Goose Lake, Red River NM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > New Mexico Jeep Forum > Goose Lake, Red River NM

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Goose Lake, Red River NM

On July 2, me and two other jeeps set out to Goose Lake. We were told by the local jeep rental manager that the trail still had snow drifts on the road and he wasn't sure we could get through. He had only heard of a few ATV's making it to the top. We looked forward to the challenge.

At the bottom as we were airing down and disconnecting swaybars, a group of three ATV's said they didn't think we would make it. This made it even more of a challenge. On the way up two jeeps and a Toyota said it was not passable near the top because of snow drifts. We were challenged again!

We started seeing snow about one mile from the top and encountered our first snow drift about 1/2 mile from the top. I'll admit, it was a tough looking obstacle. It was about 3 feet deep, uphill, on a turn and had two big rocks on either side. Since I was first in line, it was decided that I would get as much speed as possible and see how far I could go, then use the tow strap to pull me out. That is what I did. I repeated this maneuver at least 10 times before finally blasting through. The second jeep had to be pulled back with the tow strap twice before getting through on the third try and the third jeep made it through on the first attempt.

A little further we encountered a felled tree that had to be moved. This was at least a 60 footer with a more than two foot wide trunk. We used the winch and high lift jack to clear enough room for the jeeps to move forward. The ATV's had been going off trail to get around the tree (I hate it when they do that). There was one more serious drift to break through about 300 yards from the parking area around Goose Lake. This one was about 2.5 feet deep but much longer. It was about 40 feet long. We repeated the procedures allowing another jeep to go first. We had to use the tow rope about 6 times before the first jeep got through.

As soon as we got to Goose Lake, the weather turned bad and it sleeted and then rained for about 30 minutes then cleared up nicely. It was great to sit in our Jeeps out of the rain as the people on ATV's were scrambling for cover. It was really cool to be the first Jeep through a trail. We showed the photos to people at the bar in Red River that night to prove we made it.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
VegasJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

and no photos to us?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.