as much as I can. Don't want to be in people's way if I can avoid it.
Unread 05-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Mudhound0530
2009 JK Wrangler 

Dont forget this place http://www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com/

and hanibal rocks
94 Cherokee
Mudhound0530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhound0530 View Post
Dont forget this place http://www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com/

and hanibal rocks
I'm not sure (from what I've heard anyway) that I would go to the Cliffs to test out a new set up. There's penty of stuff in the quarry, and just around the edge, to test a new set up, at the Badlands....meaning if you do happen to break something, recovery would be easy.

I have plans to go to the Badlands this Friday with one other Jeeper, as long as it doesn't rain all week. You're more than welcom to join us. He'll be testing out a bunch of new mods too.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
TheEddie

X2 Stay away from the cliffs. I've seen people escape without damage, but they are few and far between.

The prior recommendations are good ones. (orange,creek,quarry) Hitting the dunes is alot of fun too though. That will give you an idea of where you stand as far as a tire/gear combo. Just be sure to watch out for bikes/quads.
TheEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
jhurt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for the advice. As far as Friday I'm not sure yet, I have the day off but I work Thursday night until 6 am Friday morning so I may be too tired. I hafta drive from Aurora so by the time I got some sleep and drove over there they would be closed...
Theeddie you may have seen my cousin around there, he grew up in Minooka, he has a blue TJ with about 4 inches of lift and MT baja claws. He's around there alot helping my aunt as she still lives in the area. If you see him cruising call him a poser for me..he's afraid to take his rig off the highway.
Unread 05-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #11
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Hey you're from Aurora?
Capricorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
jhurt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah southeast end. not too far from 59/95th. came up down by champaign so the traffic here drives me right out of my tree.
Unread 05-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
TheEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
Theeddie you may have seen my cousin around there, he grew up in Minooka, he has a blue TJ with about 4 inches of lift and MT baja claws. He's around there alot helping my aunt as she still lives in the area. If you see him cruising call him a poser for me..he's afraid to take his rig off the highway.
Will do buddy!

Past Jeeps: 01 TJ, 97 TJ, 98 XJ, 2000 WJ
TheEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
Xander

What other trails are there? Can some one name them all and their demands?
Unread 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
yeah southeast end. not too far from 59/95th. came up down by champaign so the traffic here drives me right out of my tree.
Hey I frequent that area alot, my girlfriend lives around there. You've prolly seen my rig around...

Capricorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.