Drummond island jamboree - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > Drummond island jamboree

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
wranglerofspace
2010 JK Wrangler 

Drummond island jamboree

Anyone doing - or have done in the past - the Drummond island jeep jamboree? It's mid june this year.
Looking to see if anyone has recommendations on hotels and things to do.....will have my 4 year old son with me.
And just in general - comments on the trails up there. Thanks!

wranglerofspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Zakman
A locked & armored Sport

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Past couple of years I attended the JJ at Drummond:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/...nd-mi-1042904/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z...5/index11.html
- Post 153

It's a good time. The guides are great.
Stayed at the Drummond Island Resport as it's the HQ for the event.

The trails can be anything from very muddy / water holes to dry and dusty. Not bottomless waterholes though, as the island is known as the "rock" for a reason. For the most part, the trails are pretty flat. From my experiences, nothing too challanging, but I wasn't running with the big boys.

JJ has an event page on Facebook for all the events. Might want to check that out too.

This year I'm going to try the events at the Badlands and Penn's Woods for a change.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z...-sport-671095/
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

^^^^^^^

Beat me to it.

Drummond Island Hotel. No air and about 10 rooms. Cheap, but i would stay at the Resort.
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
wranglerofspace
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies.

Zakman....spent a good chunk of time on your thread. Very impressive.
Also very cool to see the pictures from the French lick jamboree. That was my first official run and the reason that my wallet is now much much lighter....
By the time I get to Drummond island in June my stock jeep won't be so stock!
The picture of my jeep on 3 wheels to the left there is actually while coming down Randy's Ravine!

Thanks again - maybe see you up in the UP.
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Zakman
A locked & armored Sport

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wrangler - thanks for the compliments!

French Lick was my first JJ back in '09 and have been hooked ever since.
It looks like you were in Blue Group last year.
How was the group?
I need to move up and trying to decide between Blue and Orange next year.

3 wheeling in Randy's always makes for a nice pucker factor.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z...-sport-671095/
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
wranglerofspace
2010 JK Wrangler 

Blue group was a little aggressive for me in a stock especially considering the fact that I had never really done anything like it. And on top of it I had my 4 year old son with me.
We got there pretty late on Thursday and made it near the end of check in and it seemed they were really just trying to balance the groups at that point.
Told them it was our first run but I wanted to be challenged a bit without any real worry of rolling with my son in the back seat.

That being said I would do it all over again if I could. The guides were fantastic - unbelievably helpful.

I was the only stocker - it was a pretty moderately modified group. No mods that were too crazy besides a couple of the guides rigs - was really cool to watch them glide over everything in front of them - they made it look really easy.
I only did one run where I was pretty uncomfortable....and now it's my son's and my best memory of the weekend: Randy's Ravine!
I'm glad I challenged myself and did the run. Took me a lot longer then the rest, but everyone was really helpful and informative on the way down. It was the only real rough run that I didn't take the bypass. And at no time did I feel out of place or uncomfortable for not playing on some of the more challenging runs.
The entire group was great with both my son and I.

Most of the guides from the blue group seem to run the same group each year and if I make it back I'd definitely try to run with them again. It was a nice steady pace the entire weekend - even for a total noob.
I'd recommend them - with your rig and experience you'd enjoy the blue!
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
mijeep01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've been to the drummond janboree twice, it was awesome. Stayed at the resort both times kind of expensive. I think I was in the blue group at French lick last year with you, going to Drummond this year maybe I'll see you there
mijeep01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
wranglerofspace
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hey mijeep! I'd remember that jeep anywhere - considering I spent most of the first day behind you. You were there with your wife right?

.... And by the way-welcome to the form. I've learned a ton of stuff on here.
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
mijeep01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that was mi jeep from mi. Did not think you did too bad for first time off road. See youre doing some upgrades to your jeep
Unread 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
wranglerofspace
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijeep01 View Post
Yeah that was mi jeep from mi. Did not think you did too bad for first time off road. See youre doing some upgrades to your jeep
thanks!
it's all it took to get me hooked.

definitely have gone overboard with the upgrades. have been piecing them together over the last few months and have them all lined up to be installed at the end of april. counting the days!

started off thinking about just doing a basic lift and tires. surprisingly my wife urged me on to do it right the first time....she knows me well and knows it wouldve cost more in the long run if i cut corners the first time around.
and with interest rates the way they i are figured: whats another loan on the pile of em we already have! not smart....but definitely fun!

hopefuly see you up in drummond in june
Unread 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
wranglerofspace
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijeep01 View Post
I've been to the drummond janboree twice, it was awesome. Stayed at the resort both times kind of expensive. I think I was in the blue group at French lick last year with you, going to Drummond this year maybe I'll see you there
are you staying at the resort again this year?
looking like thats where we may end up ... just seems convenient.
Unread 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
mijeep01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's the plan as of right now. Still need to sign up and make reservations, going to do it soon.
Unread 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
mijeep01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerofspace

thanks!
it's all it took to get me hooked.

definitely have gone overboard with the upgrades. have been piecing them together over the last few months and have them all lined up to be installed at the end of april. counting the days!

started off thinking about just doing a basic lift and tires. surprisingly my wife urged me on to do it right the first time....she knows me well and knows it wouldve cost more in the long run if i cut corners the first time around.
and with interest rates the way they i are figured: whats another loan on the pile of em we already have! not smart....but definitely fun!

hopefuly see you up in drummond in june
Yeah went through the same thing, it is very addicting the more you get the more you want. I keep looking and try to add something each year to improve.
Unread 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
mijeep01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know the feeling of wanting to do it right the first time. I did a 2.5" lift on mine after first outing I came home and said I should have went higher. I try to do something new each year hoping to put lockers in this year, but spent a lot money on my work van
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
wranglerofspace
2010 JK Wrangler 

Lockers sound real nice! Put those on my list for next year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.