McCaslin Mtn., WI Closed for GOOD!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Wisconsin Jeep Forum > McCaslin Mtn., WI Closed for GOOD!!!!

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
jakeWI
1996 XJ Cherokee 

McCaslin Mtn., WI Closed for GOOD!!!!

months back there was a huge stir saying that McCaslin Mtn in Wisconsin was going to get shut down for good. It turned out that it was just rumors and that the DNR was just doing some work back in the area. Now as today, supposedly per the WI DNR and one source says that the mountain is closed for good. Not sure if anyone else heard anything and if so please chime in. Once I get more info, I will be sure to add it hear to let everyone know.
:helpme::flamemad:

Jake

Jeep Buildhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hwoods-958674/
jakeWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
jakeWI
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Copied off of another local forum:
"Zebb, for some reason, you come off the wrong way to me. You sound as if you were trying to help get the mountain shut down. If so, why? Anyways, I just called and talked to Edith, and she confirmed what has been said. The DNR was back doing some checking out and has come to the conclusion that they don't want things blocked off, they want them repaired. Which is what we were starting to do on Machette trail.
Too many waterways were damaged and need to be repaired back to their original ways. The Smiths decided to close the mountain down for good as there is just to much damage and to much to repair. If the repairs are done, they don't want to take the chance that people will go and cause damage again, so they closed the mountain. I offered my help along with others to do the repairs needed, and Edith said possibly in the future we might be able to help with repairs but cannot make promises to reopen the mountain.

I just love losing my wheeling lands to some dumb *** wheelers who cannot respect the land and just do what they want with their liquid courage. These people don't care and don't want to understand what it takes to get or keep wheeling land open. They will just find some field or private land to wheel on and destroy as they did here. Yes, I am pissed at this.

The pipeline has improved so much over the past few years. Why cannot this be the same for McCaslin. There just isn't anybody to police their trails as the pipeline has with the forest service. McCaslin will be sadly missed by me and many more. To all those wheelers out there who don't give a **** about the land they wheel on, go screw yourselves!!!! I will find you and turn your *** in!!!! Sorry, rant off.

Kim"

Unread 04-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
paulzwieg

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Posted on McCaslin mountains website. Yes it is closed as of May 1st.
www.wohva.com
paulzwieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
jakeWI
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Theres a huge thread over on WI4x4 about the whole controversy. Bunch of stuff stirred up. Probably not worth anyone going over there and reading.

Just know, Wisconsin lost a great wheeling location. Most of the area was closed for good reasons, but anyone that knows McCaslin knows that the areas that needed to be closed were because they were never supposed to be open. It was from trail thrashers creating there own way back there. Months back, WI4x4 (which is just a forum NOT a club) went to McCaslin to close off some areas from wheeling to help out the Smiths and the DNR keep people out of certain areas. The DNR closed it so repairs can be made. It will be closed for a long time because the repairs themselves would take resources and just time. As of right now the Smiths do not wish to re open it or have plans right now to do so. A lot of the land was/is trust land, other acres of it were part of the Smiths land. It will remained closed with no news of changing that in the near future. If anyone from WOHVA has anymore specific details that they would like to share please do since I know the group has better ties with DNR and the Forest Service and it would be great to hear from the group that everyone should be able to look to for some sort of clarification when it comes to Wisconsin related land issues and OHV's.

Unread 05-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This blows. I was planning a trip up there soon. Another GREAT wheeling spot closed down!

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sad to hear this. We were there quite a few years back and had a great time!
Actually found a few Wisconsoners that showed us FIPs around!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.