Northern IL Newb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > Northern IL Newb

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 08-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
outlanderbz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Northern IL Newb

I am new to the world of wheelin and recently purchased my first Jeep Wrangler TJ - 2002. I have always had an interest in wheelin but never had a chance to get into it until now.

My TJ is pretty much stock except a 2.25 BB + 1 BL with 15x8 soft 8's wrapped with 33" goodyear duratracs. I have a dana 35 rear. I had to purchase new tires when I bought it so I could not see spending money on 30" so I went straight to 33's with the least amount of money I could spend.

Any suggestions on what to do, where to go, to ease me into this new world and lose my wheelin newbness? would it be safe for me to go to the cliffs alone and just see what I can do?

thanks for any help

outlanderbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
MoparBoy01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

check out ddoffroad.com, we r a new offroad club to illinois and have been looking for new members, we will be at the Cliff's on the 29th or check out our website for out next meeting, hope to see you there
Down and Dirty Offroad Club Member
ddoffroad.com
MoparBoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Never go out wheeling by yourself. Bad idea. Could always join up with the Jeeps Gone Wild group and head over to Badlands.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I agree, never ever go wheeling alone, but you can sometimes get away with going to an offroad park alone, as there are always other jeepers there to lend a hand, or tag a long with.

If you can hit The Cliffs with DD offroad, do it, you won't regret it, fun place.

My club, Jeeps Gone Wild, is having an open run at The Badlands on September 19th, if you can make it, come on out. You can probably even hook up for the caravan down, depending on where exactly you are coming from.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Badlands is ~3 hours away but well worth the trip. The cliffs is closer but I've heard it's not as good as badlands. Check this section out periodically for people posting when they go on trips to the cliffs/badlands and see if you've got that day(s) free.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

I will also be going to the Cliffs Saturday the 29th. First time going there and it will just be my 14 year old son and I in our '05 Rubicon. Would enjoy anyone joining us.
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
otis68
1978 CJ7 

I will be there as well .. no club membership yet... along with my 11 yr. old son. I will be looking for ya.
otis68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well guys, Ben and I will be there around 9 or 10 and we have a bright red Rubicon that will be on a trailer pulled by a gray Yukon. Jeep has Iowa plates, Yukon has Illinois plates. We just bought the Jeep last fall and put a lift kit on and 33 inch tires with the stock Moab wheels. We took it to Phoenix and Zion National Park last winter but have not done much serious wheeling yet so will probably stay on the easy trails Saturday. We have spent every weekend on the river this summer and need to have a change of pace for a weekend. My wife and daughter will be along but will take the Yukon and go shopping or whatever for the day.
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
veddersbetter
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cool..looks like you have a good spotter. I may be down there Saturday or Sunday. Depends on a few things. Hopefully it isnt as sloppy as last weekend!! I will have my black TJ there...look for the Punisher skull on the hood. Trying to get my friend with a stock 04 TJ to join.
Hopefully see you there
Nate
veddersbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
outlanderbz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to try to make it down there as well on the 29th since there will be others that are new to this. I have a khaki 2002 with 33" on soft 8's. I will look for you guys. I would like to meet you guys from DDOffroad and the others going.
outlanderbz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.