JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Arizona Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f320/)
-   -   Tucson (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f320/tucson-1366434/)

JKChris 05-08-2012 10:11 AM

Tucson

Where are some good places to wheel in Tucson?

Aaron0028 05-10-2012 12:16 AM

There's some fun trails up reddington I have done

JKChris 05-10-2012 06:16 AM

Is Reddington what Tanque Verde turns into if you head east? I think I know where you mean. It is pretty cool up there.

goldenglory18 05-10-2012 09:49 AM

There is an area that is fun to explore out in Marana.

I10 exit 236. Head east on that major drive past the new build neighborhoods. That road turns to a dirt road and form there have fun. It's not hard by any means but it's a place to get the jeep dirty. :D

USAXJ 05-10-2012 10:29 AM

Reddington is fun but there's just too much rock for my liking. Charelou gap is my personal favorite nearby. Rail x ranch is fun; there's nothing challenging out there by any stretch of the imagination but like you said, it's a fun place to get dirty. Helvetia is fun and nearby and nothing really challenging out there either. The fun part about it is finding where all the trails go since there's just so many of them.

goldenglory18 05-10-2012 01:42 PM

Where is Helvetia?

I like exploring more than crawling as well. :cheers:

JKChris 05-10-2012 01:47 PM

Man, I gotta figure out where all these places are!

USAXJ 05-10-2012 03:27 PM

Helvetia.

South on Old Nogales hwy, left at Sahuarita rd (by old abandoned fuel station) take 3rd right after orchard ends(I think it's Santa Rita rd.) then follow until it turns to dirt, then keep going. You can get there from the Sonoita/ Patagonia hwy but I'm not familiar with that route. Mostly easy with a few obstacles, the fun comes from the endless trails and old abandoned mines to play in.

The Gap.

Oracle rd. north to Golder Canyon, turn east on golder then north on Canada del Oro. Go past Mirival (about 3 miles or so) then you'll see a dirt staging area. Be sure to sign in so they know who to go looking for if you get lost. The gap is fairly easy with some medium to difficult obstacles. Overall not a bad way to spend a day exploring.

Rail X Ranch:

Oracle rd. north and turn west at county change sign on a dirt road with a metal sign (just before the divided hwy begins). Nothing challenging at all just a fun place to go play. It is state trust land so you'll need a permit ($15 to the ASLD) and no matter how fun it looks you must stay out of the stock ponds. I went splashing through one and got stuck for a couple of hours. When I got out there was a Sheriff deputy waiting for me. He let me go but it took some serious *** kissing on my part. Also, if you make it all the way back to the mine proceed with caution. That is a active mine and private property. There's also rumors of a rogue rancher out there that shoots in your direction to scare you. I haven't experienced the shooting but I did stumble across the mine. Shooting is banned out there as well so you can bring a gun but will lose it if you get caught shooting it.

rboots 05-10-2012 07:52 PM

I found a trail out here in Vail that heads to a place called Papago Spings, didn't go all the way to the end but it was a decent trail. Kinda short, more like a good warm up trail, and nice country.

Gas lines are almost always a good run. I stare at google maps and find pretty good stuff, just pick a dirt road and go. Personally the wife and I go for old mines and that's always good wheelin.

Aaron0028 05-10-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKChris (Post 13546004)
Is Reddington what Tanque Verde turns into if you head east? I think I know where you mean. It is pretty cool up there.

Yes tanque verde turns into it once you reach the dirt road. I like it up there but wanna try some new stuff.

JKChris 05-11-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAXJ
Helvetia.

South on Old Nogales hwy, left at Sahuarita rd (by old abandoned fuel station) take 3rd right after orchard ends(I think it's Santa Rita rd.) then follow until it turns to dirt, then keep going. You can get there from the Sonoita/ Patagonia hwy but I'm not familiar with that route. Mostly easy with a few obstacles, the fun comes from the endless trails and old abandoned mines to play in.

The Gap.

Oracle rd. north to Golder Canyon, turn east on golder then north on Canada del Oro. Go past Mirival (about 3 miles or so) then you'll see a dirt staging area. Be sure to sign in so they know who to go looking for if you get lost. The gap is fairly easy with some medium to difficult obstacles. Overall not a bad way to spend a day exploring.

Rail X Ranch:

Oracle rd. north and turn west at county change sign on a dirt road with a metal sign (just before the divided hwy begins). Nothing challenging at all just a fun place to go play. It is state trust land so you'll need a permit ($15 to the ASLD) and no matter how fun it looks you must stay out of the stock ponds. I went splashing through one and got stuck for a couple of hours. When I got out there was a Sheriff deputy waiting for me. He let me go but it took some serious *** kissing on my part. Also, if you make it all the way back to the mine proceed with caution. That is a active mine and private property. There's also rumors of a rogue rancher out there that shoots in your direction to scare you. I haven't experienced the shooting but I did stumble across the mine. Shooting is banned out there as well so you can bring a gun but will lose it if you get caught shooting it.

Thanks for the info! It is about time I did some exploring around here!

JKChris 05-11-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rboots
I found a trail out here in Vail that heads to a place called Papago Spings, didn't go all the way to the end but it was a decent trail. Kinda short, more like a good warm up trail, and nice country.

Gas lines are almost always a good run. I stare at google maps and find pretty good stuff, just pick a dirt road and go. Personally the wife and I go for old mines and that's always good wheelin.

I live near Sahuarita. There is all kinds of mines around here. I should check that out.

Thanks for all the responses!

rboots 05-13-2012 02:22 PM

BTW I found this website "http://borntourist.com/gallery2/v/wheeling/arizona/" and I dont know this guy or anything but he's got alot of pics from alot of trails here in Az. Led me to the 3R mine a couple months back which was a great run.

JKChris 05-13-2012 07:00 PM

That's awesome! Thanks man!

dwayTJ 05-26-2012 02:25 AM

USAXJ had some good info. I live about 10 min from Charouleau Gap and Rail X and am usually up there quite a bit, although its been a few months since I've been to the Gap. Will probably head up there sometime this weekend actually. Its not as fun since the USFS graded a lot of the trail, but still a very cool place. Also I've been shooting at Rail X many times, often with big groups and no attempt to be stealthy about it. We've never had any problems, so I don't know if it's legal now, or no one cares, or we've just gotten lucky.....

I haven't explored any of the Sahuarita area, but it sounds like I should.

And I wheel with Wildcat Off Road, the club at the U of A (although you don't have to be a student or alumni there; I'm neither). We mostly run Reddington unless it's a big overnight trip, either Chiva Falls/Pools or Chimney Rock. We have a night trip planned for Thursday to Reddington, look us up on Facebook or our website if you wanna join a run sometime :cheers:

The time now is 06:54 AM.