trails in new mexico near taos - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > New Mexico Jeep Forum > trails in new mexico near taos

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
ifritzwj
2005 WK 

trails in new mexico near taos

im headed to new mexico for a family trip and was wondering does any one know any good trails near the taos, angelfire, eagles nest, red river area? also if any one has a google map file for it if they could put a link to it i would really appreciate it.

ifritzwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
bhblaine
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Red River has some of the best wheeling for that area. it offers TONS of trails to explore including Greenie Peak which is the highest point in New Mexico to take a motorized vehicle.
I don't have GPS files but here are some off of Everytrail.com
Greenie Peak
Goose Lake
Cabresto Lake
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

As bhblaine points out, it is a good wheeling area and there are some great places to see. I fly fish and jeep that area from the Colorado border down way past Taos. There are many forest roads, hot springs (along the Rio Grande), meadows. They are remote and beautiful.

There are so many places, too many to mention. I would contact Carson Natl Forest for their map which has the roads marked. Word of caution, you will want to see what is open to the public as much of NM forest have been closed.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/carson/

As you may have heard, there has been devastating wild fires in Az, Tx and NM. The area has been much dryer than normal (we have not had rain where I live since last Sept) and wild fires have already taken out hundreds of thousands of acres of forest in AZ, NM and even here in TX where we had pine forest in high mountains in west Tx.

Cabresto Lake has also been closed for construction of a new dam that will make the lake many times larger.

Sorry to leave you on a sad note. I have canceled my NM trip this year (but still planning on Colorado). AND rains could start and it be different in even the next few days.

Check with the forest service. Good Luck.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
ifritzwj
2005 WK 

Thank you for posting ill check them out and tell ya how it goes.
ifritzwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.