I need a favor... anyone in the SW Chicago burbs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > I need a favor... anyone in the SW Chicago burbs?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
unsung

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I need a favor... anyone in the SW Chicago burbs?

I need to weld sockets on to these locking lugs that the key is stripped out for. I do not possess a welder though. I'm also looking to find someone that can help asap as I have brake work that needs to be done.

So if anyone is interested, I would compensate, simply for welding on five sockets to five lugs to five wheels.

Thanks!

unsung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
GRN_BEAST95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

why dont you go get a new key. its probably gunna cost way less than wasting 5 sockets. im sure the dealership has one.
Green Jeep member 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojeeper View Post
Guam. I spent a week there one night.
GRN_BEAST95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
unsung

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It isn't that easy. McGard makes the key and they either want the code from the card that comes with the key, which I don't have, or I have to take foam off a coffee cup and get the pattern by imprinting it there and sending it in. Plus they also want a $15 check to replace their lifetime warrantied part.

I'd rather do away with the locks altogether so I bought a cheap socket set from autozone. So I want to weld them on so I can remove the locking lugs once and for all.
Unread 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't understand. The nuts are stuck on the hub. You can drive them off with a cold chisel and a hammer. I have done this before. Time consuming but not that hard, I had to do about 5 and it took about an hour.
Craftsman 3/8 x4 in. Cold Chisel

You could also use a nut buster. I don't know how well it would seen as i have never used one but i like the idea. I guess there is a possibility of you damaging the studs, but you can be gentle so to speak.

Craftsman Nut Cracker

hope that gives you some cheap fix ideas.

-John
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well either one of my methods will destroy the nuts.

-John
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
464steelman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem and took a thin wall socket and hammer and drove the socket onto the lock. Used a breakerbar and put even presssure on it and came right off. It worked 4 times on four locks.
464steelman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
unsung

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up doing the same thing, thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.