Jeeper down!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > Jeeper down!!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
chainbrain2002
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeper down!!!

Hey guys, recently i bought my first tj and have been loving all the mods and so forth that ive been able to accomplish. But i am trying to reach out to my fellow northern Il jeep freaks like me. ya see i have a problem and you might be able to help.

It all started when i bought my jeep from a small local dealership for about 6500.00 dollars. i told them if they threw in a 3 yr warranty i would take it. so they did. now let me tell you about it. its a 97 TJ sport with the 4.0. and 170k miles on it. well it currently has 173k on it. but here is where the problems begin.

when i bought it it had what i figured to be the normal 4.0L lifter noise. but after just over 2k miles that noise started getting much worse. well i bit the bullet and took it to the local chrysler/jeep dealer. who told me that the lifters were shot and that the aftermarket warranty needed to tear down the engine and diagnose the cause.

i said no problem just find what went wrong and let me know.

the dealer called me the next day and informed me that they found what appeared to be evidence of the engine bieng run without oil. which caused damage to the camshaft lobes and bearings as well as caused the seals in the lifters to fail. i said ok, go ahead and fix it. and let me know what the warranty says.

he calls be back within an hour and tells me the warranty will not cover the damage due to it occuring before the policy was purchased. THEY SAID IT WAS A PRE-EXISTING CONDITION AND WAS NOT COVERABLE!!!

So here i am stuck with a tj with a ripped apart engine, me driving a rental car , and bleeding out cash with a tj that need an engine. well the dealer quoted me $4000. to replace the engine and $2600 to just re-assemble it to the origonal condition with the problems still going. WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is where i need help guys, where i live i dont have the ability to do an engine job. if i tried i would be evicted from my apartment. i have much of the tools but no place to work. as well as needing to find a decent replacement running engine for as cheap as possible. pick and pull in my area has a few donors but still got no place to do it. can someone help me out please????
Any help will be greatly appreciated. i am located in the fox lake/antioc area just so you know. please shoot me a pm if you can help me. thank you.

jason

chainbrain2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbrain2002 View Post
Hey guys, recently i bought my first tj and have been loving all the mods and so forth that ive been able to accomplish. But i am trying to reach out to my fellow northern Il jeep freaks like me. ya see i have a problem and you might be able to help.

It all started when i bought my jeep from a small local dealership for about 6500.00 dollars. i told them if they threw in a 3 yr warranty i would take it. so they did. now let me tell you about it. its a 97 TJ sport with the 4.0. and 170k miles on it. well it currently has 173k on it. but here is where the problems begin.

when i bought it it had what i figured to be the normal 4.0L lifter noise. but after just over 2k miles that noise started getting much worse. well i bit the bullet and took it to the local chrysler/jeep dealer. who told me that the lifters were shot and that the aftermarket warranty needed to tear down the engine and diagnose the cause.

i said no problem just find what went wrong and let me know.

the dealer called me the next day and informed me that they found what appeared to be evidence of the engine bieng run without oil. which caused damage to the camshaft lobes and bearings as well as caused the seals in the lifters to fail. i said ok, go ahead and fix it. and let me know what the warranty says.

he calls be back within an hour and tells me the warranty will not cover the damage due to it occuring before the policy was purchased. THEY SAID IT WAS A PRE-EXISTING CONDITION AND WAS NOT COVERABLE!!!

So here i am stuck with a tj with a ripped apart engine, me driving a rental car , and bleeding out cash with a tj that need an engine. well the dealer quoted me $4000. to replace the engine and $2600 to just re-assemble it to the origonal condition with the problems still going. WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is where i need help guys, where i live i dont have the ability to do an engine job. if i tried i would be evicted from my apartment. i have much of the tools but no place to work. as well as needing to find a decent replacement running engine for as cheap as possible. pick and pull in my area has a few donors but still got no place to do it. can someone help me out please????
Any help will be greatly appreciated. i am located in the fox lake/antioc area just so you know. please shoot me a pm if you can help me. thank you.

jason

well.. we had that jeep mod party this past weekend. ya should have towed it over there. i could still talk to my budy to see if he could help you out. but no promises.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
chainbrain2002
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man I didnt even know it was going on. Where and when was it?
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbrain2002 View Post
Man I didnt even know it was going on. Where and when was it?
In winthrop Hardbor.. not far from you. We were there from about 10 am until about 8pm. Worked on about 10 jeeps.. ate food.. drank beer.. then went out for dinner afterwards. We installed a rock krawler lift in about an hour and 26 minutes. We will have another one later in the summer.
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
chainbrain2002
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well dang dude thats pretty darn good. Lease keep me posted if this ever happens again got a ton of stuff I can help with and need to do.
Unread 03-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

will do. We are hitting the badlands on the 24th if youre interested. I know that might be hard in your jeeps current state. I will talk to my buddy tomorrow about it.
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
02JEEP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in McHenry so not too far from you and I grew up in Johnsburg/Fox Lake area. I found this on CL if you're looking for a motor. http://racine.craigslist.org/pts/2855916585.html DJ

Jeep in a Box-Used Jeep Parts
https://www.facebook.com/jeepinabox
02JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

Warranty company's always turn down this type of repair initially and you need to contact an attorney. It is usually as simple as one letter from the attorney and miraculously everything gets approved.

Your engine was not run without oil. These old flat tappet engines don't like the newest spec oils on the market that have low/no zinc phos. in the formulation. Do a little leg work, and get the selling dealer involved. Just don't wimp out and let the warranty company off the hook.
Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.