What to buy??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > New Mexico Jeep Forum > What to buy???

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
PurpleToxin1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Question What to buy???

Ok, so im in the market for my first vehicle, being 16 I want something thats going to be a good daily driver, but is completely capable off-road. I am torn between wranglers/cj's or an XJ cherokee, and i definately want the 4.0. I plan on putting at least 33's, so if anyone could give me some advice on what I should get it would be really helpfull. Dont really want to spend over $5000.

P.S. this jeep will be used for hunting/camping and i have gotten into some pretty rough stuff in the Gila.

PurpleToxin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Find a XJ Cherokee 1992+ model year. They are cheap, easy to work on and hold alot of stuff when you go 4 wheelin'. Add an inexpensive 3" lift and decent 31" tires and you are totaled less than $5,000.00.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
garand555

Yup, XJ. I wanted a Wrangler, but had a hard time finding one worth driving for less than what you want to spend, and many of those that I was eying were way, way, way overpriced. One guy wanted to sell me an 89 Wrangler for $2500. It didn't have an engine and he said he'd knock $500 off if he kept the tranny and t-case. That's the kind of thing that makes my middle finger rise. I'll give you $800 for a clean (little to no rust) tub on wheels. Instead, I wound up with AC, doors that lock and a vehicle that is far, far more capable than I thought XJs ever were, and for a whole helluva lot less than a wrangler. I could do without the other creature comforts that come with it, but I'm not gonna ***** about them either. Unless they break and I have to fix them, that is.

If you are patient, you could find an XJ in very good condition that you would have to do nothing to beyond general maintenence as a DD for $1500-$3000. Maybe you would end up paying a few hundered too much or get a deal that is great by a few hundered, but you'd still have some budget left over to upgrade, especially if you were willing to fab stuff yourself. A buddy of mine picked one up that needed a new head gasket. He had the head milled, threw a new head gasket on there and it was good to go. He paid $500 for it and did the work himself, except for the machine work. Everything else was in cherry condition.
garand555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.