any chicago jeeps? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 194 Old 05-17-2011, 03:20 PM
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler
 
B2CARPEN's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
Former Yooper and went to school at NMU!

Living in the City, Logan Square to be exact. I'd do a Badlands trip but would probably stick to the Green Trail as my LJ is a DD to Carol Stream most every day.

I also plan on doing a trip or two to Silver Lake Sand Dunes (4 hours)(profile pic) this summer.
Just a heads up... Green trail isn't the easiest. Green has some seriously off camber and steep trails, one of my favorite trails to run at the Badlands.

All the areas have "easier" trails to play on and once you get the feel for it you'll be on em all. Just take it slow in the beginning.

There's a gathering at the Badlands on the weekend of June 24th, some JF IL and Indy peeps will be there and should be a fun time. I won't be able to make that one unfortunately.

B2CARPEN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 194 Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 PM
ChicagoRod
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Just a heads up... Green trail isn't the easiest. Green has some seriously off camber and steep trails, one of my favorite trails to run at the Badlands.

.
I used to take my YJ there once a month, in the late 90's, then fix it for the other 3 weeks. I remember the Orange Trail having all the off camber stuff and Pink requiring front and rear lockers (I had them after I blew up the spider gears in the D35 like most people will eventually do). It's been 10 years since I've been back and now the LJ is a bit "pretty" for the crazy stuff.
ChicagoRod is offline  
post #48 of 194 Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 PM
5cents
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: robinson, il
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
I used to take my YJ there once a month, in the late 90's, then fix it for the other 3 weeks. I remember the Orange Trail having all the off camber stuff and Pink requiring front and rear lockers (I had them after I blew up the spider gears in the D35 like most people will eventually do). It's been 10 years since I've been back and now the LJ is a bit "pretty" for the crazy stuff.
To be honest with you, Orange is pretty easy now at least up to where you hit the concrete dump area. They have pretty much leveled most everything off. We took two stock xj's through it a month ago with no problems.
5cents is offline  
post #49 of 194 Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler
 
B2CARPEN's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
I used to take my YJ there once a month, in the late 90's, then fix it for the other 3 weeks. I remember the Orange Trail having all the off camber stuff and Pink requiring front and rear lockers (I had them after I blew up the spider gears in the D35 like most people will eventually do). It's been 10 years since I've been back and now the LJ is a bit "pretty" for the crazy stuff.
Yep things have changed a lot over the past few years even. No more such thing as pink trail, now it's green, orange, red, dunes, creek, and quarry.

Each area is easy enough for anyone to do, but there's trails / obstacles in each that are pretty hardcore.
B2CARPEN is offline  
post #50 of 194 Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 AM
7urtle
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 60633-46319
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN View Post
Yep things have changed a lot over the past few years even. No more such thing as pink trail, now it's green, orange, red, dunes, creek, and quarry.

Each area is easy enough for anyone to do, but there's trails / obstacles in each that are pretty hardcore.
whats a good beginner trail

hit it with a hammer
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/w.../#post10031031 -1UMF a really slow build. bruised and never left the street
WTB: rear bumper/tire carrier,31" tires,armor
7urtle is offline  
post #51 of 194 Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Filthy-Beast
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palatine
Posts: 2,332
As Brad has said all areas have easy trails and most of the hairy stuff has bi-passes. The key is go with a group that has a good spotter/leader.

My daughters both go with pretty stock jeeps and have no problems. They love the first half of Orange, the quarry and the creeks.

I always get a big laugh when a new wheeler asks if we can start on green. Most of green is easy but there a few spots that once you start your only choice is to continue and I still get nervous and a huge adrenalin buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

13 JKUR Build thread

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline  
post #52 of 194 Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler
 
B2CARPEN's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
As Brad has said all areas have easy trails and most of the hairy stuff has bi-passes. The key is go with a group that has a good spotter/leader.

My daughters both go with pretty stock jeeps and have no problems. They love the first half of Orange, the quarry and the creeks.

I always get a big laugh when a new wheeler asks if we can start on green. Most of green is easy but there a few spots that once you start your only choice is to continue and I still get nervous and a huge adrenalin buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Drew, not sure if you remember but my first time wheeling at the Badlands was with you and Matt and he took us on the "Green" trail first thing lol. I was thinking to myself, holy crap if these are considered the easy trails then there's no way I'll survive the rest of the day

7urtle - I would agree with Drew and say that the dunes, creek, and orange trail are all easy enough for anyone with any type of rig to start off on. Green trail should be done later in the day with some more experienced people leading and following along. There are some paths that are fairly easy, but there's one trail through green that I love more then anything else and still get a stomach drop everytime I run it.

