Illinois bumper and fender laws - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > Illinois bumper and fender laws

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
CF1973
2014 KL Cherokee 

Illinois bumper and fender laws

I am trying my ******est to find this information, I called the DMV and even left a voice-mail for the Illinios state police. It appears that bumpers need to be full width according to the rules, http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...050K12-608.htm, but I cannot seem to find any rule text on fenders.

Are stubby bumpers just not likely to be ticketed? Will I be forced to fix and have them inspected?

Same question for fender flares covering full tire width. Am I going to be ticketed and forced to fix them?

Thanks in advance for any information.

CF1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF1973 View Post
I am trying my ******est to find this information, I called the DMV and even left a voice-mail for the Illinios state police. It appears that bumpers need to be full width according to the rules, http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...050K12-608.htm, but I cannot seem to find any rule text on fenders.

Are stubby bumpers just not likely to be ticketed? Will I be forced to fix and have them inspected?

Same question for fender flares covering full tire width. Am I going to be ticketed and forced to fix them?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I talked to a cop a while back and he told me where to find the info.. but i cant remember where it was. He even said it wasnt laid out in black and white, but if a cop wanted to get ya on something it would be pretty easy. Most dont really care though unless youre doing something stupid.. or your rig is ridicuously not street legal. I am pretty sure the tires cannot exten at all beyond fenders and mud flaps.. and the bumper has to run the width of the vehicle, thus making stubbies illegal. I was worried about that on my first bumper.. but after bending it in half wheeling.. i switched to a stubby. I havent been bothered yet.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
CF1973
2014 KL Cherokee 

I spoke with someone at the office of state police, and they did some looking for me. It seemed like they were searching a printed version of the same information I linked to in the original post.

I asked about the bumper curving up at the ends and the person did not seem to think that was a problem, as the law does not specify "straight across" or other phrase with similar meaning. The downer on bumpers is max height and the full width text, "The bumper on any vehicle so modified or altered shall be at least 4.5 inches in vertical height and extend no less than the width of the respective wheel tracks outermost distance. "

They found no information what-so-ever about fenders. It seems http://www.liftlaws.com is accurate for Illinois minus the info about bumper width.

It seems likely the flat fenders I ordered will be fine, but I'm now looking for full width bumpers. A front bumper with removable end caps for wheeling would ideal.
CF1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I passed inspection just like this and I have had both local police and state police tell me that I am ok driving down the road like this. Cops have more to worry about than bumpers and fenders on Jeep's. To get a ticket for this you would really have to be breaking some laws and piss the cop off big time. I live outside of Chicago
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
msproch
2011 JK Wrangler 

Im a police officer here in IL and let me tell you looking at the front of your jeep is the last thing that im going to do let alone worry about what bumper you have. Unless ofcourse i like your jeep and I just pull you over to check it out
msproch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
lionseye
2005 KJ Liberty 

Asked an IL Sheriff yesterday and was told 21" from bottom of license plate to ground, but that they rarely ever bother anyone for that. I asked about the bumper length and if it had to cover a percentage of the tires and he chuckled and said that's not really an issue. The only thing that I question is the measurement from the bottom of the plate... some have their plate mounted high (even factory) so that doesn't seem 100% correct...
lionseye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
PlatinumOre
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've never had a problem, but I've never gotten pulled over.

I think its more likely that they'll only ticket you for these types of things(forward facing light, bumper width and height, tire vs fender clearance etc) if you've been stopped for something else.

btw, my tires stick out past my fenders, my bumper is higher than 14" or whatever? not sure on that one, and i cut my bumper and have 2 extra uncovered forward facing "headlights" on my grill guard.

County, State and local haven't ever given me a second look. *knock on wood*
PlatinumOre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
1999TJRED85000

Just punch this into Google and you'll find the real laws:

625 ILCS Chapter 12

If I remember correctly, it's 22" to the bumper, and the bumpers need to be as wide and the wheel track. Rarely does anyone ever get a ticket unless they have a totally outrageous rig, or they piss off a cop.
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
whowey
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TJRED85000 View Post
Just punch this into Google and you'll find the real laws:

625 ILCS Chapter 12
Rarely does anyone ever get a ticket unless they have a totally outrageous rig, or they piss off a cop.

Quoted for truth....

Do the reading for yourself... print a copy.. keep it in your rig. The average police officer in Illinois doesn't know what is contained in the depths of IVC. They have other WAYYY more important things to know and worry about.

But.. your mouth has an effect on what will happen to you on the roadside.

This is not the time to be playing internet lawyer. The state is another $9 billion in the hole... the governor has his budget axe out again and police activity reports are going to get noticed and create statistics that politicians like to quote when yacking about a budget item.
1994 ZJ Happily gone
whowey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
1999TJRED85000

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowey View Post
Quoted for truth....

Do the reading for yourself... print a copy.. keep it in your rig. The average police officer in Illinois doesn't know what is contained in the depths of IVC. They have other WAYYY more important things to know and worry about.

But.. your mouth has an effect on what will happen to you on the roadside.

This is not the time to be playing internet lawyer. The state is another $9 billion in the hole... the governor has his budget axe out again and police activity reports are going to get noticed and create statistics that politicians like to quote when yacking about a budget item.

Huh?
Unread 02-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999TJRED85000 View Post
Huh?
he basically means.. know the laws and be aware of what you can get in trouble for because the government is going to crack down on violations that are finable to generate income for the state.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
whowey
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickit1981 View Post
he basically means.. know the laws and be aware of what you can get in trouble for because the government is going to crack down on violations that are finable to generate income for the state.

Yup.....

Anyone else remember last year when Gov. Crackpot wanted to slash the State Police budget??? He wanted to shutter 3 or 4 district office and lay off about half the officers on the road. The fight was over money... How big of a stretch is it to think he will again... The State Police started a campaign with data of exactly the number of officer activities they had over each year.
1994 ZJ Happily gone
whowey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It really depends on the area you're from and the officer pulling you over. Most officers wont look twice at violations like that and others will make it there solumn duty to make an example of it. My xj has 33in tires that without fender flares, stick out about 4in from the body of the vehicle. I've been pulled over atleast 6 times in it and 5 of those 6 times the violation was not even mentioned. The 6th time the officer was a royal pain my ***. Ticketed me for the tires sticking out too far. He informed me that although it was considered an equipment violation, he could tow my vehcile on the fact that it was considered unsafe to operate. Basically because without fender flares or mud flaps, a rock could fling up at his windshield. Im sure he was just on his high horse trying to earn easy revenue for his town, but none the less, the law was true to his words. I guess my advice is to be kind and courteous to the ones pulling you over if your drive around with illegal parts on your rig.
Unread 01-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #14
ljvsnyder

Well this is an old post and just wanted to add a little information for those who do the search like I did. The above post citing the law are correct. While you may not get ticketed for the bumper it could cause issues in a civil case if your Jeep is involved in a motor vehicle accident and they can link the damage to the modified bumper. Just something to consider, this is why I will be installing either a full bumper or one of the modular bumpers. Good information provided.
ljvsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.