Chokecherry Canyon Trails and Information - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > New Mexico Jeep Forum > Chokecherry Canyon Trails and Information

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
4x4tricks
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Chokecherry Canyon Trails and Information

Chokecherry Canyon is located in Farmington. This canyon also known as the Glade Run Recreation Area and has hosted some awesome competitions (A.R.C.A., U.R.O.C.K., and W.E.R.O.C.K.). I am constantly working to get all of the information you need when you come to Farmngton to wheel. There is plenty of great 4 wheeling here in San Juan County and hopefully 4x4tricks.com can help you get around.

We are currently facing two fronts here. First the BLM is working to "Renovate" the 2003 RMP. You can find the plan in appendix C of the Farmington Resource Management Plan here Farmington Field Office RMP.
The other front that we are facing is the paving of the main road. This will split the canyon in half and will cause safety issues with our trail system. If you know the glade you can take a look at Alternate 3 in this MPO link.

We work with the BLM to keep this area open. Our group is not the problem nor is any other group. The real problem is that there needs to be action and enforcement. By action I mean the BLM beeds to work the RMP, it wont just work itself out. By enforcing the RMP we will have less conflicts and hopefully we can recreate without worrying about loosing our lands.

When all of the dust settles we will be back to marking, mapping, and creating access to all of the great trails. At this point it's hard to go out and re-GPS all of the trails. The last time we did so the BLM conveniently lost all the data. I have fragments, but it only consists of about 94 trail heads with a GPS location. Soon I will have them posted so you can look to see if they are open for use.

The most important thing is that we continue to bring people to Farmington for recreation. We also need to create events and bring people from all over the world as we have before. If we use it and speak up we may just keep our Resource of Recreation.

If I there is anything I didn't cover I appologize. Please look at the 4x4tricks site and let me know what I can ad to better serve you the information and mapping needed in Chokecherry Canyon!

Unread 08-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
4x4tricks
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Open Scopping August 25th for the Glade run Recreation area.

This comes directly from our local field office.
Notice the different e-mail address for comments. The BLM office swithced it up so most of the comments have been kicked back.

Dear Interested Party:

In compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969, as amended, and the Federal Land Policy and Management Act (FLPMA) of 1976, as amended, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Farmington Field Office (FFO), Farmington, New Mexico intends to prepare a Resource Management Plan Amendment (RMPA) to the 2003 Farmington RMP and an associated recreation and travel management plan. The Environmental Assessment (EA) for this planning effort will focus on issues related to recreation, travel management, and land tenure within the Glade Run Recreation Area (the Glade).

The planning area encompasses 17,935 acres of public land, is approximately 21,544 acres in total size, and is located in San Juan County, New Mexico (see enclosure).

New forms of motorized vehicles and technology, population growth, increasing user conflicts, etc., have out-paced guidance and decisions made in the current recreation and travel management plan for the Glade that was approved in 1996. To address these changes, the RMPA/EA will consider proposals to amend the RMP to make changes in off-highway vehicle area designations (OHV). OHV area designations are land use allocations that classify areas of public lands as open, limited, or closed to motorized travel (43 CFR 8342). In addition, this planning effort will develop management alternatives that include specific activity planning targeted at identifying a travel and transportation network of routes for specified uses within the planning area.

The planning effort will also include an application by the City of Farmington to acquire a Recreation and Public Purposes lease on approximately 980 acres within the planning area.

The BLM will hold a public scoping meeting August 25th, 2011, at San Juan College Henderson Fine Arts building, rooms 9010/9012. The public meeting will be from 4:30 PM until 7:30 PM with a short presentation at 5:30 PM. The goal of the meeting is to provide information on the planning process and get your help in determining relevant issues that will influence and guide the planning process.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at 505-599-6389 or Janelle Alleman, Outdoor Recreation Planner at 505-599-8944. You may also submit comments on issues and planning criteria related to the Farmington Glade Run Recreation Area RMPA/EA by mail at the above address, by FAX to 505-599-8999 Attn: Outdoor Recreation Planner, or by e-mail to NM_FFO_Comments@blm.gov.

Sincerely,

Gary Torres
Field Manager
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
4x4tricks
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Comment Period extended for the Glade Run Recreation Area

From Mark,

Currently on the board for the NMOHV.

Yes, I have been through it all with the BLM.