You really learn to appreciate your jeep's capabilities after running green trail and playing around in the quarry for a bit.
B2CARPEN is offline  
post #53 of 194 Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
ChicagoRod
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 766
This was me and the YJ on the Pink Trail. It's all about how much you want your stomach to drop....

(note the "full frame" of the photo, shot on slide film before digital cameras were everywhere.)
Attached Thumbnails
3wheeling.JPG  
ChicagoRod is offline  
post #54 of 194 Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Filthy-Beast
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palatine
Posts: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2CARPEN

Drew, not sure if you remember but my first time wheeling at the Badlands was with you and Matt and he took us on the "Green" trail first thing lol. I was thinking to myself, holy crap if these are considered the easy trails then there's no way I'll survive the rest of the day
I remember getting out and looking over every hill to make sure I wasn't going over the edge of a cliff. I was thinking OMG this GREEN, and that was the easy part of green. It wasn't until my 4th trip that I found the ridge with the "extreme danger" sign.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

13 JKUR Build thread

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline  
post #55 of 194 Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 AM
keithert
Registered User
 
keithert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 2,028
I live in Elgin and wheel with the DDO group also. They are a great group of people.

Current: 2005 Wrangler Unlimited - Past: 90 and 92 Trackers and 98 Wrangler SE
keithert is offline  
post #56 of 194 Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM
jeffreybomb
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I live in Elgin and wheel with the DDO group also. They are a great group of people.
I joined their forum a few days ago after finding them through this thread. Looking forward to heading out to a couple events when I get the time!

TACOS!
http://bit.ly/Z5ozs4
jeffreybomb is offline  
post #57 of 194 Old 05-30-2011, 06:16 AM
jknutter
Registered User
 
jknutter's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybomb View Post
I joined their forum a few days ago after finding them through this thread. Looking forward to heading out to a couple events when I get the time!
I've wheeled with DDO for the last three years and have enjoyed hanging with them. The wisemen are younger guys that like to have a good time. The membership has grown I think into the seventies this year so there is a ton of expirence to be shared.
jknutter is offline  
post #58 of 194 Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler
 
B2CARPEN's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknutter View Post
I've wheeled with DDO for the last three years and have enjoyed hanging with them. The wisemen are younger guys that like to have a good time. The membership has grown I think into the seventies this year so there is a ton of expirence to be shared.
Yep, age has no bearing on experience in this hobby Since I don't have much difficulty wheeling through the trails anymore, I sometimes find more enjoyment helping less experienced members try new obsticles. This past winter I jumped in Pete's green JK (Rescued JK) and helped navigate him up a steap and icy trail. It was awesome watching him get over his doubts and fears and grow with excitement as we made multiple attempts and almost got up that hellish cliff
B2CARPEN is offline  
post #59 of 194 Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Filthy-Beast
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palatine
Posts: 2,332
Monday June 6th I'll be at the Badlands. My son is in town on leave. My daughters and their almost stock jeeps will be along for the trip too. It will be kind of a newbie / easier run if anyone wants to join in.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

13 JKUR Build thread

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline  
post #60 of 194 Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 PM
IL_WJ04
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 31
Aw darn really want to go but I'm out of town on business. Need to put a trailer hitch on the WJ this weekend. Any recommendations on how to cutout the bumper while its still installed? I was hoping to just do it with a jigsaw.

Have a great trip FB and let me know how it goes.

-Pat
IL_WJ04 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
chicago apt for rent! 82cj8project Illinois Jeep Forum 0 08-18-2010 05:26 PM
Chicago nobodyfresh Illinois Jeep Forum 2 08-08-2010 08:13 PM
Looking for a TJ in Chicago Champion Illinois Jeep Forum 0 05-21-2009 05:22 PM
chicago area looking for tj boconnor811 Illinois Jeep Forum 6 07-26-2008 11:47 PM
Central Arkansas - Daniels Auto Salvage - JEEPS!! JEEPS!! JEEPS!!! luckycheesehead South Central USA 1 05-08-2008 10:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome