4x4 wont engage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > New Mexico Jeep Forum > 4x4 wont engage

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
fuzzywombat
1990 XJ Cherokee 

4x4 wont engage

hey guys i just got a 1990 jeep cherokee XJ and went to go do some off roading and to find out the 4x4 dont work the rear end will engage but the front end wont any suggetstions or ideas would be great thanks

fuzzywombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I guess the first obvious question is; Does it have a front drive shaft?

When you say the rear engages, do you mean that you can feel the t-case shifting into 4-hi and 4-low?

I'm not sure when they quit doing it, but I know that the earlier XJs and YJs had that stupid vacuum motor on the passenger side of the axle that would engage the axle when you put it in 4WD. There are different ways to address those when they go bad that range from repairing the vacuum (which may just need a new line) to making it cable operated, or removing the vacuum motor, covering the hole, and replacing the axle shaft, eliminating the need for it.
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You would get more exposure to the problem if this question were in 'Cherokee Tech' , not NM. Check out this thread there...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...ks-tsbs-89273/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.