4x4 Trails near elgin - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Illinois Jeep Forum > 4x4 Trails near elgin

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 11-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Question 4x4 Trails near elgin

Does anybody know any trails around here that you would be willing to share? I've been to cliffs but thats too far and I don't think my new jeep would be able to handle it. Any little muddy spots or anything?

DirtyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
project88xj

Where you out of
project88xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hanover Park
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Darnit, I thought I had a fellow Texan close to me I might be able to wheel with......Where I'm at in TX is also near a town named Elgin. But I bet you pronounce it differently.....My Elgin is pronounced Ehl-Gin (with a hard G like Goat). Yours is probably with a soft g like Gin the drink.

Anyway, nothing to see here.....Good hunting!
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
myblackyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lets use that 4wheel drive
myblackyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
coltonflak12
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackyj
Lets use that 4wheel drive
Where you located by? Im close to elgin too
coltonflak12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
myblackyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bartlett
myblackyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There is nothing legal in this area. Cliffs is the closest park. You might be able to find a landowner who would give you permission, but I don't know of any who have an open invite to people.

People used to go to the DMV off of 31/20, but they issue tickets there now. There used to be a place in Spring Grove, but that is off-limits now too.

I grew up around here, and live near Elgin still.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I found one, but the guy said dirt bikes only... so we go at night. The one behind the dmv was funny. We took a Taurus down there once. Did you ever go to the one by the old walmart on Randal? That was a great spot. The police watch that like a hawk now.
Unread 12-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRabbit View Post
I found one, but the guy said dirt bikes only... so we go at night. The one behind the dmv was funny. We took a Taurus down there once. Did you ever go to the one by the old walmart on Randal? That was a great spot. The police watch that like a hawk now.
I've actually never tried any of them, I just know about them. I see police at the Wal-Mart almost daily, that is on my daily commute route.

I would suggest sticking to legal options. Finding illegal spots doesn't help the hobby. It makes things worse going forward. Even the dirt bike guy will notice and tell the police. Stay legal and avoid the hassle.

Unread 12-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
Stay legal and avoid the hassle.

Illegal wheeling could lead to the death of the hobby, so don't do it, especially in Illinois, it'll just give the legislators reason to outlaw modified Jeeps, and don't think they wouldn't.

The Cliffs is okay, the Badlands is better (make a weekend out of it), and Moab tops them both....make a week out that.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It just sucks taking your DD to places like that. Been to the cliffs once, everyone in my convoy broke something except me and that was back when I had my Wrangler. I done think my XJ would make it out alive.
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It just sucks taking your DD to places like that. Been to the cliffs once, everyone in my convoy broke something except me and that was back when I had my Wrangler. I done think my XJ would make it out alive.
I've been to the Cliffs many times, I always make it out alive, and I DD mine too. I try not to go after it's rained for a few days, because it's just a mud fest and mud is evil.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's better than a trespassing ticket and possible impound of your vehicle. Find legit places to go. The pickings are slim around Elgin though.

Badlands has some real easy sections where you won't run a risk of breaking much (if anything). Camping down there is plentiful.

Unread 12-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't know you can camp there ill have to check it out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.