any chicago jeeps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > any chicago jeeps?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
larudy
1996 ZJ 

any chicago jeeps?

just wondering if im the only one

Unread 03-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
IL_WJ04
2004 WJ 

Larudy,

I was wondering the same thing. I'm down in Naperville. How about you?
What do you like to do with your Jeep?

-Pat
IL_WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of us out here in Northern IL are with Down and Dirty Offroaders (DDO) and wheel regularly at the Cliffs Insane Terrain Marselles IL and the Badlands Attica IN. I'm from Lake County. Feel free to join DDO if you want to stay current with wheeling trips and such.
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
IL_WJ04
2004 WJ 

B2,

I'm a boilermaker. So I know the Badlands Pretty well. Ever seen the SAE Baja Competiton? While at school I built 2 of those cars and we used to test them down in Attica. I've seen stuff on Cliffs before and was wondering your thoughts. My WJ is pretty much stock. Would that place kill it?

-Pat
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Stock TJs, JKs, and cherokees have wheeled with us at the Cliffs before and did just fine. The outer green trail and a few other trails are quite suitable for stockish rigs. Some of the more advanced trails are easy to identify but if you ever feel uncomfortable with a trail, you can usually take a bypass or leave your rig in the lot for that run and hop in with someone else. It's all a matter of how you wheel, and how skillful you are.

Badlands is by far the more favorable place to go, but definitely quite a ways farther for most of us. If you are familiar with the Badlands you will do fine at the Cliffs. Also, having a BAJA rig helps a little haha.
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
IL_WJ04
2004 WJ 

This was Mini-Baja.

Chekc it out: https://engineering.purdue.edu/SAE/Baja/bajamain.html

I may run down to Cliff's tomorrow I have a buddy that lives in morris.
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Those things are awesome! Looks like a lot of fun, have fun at the Cliffs if you decide to go. The only thing I should warn you about is the conditions. The Cliffs has a reputation for being a mudpit, especially after seeing some serious rain. The nice thing about the Badlands is there's usually a decent amount of sand mixed in the trails which helps with traction. There's nothing but endless mud at the Cliffs when the wet season arrives.

The only time the Cliff's is dry is when it's in the winter and everything is frozen over, or in the late fall if there's a lack of rain. If you look in my build thread you will see quite a few pics from wheeling at the Cliffs I took a while ago. Have fun and be safe.
Unread 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
killer_bee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am in Frankfort. You can see me on my off days roaming about Chicago. Would love to go to Cliffs or the badlands someday. Have a stock TJ and a YJ "rat"project.Once the YJ is done it will be mainly for fun at places like those mentioned.I would like to take the TJ from stock to bigger tires and a lift but nothing too crazy as its my DD.
Hull Number 114 US Navy Jeep Club! Member of the Yellow Jeep Club!Sexy Jeep Club #3!Orange Jeep ( no idea what number yet ;) )
killer_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
nocoast

I live in Chicago but I'm from naperville. I'm looking for some mild 4x4 trails and camping. Anyone know of any place? Wisconsin? Kentucky? Tennessee? Closer? Badlands and cliffs may be a little much for stock jk and novice ***.
nocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
FireMedicJeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Im in Peotone, WILL County. Im always hitting local trails and making my first trip to the badlands in Attica in the next few months!
FireMedicJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
IL_WJ04
2004 WJ 

Nocoast,

I was looking for the same thing. I have a small group together that wants to do a camping trip in a few weeks (Possibly some hiking & Kayaking) I'll let ya know where we decide to go. If anyone wants to meet up and do some mild trails I'd like to go out sometime.

-Pat
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
Bighurt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Im outta Buffalo grove, I go to school in the UP but am in IL the whole summer. Lets get a badlands weekend trip setup sometime
Bighurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
killer_bee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

hey fire medic loacl trails in Will County where? I have seen some along the former J tracks near Joliet and up by Spaulding.Seen a few on our Matteson sub side but most looks off limits due to private property and well nasty neighborhoods.

Hull Number 114 US Navy Jeep Club! Member of the Yellow Jeep Club!Sexy Jeep Club #3!Orange Jeep ( no idea what number yet ;) )
killer_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoast View Post
I live in Chicago but I'm from naperville. I'm looking for some mild 4x4 trails and camping. Anyone know of any place? Wisconsin? Kentucky? Tennessee? Closer? Badlands and cliffs may be a little much for stock jk and novice ***.
You should have no problems at either The Cliffs or The Badlands in stock trim, provided of course you're wheeling with the right group. My wife and I both have JK's and have wheeled both parks without problem. Hell, I've wheeled Moab in a stock rig without issues.

If you're interested getting a feel for what your rig can do my club is hosting their annual Newbie Run at the badlands on Saturday May 7th. More details here ---> GLJT Newbie Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_bee View Post
hey fire medic loacl trails in Will County where? I have seen some along the former J tracks near Joliet and up by Spaulding.Seen a few on our Matteson sub side but most looks off limits due to private property and well nasty neighborhoods.
Pretty much the only place we have to wheel our rig's in this region is The Cliffs in Marseilles, IL or The Badlands in Attica, IN.
Unread 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
FireMedicJeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah guys the only place to really trail ride is a local forest area only a few (2) acres called diversatech. And thats in Manteno..I never have a problem out there, but im not out there effing everything up.
FireMedicJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.