Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Wisconsin Jeep Forum > Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

Has anyone run this trail, especially with a Jeep? Looks like it could make for a fun long weekend.

http://transwisconsintrail.com/wordpress/?page_id=91

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Unread 07-06-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
IH8PEPL
Build thread coming soon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDog View Post
Has anyone run this trail, especially with a Jeep? Looks like it could make for a fun long weekend.

http://transwisconsintrail.com/wordpress/?page_id=91

Thanks in advance for any advice!
I know its been a while since you posted. But ive rode the TWAT and im planning on riding it again this fall

Not technically a trail its more of a route. The actual TWAT is for Duelsport motorcycles which get to take advantage of Wisconsin's extensive ATV trail system. Jeeps are stuck to public roads. Its a bit rough on the gas budget, at least with my rig, because of the winding roads and low speeds. I think the TWAT route is more than double the miles of what it would be if you took highways. But its something interesting to do at least once.

Ill break it down into 3 parts.

Part 1 - Southern WI: Big rolling hills (driftless region), with little quaint main street community's. Paved and gravel roads and some interesting scenery of the hills, valleys and Mississippi river. Basically just a pleasant drive through the country. Watch out for deer!

Part 2 - Central WI: Terrain flattens out, woods get thick, mostly state forests, Indian reservation land and cranberry farms. Flat land, sandy soil, little to no rocks or mud. Paved, gravel and sand roads. Still pretty, but not much offroad action. Lots of Ticks. In my opinion its the most boring part of the trip.

Part 3 - Northern WI: Woods get really thick. Towns become few and far between. Its a good mix of paved, gravel, logging and sometimes no road at all. Some of the logging roads are fairly muddy and rutted with large round rocks, but nothing you should get stuck on with a 4x4. Pin striping is unavoidable. Its relatively isolated so watch your fuel level - next town might be 50+ miles away. Mosquitos are the size of a house cat. Bear, wolves and elk also inhabit the area, so you might catch a glimpse. Stop at copper falls state park - its freaking beautiful! The final bit of the route takes you up to Lake Superior and in my opinion makes the first less than spectacular 2 parts of the TWAT all worth it. You can hop on the nearest highway and head back down towards IL, so the return trip will be faster.

This guys page has the GPS files (waypoints) that you can upload into your GPS unit and follow. It will give you a chance to see the trail and plan your trip. http://www.lonewolfexpeditions.com/twatgps.html

This article also sums it up pretty well, with pics:
http://gearjunkie.com/4x4-roadtrip-up-north

Don't forget to stop at the Delta Diner for a cheeseburger and malt.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply!

Is it doable with a single vehicle with a winch?
Unread 07-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #4
IH8PEPL
Build thread coming soon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDog View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Is it doable with a single vehicle with a winch?
You could do it in a Subaru.

Most of what you will be on is paved and gravel roads. In the northern end of the Twat you follow some forestry roads which are muddy, slightly rutted, some have rocks or occasional downed trees you might need to go over. Id be surprised if you need to winch yourself out of anything.

Think of it as a pleasant trail ride or as a scenic route thru the state.

I didn't stop much to take pics because I was in a time constraint to get to my camping location.

This is what alot of the northern forestry roads look like, which will offer you the most challenge... Depending on rainfall, add or take away mud/standing water. 4wd is all you should need. If you do somehow manage to get stuck, have a tree saver strap handy and hook up to a tree of your choice - there is no shortage of large trees.

Skid plate deep ruts, im on 35s and was still dragging.

Door sill deep muddy water with hidden rocks

This is generally what the TWAT is:
Northern TWAT - Fall Colors were awesome

Northern TWAT

Central TWAT - just flat, sandy - lot of pine trees, not much to look at.

Southern TWAT
Unread 07-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
ive rode the TWAT and im planning on riding it again this fall
If you end up doing this in the fall and want another Jeep along please P.M. me in advance. I sure would like to do this.

BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, Rock Hard Cage, Banks Exhaust, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
schuellk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Looks like a nice long weekend trip. I may have to add that to the "to do" list.
schuellk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
IH8PEPL
Build thread coming soon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
If you end up doing this in the fall and want another Jeep along please P.M. me in advance. I sure would like to do this.
Will do
Unread 09-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
ArcticWC
2012 KK Liberty 

I'm very interested in this. We have a house in Galena, IL which is near where this trail starts. Do you know where exactly around Galena it starts?
ArcticWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
IH8PEPL
Build thread coming soon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticWC View Post
I'm very interested in this. We have a house in Galena, IL which is near where this trail starts. Do you know where exactly around Galena it starts?
You can get the Trans Wisconsin Overland Route GPS files here, just scroll down till you see the Jeep:
http://www.lonewolfexpeditions.com/twatgps.html

The TWAT begins on IL 84, which turns into WI 80 (once you cross the border) towards Hazel Green WI
Unread 10-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
SKT
1981 CJ7 

That's a good article:

http://gearjunkie.com/4x4-roadtrip-up-north

Sounds like a fun trek!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.