Jeep Theft in Our Area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > Jeep Theft in Our Area

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
WayoftheFist

Jeep Theft in Our Area

So I was wondering if anyone here could let me know how the Jeep theft scene is in our area. City/surrounding suburbs. Does it happen often? Has it stopped/picked up? What are you doing to prevent it?

WayoftheFist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

there was one in chicago i know of that was posted here a couple months ago. Not sure if they found it or not. I have an alarm on my Jeep.. but i only use it when I have the hard top on. When its summer i have a bikini top on and they are easy to break in to... so usually you are best to just leave your doors unlocked so they dont cut the top trying to get in. Dont leave anything of value in there... and if you do.. get a hidden lock box. I have also heard of guys putting in hidden kill switches in their ignition so just turning the key wont start the Jeep.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
WayoftheFist

I'm more wondering about how often Jeeps get stolen. I only frequent safe areas, Jeep is never alone in a parking lot for more than a few hours without me checking it, and then that's usually at a restaurant's lot or something. I've been trying to see what the odds are, and how easy it is to hotwire/tow it away. I'm considering an affordable GPS solution, along with a killswitch. But I want to know if there's a theft ring going on targeting lifted Jeeps.

Thanks
WayoftheFist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
fsts2k

Mine was stolen in August and appears to be gone forever. Doing it again, I would do the following:

1) Make sure Comprehensive Insurance is paid (I had liability only...silly, I know)
2) Put in a master kill switch that is wired to the battery or wire one to the fuel pump
3) Look for an affordable way to have a GPS tracker on it
4) Use a club

Mine was stolen right in front of my house when it was parked on the street. I don't know if they towed it or drove it away. Cops have not been much assistance. I had hopes it would show up but being stripped of parts, that has not been the case. Seems to be a fair amount of Wrangler theft lately and they take the doors and hardtops, then sell on CL.

Good luck
fsts2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.