Thinking about joining the state. How are car laws? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Arizona Jeep Forum > Thinking about joining the state. How are car laws?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Thinking about joining the state. How are car laws?

You read it right, how are car laws around AZ? Coming from California, anything emissions related will be a relief I'm sure.

Yearly inspections?
Registration costs?
Overly dumb bumper height laws?
Why not... emissions?
Anything else you can think of

I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
donny7675

No yearly inspections. No emissions depending on where you live. Registered my 93 yj in February and got 4 years of registration for $60
donny7675 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Laws are not near what you get in Cal. Metro areas in AZ do have smog check. Check here. we make it back to cal a few times every year to wheel. az is kind of central 4x4 area. North is Utah, west Cal and Nevada. East Nm. If you get bored in your back yard its not to far to some great palces.

All in all though most areas nothing if you live outside of Phoenix or Tucson. Heck in this town you can drive a KH Jeep on road as long as it has lights plates insurance. There is a lot of Jeepers around as well.
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

My 1980 Toyota and 74 Blazer each cost me 10 bucks a year plus tax and fees, so right under 20 bucks, no inspections. I dont have mud flaps on the SUV's, Blazer and Jeep and dont have any issues. The Toyota has mud flaps because its a truck, but I have never lived anywhere like AZ, with as easy as it is to register a vehicle. I lived in CA, till I was 25 and got tickets for window tint, loud exhaust and other things I dont even think about here.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Don't kid yourself. Laws that aren't enforced on the street ARE enforced at the MVD inspection. If you're not in compliance at the inspection you're not going to get registration. Arizona inspects ALL motor vehicles coming in from out of state, even off road stuff for VINs, compliance, etc.

After...

However...

As to those "dumb bumper height laws"...

No, you didn't do it, but my son was a victim to someone who didn't pay attention to those "dumb laws". We were T-boned at an intersection making a left turn under a green arrow. A kid in a lifted 4Runner style pick up blew the light doing at least 60MPH. Because of his illegally lifted truck bumper was so high, it didn't strike the guard inside my son's door, but climbed over it. I can't tell you my son wouldn't have been injured if the truck wasn't lifted so high, but it is unlikely he would've been killed. Sometimes there are valid reasons for those "dumb laws".

I'll step off the box now. don't mean to cast a downer on things, but as I said sometimes there are good reasons for things.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

No worries, that's why I included the "overly" part in that stipulation. Like anything above factory = bad. Can't deal with that. So long as the laws make sense I'm more than good with it.

Sounds like stuff isn't bad at all out there.

I'm looking for a place on a few acres, preferably away from all the crazies like John McCain. Now somebody recommend me a place to live that isn't 90+ in August
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I brought a car from cal to Az in 1989 that had been parked for years not able to pass their. No inspection, on my 71 z28 no smog on it all removed and all performance 454. Was on the road after sitting for years. The town was Prescott. Never an issue. This town you could ride a open wheeled 1000hp go cart. As long as it has lights tags and insurance. Heck about every gas station in this town has 100-107 octane LEADED gas. Or Unleaded 100. Pump gas. But it aint cheep.
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

I just got back from visiting Payson this weekend, I believe in Rim county? I really liked it, but I don't think the job market will be all that great. How about Flagstaff? I hear it isn't as hot as Phoenix / Mesa.
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

We used to live in ShowLow, drove through Payson many times. Most the towns up there are recreational, mostly service industries.

Flag is the biggest mountain town, the University. Flag, Payson ,showlow(all the rim) all are far less heat but you are up in the pines to.

Work depends on what you do, where you could live. Phx is like any big city, tons of people, more jobs more rules. Its hot all summer long. Down in the desert some places are much hotter than others.
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

As mentioned, it's going to depend alot on where you want to live as far as laws are concerned. The "best" MVD laws are primarily reserved for the rural areas. Except your driver's license renewal. Provided you don't get mulitple infratctions on your license, you won't have to renew it until you're 65. After that it's every 5 years I believe. That's by far the smartest DL law in this country IMO.

I too came from out of state and my vehicle was inspected very closely the first year, and I live practically in the middle of nowhere. Failed in fact the first time, which I never failed in South Carolina which has yearly inspections. So go figure.
Sandlapper3396 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper3396 View Post
As mentioned, it's going to depend alot on where you want to live as far as laws are concerned. The "best" MVD laws are primarily reserved for the rural areas. Except your driver's license renewal. Provided you don't get mulitple infratctions on your license, you won't have to renew it until your 65. After that it's every 5 years I believe. That's by far the smartest DL law in this country IMO.

I too came from out of state and my vehicle was inspected very closely the first year, and I live practically in the middle of nowhere. Failed in fact the first time, which I never failed in South Carolina which has yearly inspections. So go figure.
How about a 1980 CJ that's currently registered as an antique? Think I'll have many problems? I'm not too worried about the super duty
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

Here are some links. I don't know specifics off the top of my head. Just glancing over it seems that antiques go through the same registration process. That is kind of surprising to me actually.

General information

http://www.dmv.com/az/arizona/custom...e-registration

AZ Department of Transportation
http://www.azdot.gov/MVD/RegRenewal/RenewalInfo.asp

My Rodeo (vehicle i failed the inspection on) was a beater however it was mechanically sound. I had just driven across the country after all. I can't remember the specifics of the failure as it was 10+ years ago. However it had to be something simple as I just went to autozone. Came back the next day and passed.
Sandlapper3396 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
DunmerBoy
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Arizona actually doesn't require mudflaps on SUV's
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

As long as your lights and signals work, its smooth sailing. AZ is one of the most lenient states that I've seen when it comes to vehicle laws and requirements etc.

But why AZ? I see you were also checking out Texas...Do you like the heat? Or are you just a glutton for punishment?

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Flagstaff has a high cost of living and virtually no high paying jobs. Most of available positions are in seasonal tourism work, service industry jobs, and some low end government work. When I was at the university there recently, the best job I could find was as a part time bartender, even though I hold several degrees and have a lot of work experience.

Most of Maricopa and Pima counties [metro Phoenix and metro Tucson] are subject to mandated EPA emissions and emission equipment inspections for cars, trucks, and SUVs. Vehicle license taxes are high unless you own a 20+ year old vehicle.

What seems to be no law is actually little enforcement and window tinting is a good example. Arizona does have standards on window tinting and an overwhelming majority of vehicles on the road have excessive window tint on the front side windows. The police may or may not enforce the law regularly, but do use it as probable cause to stop the vehicle.

Keep in mind that as more people move here, the laws and political environment have been changing. As a native, I remember when Phoenix had a population of 500,000 and it was easy to open a business, modify a vehicle, etc. Those days are disappearing as more people want the same laws they once left behind.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.