Badlands September 10th - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Indiana Jeep Forum > Badlands September 10th

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #91
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkates View Post
I found 4 d-ring shackles that I was going to attach to the front and rear bumpers, With a piece of flat stock inside of the bumper. Is the stock bumper on these xjs strong enough??? I'm a little worried that i will end up ripping one of them off. Am I looking to far into this?
No the stock bumpers are not strong enough to pull on, but Rugged Ridge makes tow hooks similar to the factory ones:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12007_800_07.htm

I think Rustys does too, but I'd avoid his stuff like the plage.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #92
rkates
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Glad I didn"t start drilling tonight. I didn"t think it seemed strong enough. Back to the drawing board. I may hit pick a part sat. morning to see if I can find a hitch than.
rkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #93
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What if you remove the front bumper for the trip, that way you wont mess it up during the trip, and you can just use the frame as a tow point, or wait, its a unibody so you may not be able to do that. Rod what do you think? As far as the rear goes, we have pulled Hotrod hooligans XJ out numerous times by just strapping to the axle, with the leaf springs back there you are pretty safe doing so

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #94
rkates
1995 XJ Cherokee 

what about the front? could i do the same for that. would it hurt the control arms or anything else? Really appreciate all the info. Looking forward to this weekend.
rkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #95
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've been pulled out by both axles and didn't have any problems, just so long as you aren't yanking on them they should work fine, just work on getting some proper recovery points and you should be fine untill then.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #96
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

This is going to be a good run...I wont be running the red trail this time, I wouldnt mind but I have to trade ole blue in for the Rubicon next week and I dont want to rip the new exhaust off, or something like that....NEW GUYS---> not that things like exhaust ripping and what not happen, for the most part every stocker or whatever Ive seen go out there with a good group of drivers like we have here go in and out and have a great time without any trouble at all...

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #97
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil101 View Post
NEW GUYS---> not that things like exhaust ripping and what not happen, for the most part every stocker or whatever Ive seen go out there with a good group of drivers like we have here go in and out and have a great time without any trouble at all...
LOL Recoil is very right! I have been NUMEROUS times and have never broken anything! its all about goin easy on the skinny pedal! And the more I think about it, the more I think that I will not be doing the red trail. I just simply need more body protection for it. But I think we should all watch hotrod do it so we can all be amazed!

My Jeep

2007 WK CRD
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #98
cyberpunk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Guys, I'm super excited, this will be my first time out. Here's my plan, if anyone cares or is heading in the same direction as me.

Friday Night - Leaving Southern Illinois and heading to the Lasalle Peru area to stay with relatives.

Saturday - Day trip to Cliffs Insane Offroad park in Marseilles, IL. This will be my first official trip to an ORP, and the wifey will be with me. I think we'll be alone, so unless I bump into some Jeepers with recovery gear we will be taking it extremely slow and just getting a feel for basic trail riding.

Assuming we don't break anything on the new JK (God I hope not or the wife will never let me do this again)

Sunday - Heading to Badlands from LaSalle Peru area, via I39 to El Paso, then over from there.

My biggest hurdles are this: 1. No recovery gear. I know this isn't a big deal since we'll be in a group on Sunday, but I'd feel better with a proper bumper and a winch. I'd also like some rails.

2. Wife is deathly afraid of screwing up the new Jeep. I've told her we're going to take it slow, so I may have to punk out on a trail or two to keep her happy, but the goal is to show her this a fun time and that it isn't going to ruin our recent purchase.

I have a 97 TJ that I'd love to bring instead, but I'm trying to sell it locally and it's not nearly as conducive to a long trip as the JK. Hell, if I crumpled a fender or broke something minor in the TJ I wouldn't really care, but in a brand new $23k Jeep it's a bit worrisome.

Anyway, I'll see everyone there Sunday, and if anyone is interested in Cliffs on Saturday let me know.
cyberpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #99
jackel440
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I plan ondoing a lot of watching and learning!Thats why i wantd to go with you guys instead of just a bunch of good old boys.I figure slow and easy and use common sense.shouldn't be any problem.
Unread 09-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #100
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You guys will both be perfectly fine. We start out nice and slow, we will go play around in the quarry so you can see what your rig (and others) can do, there is something for everyone in here and it will give you an opportunity to test yourself and make sure your rig is running right and feels right before we hit the trails. (and give you a chance to climb THE WALL) after that we will do the creek run, which is a very easy trail, there is just enough to test your confidence and by the time this trail is over you should be full of confidence and ready to go on to a trail that is really no tougher than the creek, probably the green trail or the blue trail, both are fun, they are just different! I am not sure if we will do the orange trail, as this trail is always changing, and there is a ton of mud, it is the longest trail there, and none of us has ever lead the trail so we may not do it, we will see how everyone is feeling when the time comes.

