Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

White Rim Trail?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Cliff333 
#1 ·
Hi - I'm kinda new to off roading (most in the beartooths, and around our home in Jackson Wyoming) and looking at taking a 3-5 day trip on the White Rim trail. I have a stock TJ, upgraded tires, that's about it. Would we be ok on that road? Any suggestions, advice welcome. Thanks!

#2 ·
It would be fine. In fact, my wife (then girlfriend) and I rented a stock YJ Wrangler in Moab and took it around the White Rim trail back in 2005. One of our most favorite trips ever.

The trail is actually comprised of old service roads from when they mined Uranium from that area. There are a few steep sections, and several (Potato Bottom, e.g.) that you'll need to scout ahead to make sure nobody's started down the opposite way. You could probably traverse the whole 70 miles in 2WD...

Funny you would post this question - as my wife and I just bought a used 04 Rubicon -- our first jeep - to 'knock around' parts of California and Nevada in -- pretty much as a result of that White Rim trail trip.

--Neill

#4 ·
If the trail is dry you won't have any problems. Like the previous post said, check the weather. The trail can get pretty challenging when the mud is snotty and slick. I've heard the Shafer switchbacks can be down right dangerous when they are muddy.

#6 ·
Like others said unless the trail is wet it is fairly easy. I went 3/4 of the way to the Shafer switchbacks with a rental minivan like 5 years ago LOL I just moved 20 miles north of Moab and me and my family are planning a spring trip around the White Rim as well. Post some dates when you get them figured out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.