badlands advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Indiana Jeep Forum > badlands advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

badlands advice

the wife and i are heading to the badlands offroad park in July(28,29), we are taking my ATV and jeep. this will be our first time there, and unless we meet up wiith some people there, we will have no idea about the trails, so im looking for adive for those that have been. also wondering about the flag on the vehicle. where do most people attach them to. we are also staying in Danville IL, mapquest says 35 miles to the Attica, is this pretty accurate?

Unread 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
outdoorlivin247
1974 CJ5 

Download a map off the website and get an idea b4 you get there about the trails...It appears you rig is more than trail equipped...Most groups welcome any people to join them so don't be affraid to ask...As for the flag, zip straps and the possiblities are endless, spare tire carrier or roll bar...Danville to Attica is aat the most 35 miles...Were are you located in IL...
Unread 06-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

im in wood river, or about 20 miles northeast of st. louis MO. i think my wife will be driving the jeep, and I the ATV, this will be the first trip for the ATV, and a good opp. for the wife to drive the jeep, so we will be looking for easy to mod. trails. since we will be there 2 days for wheeling, probally do the easy trails first, then work the way up
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just so you know there are certain areas that Jeeps are allowed that the ATV's are not, like the quarry for instance. The map given to you at the park isn't really the best in the world, you'd be best served finding someone to tag along with.

I fasten my flag to my CB antenna.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
jhurt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I asked this very question not too long ago, there is some good information in this thread here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f324/badlands-trail-recomendations-559928/

It sure was muddy and I don't think the rain has really let up since then so good luck.
jhurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
I asked this very question not too long ago, there is some good information in this thread here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559928

It sure was muddy and I don't think the rain has really let up since then so good luck.
thanks for the link, i wont be going until the end of July so maybe the summer heat will dry things out.
Unread 06-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcurious View Post
thanks for the link, i wont be going until the end of July so maybe the summer heat will dry things out.
I went there in the pouring down rain a while back....not bad at all.

I was just there on the 14th of June...pretty dry, just the occassional mud hole...the ones that are always there.

The orange trail seems to get pretty nasty after some heavy rain, which makes it pretty interesting, but you won't be doing that...not alone anyway.

I have lots of links to pics and vids of the Badlands in my sig, if you're not that familiar with what it has to offer.

You'll have a blast. Too bad you aren't going to be there when we ( JeepsGoneWild ) are going to be there, we'd be able to show you around.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 06-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on the ATV/Jeep issue. Many areas are "No ATVs" as well as "ATVs only" areas.

I think you'd have a better time just both riding in the Jeep around and about... unless you've got two ATVs?

Anyways, I also agree with checking up on a group of Jeepers and asking if you can tag along. You're rig is well built, I'm sure nobody would mind you tagging along.

Especially since you've never been there before, you do not want to get caught in an area that appears to be safe, but is actually a handful to get through.

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well my wife and 2 kids, plus a buddy is all going, so just going in the jeep wont work, and i just bought a new ATV so im anxious to get it out and try it, plus who ever is on the ATV will be taking pics/video if the jeep
Unread 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I stayed at the Attica Inn about 5 minutes from the park. It wasn't too horrible. I made a mental note to try the Hotel Attica. It looked like an old time small town hotel like the one in My Cousin Vinnie (my favorite movie).

Mud is no problem; all sand.

The flag is no big deal. A dowel and some duct tape would do teh Job. People complained that if you buy it there its like $10 or whatever.

There's only one decent restaurant in town Robies Restaurant

Theres a breakfast place called Short Stop on the east side of town.
And, the concession inside teh park (lower parking lot) was tolerable (except the coffee). Here's a photo with the concession in the background. I think I had a cheeseburger and fries.

Last edited by wilson1010; 06-27-2008 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Remembered name
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The concession inside teh park (lower parking lot) was tolerable (except the coffee). Here's a photo with the concession in the background. I think I had a cheeseburger and fries.
I believe the concession stand is only open on weekends. I tried it the last time out, when I took the wife and kids. Hot dogs and fries. We won't be trying the curly fries again...too greasy. The regular fries were fine though. It's easier to pack a lunch, and cheaper.

There is a McDonalds in town, so you can grab a quick bite there too.

Unread 06-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
medic76
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I live about 20 min from the badlands, in lafayette. 30 min form danville is about right. my wife is from there and I drive through there all the time. have fun the weekends are a little busy though.
medic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well we have decided to get to danville on Sun, then head to the badlands, think we will be there sun-tues.
Unread 07-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

just made reservations at the fairfield inn in danville
Unread 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i know we are still 3 weeks out, I'm wondering if anyone will be interested in going with us. i think my wife will be driving most of the time, so im thinking beginner and working our way up as she gets more comfortable.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.