Jeeps Going Wild: Moab 2013 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > Jeeps Going Wild: Moab 2013

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've been looking at camping areas online. Most of the ones I've been looking at are ones I drove past in 2011. $12 a night to tent camp seems doable...it would sure make it a whole lot cheaper than it was in a hotel, just not sure it'd be as comfy....lol.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

You can fit an air mattress in a tent.

Also, I'm out. Found out I'm deploying in April.

Edit: Maybe next time.
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobie View Post
You can fit an air mattress in a tent.

Also, I'm out. Found out I'm deploying in April.
You can bet your bottom dollar that I'll have an air mattress.

Good luck in April.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
You can bet your bottom dollar that I'll have an air mattress.

Good luck in April.
Thanks. It might give me just enough to "finish" the Jeep. Or at least help it a ways a long.
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I've been looking at camping areas online. Most of the ones I've been looking at are ones I drove past in 2011. $12 a night to tent camp seems doable...it would sure make it a whole lot cheaper than it was in a hotel, just not sure it'd be as comfy....lol.
What happened to camping out off the trails? Is that not allowed? I don't mind the occasional campsite, but I don't want to stay at Jellystone Park. I want to out in the middle of nowhere if we are going to be under the stars!
Unread 11-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDog View Post
What happened to camping out off the trails? Is that not allowed? I don't mind the occasional campsite, but I don't want to stay at Jellystone Park. I want to out in the middle of nowhere if we are going to be under the stars!
That $12 camp site is on a trail. The BLM manages the camp sites, even the small tent sites. Some of the camp sites only have room for 5 sites. I'm not seeing a whole lot about camping being allowed just anywhere....but at the same time I don't know who would find you if you decided to stop for the night out in the middle of nowhere.

That $12 site I mentioned is really in the middle of nowhere, it's like 30 miles from Moab, just off the Colorado River, near the start of Top Of the World trail.

Trust me, it's no KOA.

Unread 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

We'll have to make sure Matt digs us a nice latrine. I don't want any scorpion or snakebites while taking care of business! :P
Unread 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDog View Post
We'll have to make sure Matt digs us a nice latrine. I don't want any scorpion or snakebites while taking care of business! :P
The sites I've looked at all have restrooms. Probably not the most luxurious, but none the less they're there, which is worth the 12-bucks.

Unread 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just thinking.....and remembering.....

Unread 11-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #25
dogdick

Yes an air mattress will fit in a tent and camping trail side is the best
dogdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm still hopeful that my return to Moab will become a reality in 2013. I have scheduled a vacation, so should the planets align and everything fall in place I'll have the time to go. I have May 19th - May 28th off. If all goes well I was thinking two days out, 3-5 days there, 2 days back. Luck was on my side in 2011 and the long term planning worked out and I was able to go. I only spent 3 days of 5 planned days in Moab, hopefully, if I make it out in 2013, things will go a lot better.

Here's a tip, if you're afraid of letting your Jeep's skid plates rub on some rocks, don't go to Moab.

Last time out it cost me less than $800 in fuel to drive there and back. It's 22 hours from my driveway to Moab, which includes stopping every 210 miles for gas.

Come April 1st, if things don't look like they're working out I'll cancel, but if we make it past April 1st that means I'm good to go, barring any family emergencies.

Unread 12-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
Jeeper4life88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did you break anything on the last trip? Did you carry spare parts with you?

2004 Jeep Liberty- BFG A/T's and some skid's and tow hooks, otherwise pretty much stock.
Jeeper4life88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper4life88 View Post
Did you break anything on the last trip? Did you carry spare parts with you?
Didn't hurt or break a thing. Carried u-joints, tools, food and drink. Did Top of The World, Fins-N-Things, Hells Revenge.

Unread 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #29
BRay

Hey Jeff, Moab in 2013 now that exciting. Do you have anyone else for sure going with? I have never been to Moab but aren't most of the trails just outside of town a few miles were staying closer to town make it convenient for food and fuel?

Some friends of mine tent camped at a campground just on the outskirts of town a few years back and said it was a clean, quiet and close to town for meals and fuel. I'll try and find out the name if your interested.
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRay View Post
Hey Jeff, Moab in 2013 now that exciting. Do you have anyone else for sure going with? I have never been to Moab but aren't most of the trails just outside of town a few miles were staying closer to town make it convenient for food and fuel?

Some friends of mine tent camped at a campground just on the outskirts of town a few years back and said it was a clean, quiet and close to town for meals and fuel. I'll try and find out the name if your interested.
There are a few guys interested, but nothing is set in stone yet.

I stayed in a hotel on the edge of town in 2011. The only thing that sucks about a hotel is they cost a lot and you only spend about 6-8 hours a night there, almost seems smarter to camp.....sure is cheaper.

The camp sites I saw were pretty clean, not far from town, and cheap.

If we go, and you want to go, feel free to tag along.

It's just too soon to say "I'm in", because of the variables that are involved.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.