Jeep trails and tent camping around Cloudcroft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > New Mexico Jeep Forum > Jeep trails and tent camping around Cloudcroft?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep trails and tent camping around Cloudcroft?

Me and the wife are going to take a trip to the Cloudcroft area labor day weekend. I've been searching the net like crazy looking for trails that you can camp on. It seems like there are tons of very scenic forest roads all over, but I can't find info on if you can camp along these roads. They look pretty secluded. Using Google Maps and the photospot options, I've found tons of neat trails but cannot tell if they are Jeep trails or ATV trails. Anyone have any links to maps or camping info they'd like to share? Thanks in advance.

2002 TJ Apex edition. 3" Full Traction Suspension lift. 1-1/4" body lift, 1" mml. 33 X 12.50 - 15 BFG MT. 15x8 Soft 8's. LP30 and D44 rear. 8.8 and HP 30 disco for sale.
linexrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check these site and contact them for more info about trails around southern NM, or search for NM 4x4 clubs and ask them if they have more info about land use.

http://www.nmoffroad.com/forumvb/forum.php
http://www.swfwda.org/Member_Clubs.html

Just be advised to check for forest closure due to wild fires. I believe the Lincoln National forest has a website that might be able to answer some of the questions as well.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQ oY6IeDdGCqCPOBqwDLG-AAjgb6fh75uan6BdnZaY6OiooA1tkqlQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjBNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110308&navtype=forestBean&navid=09100000000000 0&pnavid=null&cid=null&ttype=main&pname=Lincoln%20 National%20Forest%20-%20Home

Let me know if you find anything.
drewtj05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alot of the forest roads (aka Jeep Trails) have been closed to Jeep travel over the past few years. Some are still open to ATV/motorcycles. There are still some scenic drives in the area. I belive that camping is permitted within 200 feet of any forest road. There are still some fun jeep roads down around the Timberon area.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
linexrandy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymguyjeep View Post
Alot of the forest roads (aka Jeep Trails) have been closed to Jeep travel over the past few years. Some are still open to ATV/motorcycles. There are still some scenic drives in the area. I belive that camping is permitted within 200 feet of any forest road. There are still some fun jeep roads down around the Timberon area.
Ok, what about up by Ruidoso? We're heading out of Abilene Friday early AM and hitting up Carlsbad Caverns first as the wife's never been, and the last time I was there I was 2 so don't remember it. Then from there, I am open to anywhere it's cool. Tired of this 105 degree weather!. Lincoln Forest looked closest, don't want to go too far, plan on heading back to Texas on Sunday. I can't do any real "trails" yet because I don't have a sye and cv rear driveshaft yet (swapped in D44 and drive shaft is a little long) plus I don't want to break anything since we'll be alone. Just some simple, site seeing dirt roads in the mountain is what we're looking for.
2002 TJ Apex edition. 3" Full Traction Suspension lift. 1-1/4" body lift, 1" mml. 33 X 12.50 - 15 BFG MT. 15x8 Soft 8's. LP30 and D44 rear. 8.8 and HP 30 disco for sale.
linexrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ruidoso is even more limited than the Cloudcroft area. There is alot more private land around Ruidoso and the indian reservation make choices limited. A couple of drives in the area that are pretty good are Bonita Lake to Nogal Peak and Capitan Mountains. If you have a forest service map of the area, you will see a FS road that turns right after passing Bonita Lake. This road winds through the forest and takes you close to Nogal Peak and rises to a pretty high elevation. You could hike to Nogal peak from the top of the road, turn around or continue and decend back to a highway that will get you back to Ruidoso. The Capitan Mountains are north and east of Ruidoso. There is a Jeep trail that will take you to a radio tower that is a little over 10,000 feet. There is a nice aspen grove on the way up that is a good place to stop. This is an up and down trail. You can also drive up to the ski area on Sierra Blanca for a nice view.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.