Any unmaintained roads near the border of IL/WI? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Wisconsin Jeep Forum > Any unmaintained roads near the border of IL/WI?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
willcherokeexj
2014 JK Wrangler 

Any unmaintained roads near the border of IL/WI?

Looking for service roads/ logging trails/ dirt roads, forestry roads anything that I can take my Jeep through.

IL has no trails but if it is near madison then I might come take a looksy.

2014 JK - Willy's Wheeler Edition
willcherokeexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcherokeexj View Post
Looking for service roads/ logging trails/ dirt roads, forestry roads anything that I can take my Jeep through.

IL has no trails but if it is near madison then I might come take a looksy.
Everything from the IL boarder to Madison is cornfield. The southern most logging/fire roads in WI are near Black River WI, way northwest of Madison. They are about as challenging as any gravel road. But still scenic and might give you some pinstripes. You will need to drive up to Crivitz WI (Nicolet National Forest) or the U.P. to find anything worth doing.

You might want to spend some time on Google earth and look for high tension power lines that run towards Chicago... they sometimes have unmaintained access/maintenance roads that follow them. Or just hop on any of Illinois DOT roads - those are unmaintained and bumpy.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #3
Duh

Sand logging trails near wisconsin rapids, havent been there in years. A couple of nice soft hill climbs. Too far?
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

To the OP. Since you are in IL, there's Cliffs insane terrain park, the Silver Lake Sand Dunes and the Badlands off road park. All within reasonable distance. Might want to check it out.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
ArcticWC
2012 KK Liberty 

South River Road that runs along the Mississippi up near Galena/Hanover. there's two halves to it because a downed bridge (or maybe road washout) separates them. The northern section is cool, runs under Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort, but the southern section is cooler and has some good (for Illinois) climbs. Probably nothing you couldn't do in 2wd, but it's pretty scenic and it's only 1 lane.
ArcticWC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.