No Central IL / So Central WI - trails??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > No Central IL / So Central WI - trails???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No Central IL / So Central WI - trails???

I'll be making a trip from CO to IL in the Jeep and am in search of some trails in the Northern Illinois / Southern Wisconsin area.

Anyone have suggestions for specific trails or resources to find some trails?

JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilliamson View Post
I'll be making a trip from CO to IL in the Jeep and am in search of some trails in the Northern Illinois / Southern Wisconsin area.

Anyone have suggestions for specific trails or resources to find some trails?
that question gets asked all the time. There really isnt any trails in that area. The closest you will find is the Cliffs in Marseilles, Il. A lot of off camber stuff.. not to much for rocks.. but they are working on it.. If you wanted.. about 2 hours south of there is The Badlands Offroad Park which is definately worth checking out. What dates will you be here?
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickit1981 View Post
that question gets asked all the time. There really isnt any trails in that area. The closest you will find is the Cliffs in Marseilles, Il. A lot of off camber stuff.. not to much for rocks.. but they are working on it.. If you wanted.. about 2 hours south of there is The Badlands Offroad Park which is definately worth checking out. What dates will you be here?
Thx for the info! I didn't know either existed. The Cliffs looks interesting and is close enough to drive down from Rockford.

As for when, nothing scheduled yet - likely June-ish.
Unread 03-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilliamson View Post
Thx for the info! I didn't know either existed. The Cliffs looks interesting and is close enough to drive down from Rockford.

As for when, nothing scheduled yet - likely June-ish.
Make sure you let me know.. my group hits one of those parks a month at least.. so you can have someone to wheel with.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickit1981 View Post
Make sure you let me know.. my group hits one of those parks a month at least.. so you can have someone to wheel with.
Thanks - will do!
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Being from Colorado you will be sorely disappointed in everything in Illinois!
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Being from Colorado you will be sorely disappointed in everything in Illinois!
Well, at least disappointed with the terrain. The people here are awesome.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Last minute for plans to come together but I'll be there tomorrow / Friday at The Cliff's in Marseilles IL - starting about 9:30am. Unless there's a reason for a diff channel, I'll stick the CB on CH4 if anyone ends up out there. Blue YJ with plans for no top or doors.
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are you still around next weekend? The club I'm in is going to Mears Michigan where they have sand dunes you can drive Jeeps on. It is 269 miles from Cliffs. Check out http://ddoffroad.com/ for more info.
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No, I was only in for a week and had the weekend days at each end of the week for the drive to/from Colorado. US-30 (Cheyenne WY to I-39) was the trip east with US-34 (Mendota IL to Loveland CO) the trip west.

Pix and vid from The Cliff's is here:
http://www.JimWilliamson.net/automob...nsane-terrain/

If you wish to see some trip pix from CO trails, shorten the URL to this and there are a few near the top of the page:
www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/

Our impromptu host was a regular there (wish I knew his name - he was great - guy on the right in this pic):

I tried to go through what looked like to me a "dried up" mud hole... It wasn't dry. It swallowed my 35" left front and kept going to the fender! Our host, with a hearty laugh at the situation (I was laughing too), circled around the group of five and towed me out of the hole.

He showed us the perimeter of the place. When we came to the tires, one jeep flopped onto its right side (cracked hard top, broken hard top right side glass, broken right side mirror, bent windshield frame, cracked windshield glass). When we righted it, one guy towed it back to the parking lot where the group was headed anyway (it was out on the trails in short order after removing windshield glass).

It was an enjoyable time. That place must be MUCH more difficult after a good rain with slick mud all around.

Message below was a double-post

Last edited by JimWilliamson; 07-22-2012 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Double post note
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cliffs is indeed much more difficult when it has been wet. You can hardly walk then.
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
2kdsTj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up!!! Wish I could've spent more time Friday showing ya more of the park. I am gonna forward your link to the Cliffs to put on their website.
2kdsTj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Jim, what app was the tracking done with?
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Jim, what app was the tracking done with?
Garmin GPS V, with tracklog set to 0.1 Mi increments.

I'm trying to hold onto my long standing "map program" for my website's maps. From the old days with WinXP it was fairly easy. In the Win7 world it has become a tad more complicated as WayPoint+ won't directly talk to the GPS.

I now have to use Mapsource to download the GPS's track data. I save only the track data as a text file. Convert the text file format with a custom macro in a text editor (vEdit). Open the converted text file with WayPoint+, a nice free, (old) Garmin compatible program that has the capability to save a tracklog out as a StreetAtlas map file, again, an old program. Open that StreetAtlas file and get a screen grab for the map. Well, actually two screen grabs - one close and one zoomed out for some identifiable city / landmark for reference then used a photo editor to compile them into one nice 'map'.

The elevation profile is simply the tracklog downloaded from the GPS into MapSource - open the track and "profile" is a displayable item.
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kdsTj View Post
Great write up!!! Wish I could've spent more time Friday showing ya more of the park. I am gonna forward your link to the Cliffs to put on their website.
Hey 2kdsTj, were you the "impromptu host"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.