As far as recovery gear, no worries, we all have plenty and have been a part of many recoveries, (some worse than others....hotrod) so we are good in that department.

And all of us have to drive our rigs to work on monday, so none of us want to screw up our rigs. Safety is our number one concern and that includes the safety of our jeeps too

My Jeep

2007 WK CRD
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #101
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

cyberpunk,

Just a strong suggestion... For a 1st time jeeper with a new JK... I would really hold back on going to the Cliffs. That offroad park gets pretty slick, nasty,rough and more. The trees are close together, it's very muddy like clay, lots of steep climbs and drops. It's very likely you can get possible damage to your jeep. To me... That's not a good offroading park for a new jeeper with a newer style jeep. If you have a jeep that you can beat on...That's the park to play at. The Badlands is an excellent offroad park for new jeepers and wont have to worry as much about getting body damage to your jeep. I have been offroading there for 8 years and it's great for new jeepers that want to learn how to use their jeep and enjoy offroading. I been to the Cliffs a few times and don't really like it because of what I have mentioned above. The Cliff's is only 45mins from me and the Badlands is 2 1/2hours away. My choice for an offroad park is the Badlands and you will have a blast there and less worries. Intime you can go to the Cliffs but, I strongly suggest not to go there but to go to the Badlands instead. My club members are awesome and very helpful and friendly. I will promise you that you will have a blast with our club. So you know...Take your time and if you feel that it looks hard to do...You don't have to do it. Ask others for help... They will always help you when you need it. Other than that... Enjoy your time with our club and hopefully join our club someday.
IGotADisneyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #102
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

By the way...
The "Jeeps Gone Wild" Indi Guys ROCK!!!
Keep up the Great work and take care of the new jeepers
I have Faith & Trust in you Guys.
Just remember "Think Safety" at all times.

Thank You,
Michael
Club President
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #103
cyberpunk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Mike, that's all really good info. Based on the above, I think I may just skip Cliffs. I've read your other trip reports and trust you, so I guess I'll be mall crawlin in LaSalle Peru on Saturday and then heading to Badlands on Sunday.

Also, is there an Illinois portion of JGW? Down here we have MidwestJeepThing, but I just don't get a good vibe from their forums, but maybe that's just me. Also, if given the chance to drive to southern MO or AR or IL or IN I'd rather head north, I have more friends/family up that way. But it would be nice to get you guys to come down to Hannibal Rocks, Flat Nasty or WA****A sometime.
cyberpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #104
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You are welcome... So you know our main base for our club is in Illinois
Give our club a try...Again, I promise...You will have a blast with our club.
If you like our review and what you heard about our club...
You will Love it even more if you join in and see how it is.
Unread 09-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #105
davenay67
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm with Jerry on this one, but for slightly different reasons. I know my Jeep is simply not kitted out to hit the red trail at the moment, even though I would love to do it at some point. I'd be interested in riding with someone else if the red trail is atempted though.

Jerry, I did the green trail on the last JGW outing, and it was awesome. Plenty of short, steep climbs and drops. My Jeep rubbed on nearly every crest, but it was on the t-case skid and totally within the limits of the Jeep.

"Stuey" started up quickly and ran like a champ when I went and got him last night, so providing nothing happens between now and then I will be joining you guys. What time are you looking to arrive at the Badlands, and where is the meeting point so the rest of us can join the "Indy Crew".

Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil101 View Post
This is going to be a good run...I wont be running the red trail this time, I wouldnt mind but I have to trade ole blue in for the Rubicon next week and I dont want to rip the new exhaust off, or something like that....NEW GUYS---> not that things like exhaust ripping and what not happen, for the most part every stocker or whatever Ive seen go out there with a good group of drivers like we have here go in and out and have a great time without any trouble at all...
31x10.5 tyres
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #138
187,000 miles and counting....
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.