St. Louis area 4x4 shop for axle/gear/locker work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > St. Louis area 4x4 shop for axle/gear/locker work

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 12-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
rkulp89
2004 LJ Wrangler 

St. Louis area 4x4 shop for axle/gear/locker work

Guys,

I'm new to the 4x4 world and just bought a bone stock LJ a few months ago. I'm working on making it mine and looking for a good shop around the St. Louis area to install 4.88 gears and Truetrac LSDs in my D30 & D44. I am willing to travel a few hours (150ish miles) for the right shop. I really like doing my own work but this job is a bit to much for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

rkulp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
daven75

Axle boy is good from what Ive heard! Check out jeepin mid rivers on FB, alot of good guys local on there!
daven75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You could try calling Ken Brittin up here near Springfield: http://www.kensautorepair.com/4x4systems.htm

While I haven't used him for axle work, he's taken care of many exhaust projects we've had over the years. In that aspect, he's done great work for a very good price.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Ruff88
1999 TJ Wrangler 

GDS 4x4 in Maryville, IL did my axles. Gary has been in the business a long time and knows his stuff really well.
Ruff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
rkulp89
2004 LJ Wrangler 

AxleBoy quoted $1600 in labor. Even if I was paying $100/hr it's not a 16 hour job. If it honestly takes them that long, I'm concerned they are not as experienced as the claim.

GDS basically said I was crazy to gear 4.88 with 33s on the 42rle tranny. Said that was too low even for 35s and I should gear 4.10.
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
daven75

Its not that they are inexperienced, its that they take their time and do a thorough job. They apparently treat jeeps like Ferrari's.
daven75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
rkulp89
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven75 View Post
Its not that they are inexperienced, its that they take their time and do a thorough job. They apparently treat jeeps like Ferrari's.
Sorry, there is no way it should take that long to set up gears. I know it takes time to get everything just right (carrier & pinion preload, back lash and correct pattern) but with the proper tools (clam shell puller, setup bearings, case spreader, etc) and daily experience you should be fired if you take 16 hours.

Not only that, but they basically double the labor quote when I decided to add a locker. That is complete BS, the labor should be cheaper if anything because you don't have to pull the bearings or gears off the old carrier. This is what really turned me off from them. They must assume you have no idea what is involved and charge additional labor for no reason which is dishonest and not somewhere I want to take my business.

I obviously won't be taking my vehicle to them so I can't comment on their quality of work, but with rates like theirs you better have the money for a Ferrari.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.