1) NMOHVA's comments have been received and logged. I have a verification that this is so.
2) Yes, the email address they gave in the NOI is now not functional. I sent them a formal protest explaining why this is not 'okay', even with a new address provided, and requested they start the whole thing over.
3) The comment period has now been extended until Sept 24th because of the public meeting they scheduled for the 25th. The rules are such that they must accept comments during the comment period or 30 days after the last public meeting, whichever is later.

Mark
Unread 08-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
oldballz
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm confused as to what's going on here, I think I need the "cliff notes" version. Sounds to me like the BLM is taking comments from the 4X4 / Biking / Hiking community about what areas should be mapped / marked for ORV and non ORV use? Am I correct, or way out in left field? Are they considering closing certain areas to ORV's, but leaving them open to hiking / biking? I've never heard of a proposition to pave the glade road HELP!!!!!

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/2011-rubicon-unlimited-suspension-1282519/"]ONE MAN'S JUNK IS ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE. PARTS FOR SALE HERE[/URL][/SIZE]
oldballz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
4x4tricks
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You are correct. Comments for renovating the Resource Management plan. As far as the MPO paving the glade. We hope the glade part is found out of the question. The Glade Run Recreation area showed up on the MPO Major Thoroughfare Plan and it got passed at a City Council Meeting. What's wrong here? Isn't that Federal Land?.. So I really hope that issue is tabled for now.

There is no doubt that each time this happens the open OHV area gets smaller and smaller. Just recently all of the limited use trails got cut off. Tickets started getting written and all kinds of action was being taken. Why? I am not sure. There wasn't any notice of intent, but over night everything changed.

The BLM has lost all of our trail marking data that we did with their system. Many hours were spent putting together trail marking and signage. A lot of it got plucked. The interesting thing is these are some of the oldest areas that we have 4 wheeled in. In the 80's the Canyon started becoming very active.

I have grown up here wheelin with my family since the early 80's. here is what I have to say.

I would like the BLM to give us our trails back and let us manage the historical use of Chokecherry Canyon. Through Mapping and Marking we can make the area more navigable and safer.

I would like them to treat events coming to town equally. Our arena seems to have been run off and it may be hard for us to bring it back. The historic 2009 W.E.R.O.C.K. Grand Nationals, the SuperCrawls, Uroc, Pro Rock and A.R.C.A. have all been economic power houses.

"Let's bring back the Resource of Recreation".
Unread 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
oldballz
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm familiar with a few trails in the canyon, but I have no idea what is considered a "limited use area". Even if I was ticketed for wheeling on something, I would probably do it again. I think it's awfully convenient that the BLM "lost" the coordinates, and mapping information you all worked to build. I also think it's great that signs and trail markers are being removed by certain individuals.

I agree with you about the competitions that used to come to our area. I even went and watched a few back in the day before I ever owned a jeep. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I'm sure the rock crawling competitions brought in a fair chunk of revenue to the community as well. I don't understand why these great activities would be run out of the area. Were not hurting anyone!

What can I as an individual do to help? I know a few people who may scream about closures, and such.
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
4x4tricks
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No matter what we do not want to get out of hand with this. It is certainly a delicate situation.

What we can do is first recommend that we are allowed to map trails in the open and limited use OHV area. The only other things I would recommend is we do not shrink any boundaries do to the growth of users and that we treat all events equally.

Come to the meeting on August 25th at the college to here the BLM's alternative solutions. At this meeting you can make your decision and comment. I should get the room number tomorrow night at the BLM Focus meeting.
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
4x4tricks
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Would you like to enter your Jeep in the 4 corners 4x4 Show N Swap?

If so let me know.
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
oldballz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Well, I spread the word around work, but I'm not sure how many people will show. I also told a few friends about it as well. Hopefully theres a good turn out of OHV users that'll speak up. I'll be there after work for sure. Henderson fine arts bldg right? As far as the show and swap...nah I don't have anything special to "show", but I may check it out for some parts.
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
4x4tricks
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone who wishes to submit their scoping comments electronically may do so through this address nm_ffo_comments@blm.gov. These comments will be accepted through September 30th. Hope to see you at the show!

Rick
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
oldballz
2011 JK Wrangler 

So I caught about the last 5 minutes of this meeting. I dont know what the old open and limited OHV boundries were, but whats proposed doesn't look bad to me. Am I missing anything?
Unread 08-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
4x4tricks
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately I didn't get to see that. I had to leave as they were starting the presentation.

Rick
4x4tricks.com
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
Vixen
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Glade run Cleanup!

check environmental for info, also taking public comments on future usage. AND A FREE TSHIRT!!! LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.